beard growth pattern

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
drumana

beard growth pattern

Post by drumana »

It's become second nature to me - knowing my beard growth pattern. I don't think about it anymore. My hands just do the work on their own.

While I was shaving this morning, I had a sudden awareness of how important it is to know this basic information. For me, it's paramount when shaving my neck, where my beard growth switches 180 degrees on a dime in one particular spot by my adam's apple. Going north to south is with the grain, but when I move the razor 2mm over to the left it's against the grain. Knowing this allows me to shave accordingly and avoid dreaded razor burn and irritation.

Anyways, just a reminder to any newbies out there. If you are getting persistent irritation or nicks in one particular spot, you might benefit from making sure you are shaving with the grain on the first pass. And to do this, you must know your beard growth pattern.
-Andrew-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andrew, A timely reminder for sure.
Regards,
Gordon
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have a similar experience with my neck as well. Shaving the neck for me requires thought.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I stopped trying to "memorize" my beard growth pattern. I have the same direction-change issues on my neck, Adam's Apple area, and jaw line. I realized that I could feel the transition to a different direction, and when I feel it, I stop and change shaving direction. Learning to feel the whiskers forces you to maintain a light tough and proper angle. You can feel when you meet whiskers going sideways to the razor or against it.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Julius_Rodman

Re: beard growth pattern

Post by Julius_Rodman »

drumana wrote:It's become second nature to me - knowing my beard growth pattern. I don't think about it anymore. My hands just do the work on their own.

While I was shaving this morning, I had a sudden awareness of how important it is to know this basic information. For me, it's paramount when shaving my neck, where my beard growth switches 180 degrees on a dime in one particular spot by my adam's apple. Going north to south is with the grain, but when I move the razor 2mm over to the left it's against the grain. Knowing this allows me to shave accordingly and avoid dreaded razor burn and irritation.

Anyways, just a reminder to any newbies out there. If you are getting persistent irritation or nicks in one particular spot, you might benefit from making sure you are shaving with the grain on the first pass. And to do this, you must know your beard growth pattern.

and watch out for your nose.

comprises 90% of my nics and cuts.

some day i'll learn

------------
drumana

Post by drumana »

Julius - Your nose? How do you manage to nick your nose? Must be huge :lol:

Dave - That's a good point. Feeling the beard growth pattern through the razor must be a great way to keep light on the pressure an pay attention to the task at hand. I'll give that a try.
-Andrew-
Crazy_Nate

Post by Crazy_Nate »

I'll admit...I have nicked my nose :?

I hadn't had much practice and I was trying to maneuver a Futur in for that last bit of mustache hair that I wasn't quite getting.

It's painful. :shock:
Nate

Merkur Futur / 12C, Feather / 7 O'Clock Yellow / Derby
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nate, Ah!...a Futur you say? That would explain it (chuckle).
Regards,
Gordon
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

drumana wrote:Julius - Your nose? How do you manage to nick your nose? Must be huge :lol:

Dave - That's a good point. Feeling the beard growth pattern through the razor must be a great way to keep light on the pressure an pay attention to the task at hand. I'll give that a try.

not really that huge, fortunately...

accidently touching it and the blade angle is most damaging when i do

leaves perfectly horizontal cuts on the outside flap.

------------------------

Kent
Last edited by Julius_Rodman on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I first realized I was feeling the direction of beard growth subconsciously. It was on my jaw line where I was getting lousy shaves more than irritation. I would automatically stop and shave in a differnet direction to go WTG. I guess I already had the "feel" of WTG since I was shaving WTG when I ran into the whiskers going the "wrong way". The same thing happened when I was going ATG and ran into the jaw line direction change. Once I "woke up" to what was happening, I paid attention in the Adam's Apple area (irritation) and on the lateral neck, where those PIA whiskers lie flat on your skin.
If only my instincts were this good picking stocks, movies, books, faster traffic lanes.... :?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)