Help...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
95%

Post by 95% »

Here's a thought. It's possible that hot water is irritating your skin. Today in the "Share your tips and tricks" thread I discovered, thanks to Giammi, that it's possible to get an excellent shave by applying lather to a dry face. Brush it on, then work the lather into your beard with your fingers. Smooth it out with your brush and begin shaving. Use COLD water to rinse the razor and your face between passes. I had a wonderfully close and comfortable shave by this method.
Porter
giammi

Post by giammi »

CMur12 wrote:Is this a new development?

It's normal when the whiskers are darker than the skin to still see the beard, even after a close shave.

- Murray
A friend of mine has this. A perfect BBS shave, but when you watch from some distance you would think that the guy did not shave.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
Sensitive_Skin

Problem solved!

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to my topic, I owe you all a big thank you for your kindness.

CMUR12 sent me a lovely old Gillette Tech razor and its cured my cuts, burns and bumps. I can now get a lovely smooth shave.

Here's my new routine: (I shave only 3 times a week to give my skin a rest...Hopefully over time when my skin hardens I'll start shaving every other day then every day)

1. Warm shower. Apply Gillette Thermal Scrub. Really cleans dirt and stuff off my neck and warms the skin.

2. Proraso Green Tea Shaving Soap and Cheap brush.
1950's Gilette Fatboy Tech, Derby blades (these blades are incredible)

3. 2 passes both down. I have not shaved up and against the grain at all and my skin is really thanking me for it.

4. Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm

Thanks again to everyone!!!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

We're always happy to see someone who has come here with shaving-related problems solve those problems - and your beard-skin situation is often particularly daunting. So, this is very good news indeed.

It's hard to say how often you'll end of up shaving. I still only shave three times a week, as the skin on my neck is pretty delicate. It has always been so, but it gets worse as I get older. If I had to shave more often, it wouldn't be as thorough a shave as I do now (for starters, I would discontinue the against-the-grain/ATG pass).

Thanks for the encouraging update, and please stick with us. You're doing great!

- Murray