thinking of shaving my head

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Waggy

thinking of shaving my head

Post by Waggy »

as the title suggest i am thinking of shaving my head. I have always wanted to do it but my wife said no. well i am going through a divorce and figured what the hell why not?

i have 2 DE sets already.

so any tips? suggestions? warnings?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

You have been with this with trimmers?

I nkow cause I am on the shorter comb and it is max 18 mm, and always the danger of getting it adjusted to a few mms instead.

Or you are just desperate to have a bald look? Why not have a trimmer one first? Have you tried?
Jarmo
Waggy

Post by Waggy »

JarmoP wrote:You have been with this with trimmers?

I nkow cause I am on the shorter comb and it is max 18 mm, and always the danger of getting it adjusted to a few mms instead.

Or you are just desperate to have a bald look? Why not have a trimmer one first? Have you tried?
i use a trimmer and use the lowest setting. its like less then 1/16 (i think). but i have no hair on top and while rocking the Cpt Picard look is nice its getting old. been thinking of just going total bald for a while and see how it is.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

then maybe a cartridge? I would use for one. Human hair is not like a beard. Much less tough to shave, only all the contours to follow on your skull :)

If you used a DE for the first time, imagine all the hurts.
Jarmo
Waggy

Post by Waggy »

JarmoP wrote:then maybe a cartridge? I would use for one. Human hair is not like a beard. Much less tough to shave, only all the contours to follow on your skull :)

If you used a DE for the first time, imagine all the hurts.
ohh good point. think i still have a old mach3 in my drawer.
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

I don't have any advice, but you may get some here.
Also, maybe surf the web for 'head shave forums' or 'head shaving forums. etc, there are a few out there. They may have plenty of advice and offer you plenty of moral support to boot. :lol: I'm not affiliated with any of them but I've seen them around and we get some stray members from them sometimes. Otherwise we'll help out here best we can!
Rob
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'm a head shaver, and I use a cart. If my skin wasn't bump-prone, I'd use the Hydro or a newer Gillette -- the heads will last forever.

But I am bump prone, so I use a 2-blade Sensor every few days.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Do it and deal with it.
Ed
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

When I shaved my head about 10 months ago, I started out with a Mach 3. I tried it with a DE, but there are a lot of contours on your head that are incredibly difficult to follow. I went back to the DE, but have since just started using a Bic Sensitive disposable, which seems to be working juts fine.
Regards,
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I only know of a couple of head shavers using a de. I HIGHLY recommend the fusion even more so in your case when you have never shaved your head before. I think you are asking for trouble using a de

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Magic learner

Post by Magic learner »

hey waggy, I've been thinking of doing something similar but will wait till summer 2011.

These guys might have some good advice for you though

http://www.slybaldguys.com/headshaving.php
The road to success is always under construction . . .
Waggy

Post by Waggy »

Magic learner wrote:hey waggy, I've been thinking of doing something similar but will wait till summer 2011.

waiting until summer might be good. don't want to freeze my head.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

First, I recommend shaving your head in spring. Wear a hat most days and let your scalp adjust to getting sun slowly.

Then on shaving your head. I use a DE, though the headblade is also very popular. Whatever you do, I recommend using a razor you're already comfortable using. I don't think it's difficult to transfer from using a razor on your face to using it on your head. It is difficult to learn to use a new razor when you can't see what you're doing (shaving the back of the head).
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Magic learner

Post by Magic learner »

Waggy wrote:
Magic learner wrote:hey waggy, I've been thinking of doing something similar but will wait till summer 2011.

waiting until summer might be good. don't want to freeze my head.

that's exactly what i thought :wink:
The road to success is always under construction . . .
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

As someone who has shaved their head with a straight, a Feather AC, a LOT of DEs and almost all disposable and cartridge razors - I can say (for me) the Gillette Fusion is the very best tool available for shaving the head.

. . . and, if you really, really want the very best head-shave . . . use a tiny drop (1ml ish) of Baby Oil instead of cream or soap.

Fair do, it'll leave your sink a greasy mess of whiskers and your razor might get clogged up quicker but you will never have a closer, smoother shave.

Remember - you heard it here.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Joe is right...a drop of baby oil works wonders on a head shave...

...I just wish my skin could take it. I had a head full of zits, even after I tried the scrub, Joe. Still, it is a great idea...maybe olive oil...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I say why not try it? The beauty of hair is that it grows back, so no real risk.

I'll echo the comment on the Fusion.
I haven't used a Feather AC on my head, but I've used DE, injector, straight, Trac II and probably others. The Fusion is the easiest, by far, and lasts weeks.

If you're running the Picard look, I doubt shaving will feel much different over the winter months. No hat hair is, of course, another benefit :wink:
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic