Ouch, Two rough shaves in as many days

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

Ouch, Two rough shaves in as many days

Post by cadfael_tex »

Went one too many days on the Iridium blade I'd used all week on sunday and a section of hamburger where my neck used to be. I changed the blade to a Derby; hadn't been using these for a bit after starting out with them. Ouch for the second day in a row :( Every stroke all over my face was like sandpaper -a LOT of pulling and tugging. Even cut back to two passes this morning (wtg, xtg)

I'm wondering if using the Derby is just not worth it. My inner cheapness is keeping them in the cabinet but after this morning I may pass them on. How do you know if a blade isn't for you?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Shaving two days in a row on a raw neck was probably more to blame than the blade. You should probably take a day or two off if you can to let your neck recover. Then when you go back take extra care with angle and pressure, and do no more than two passes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

agreed with wendell on this..

lets understand, some blades are sharper than others, some are smoother, some last longer,,some work well in a certain razors and others not so good..and on and on and on

some blades you well like and some you won't ,,

but when you are using a certain blade and it working ok for you, and then you begin having troubles

you need to first ditch that blade and try a fresh one...after that i would have to think you need to take a look at your shaving technique..
you changed something.. or just go back to the basics

don't always blame the blade,, most problems from shaving are not the product,, but how you using the product..

marc
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jww wrote:Shaving two days in a row on a raw neck was probably more to blame than the blade. You should probably take a day or two off if you can to let your neck recover. Then when you go back take extra care with angle and pressure, and do no more than two passes.
+1 - take a day off - if you absolutely must shave (eg. for work) just do a single WTG pass - in the meantime, practice your lathering! :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
cadfael_tex

Post by cadfael_tex »

Problem is that I'm a Soldier and cannot take a day off. The first day was totally me getting lazy with technique. I was very careful the next day and it hurt in more than just the area I had buggered up the day before.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Outside chance that your razor might have succumbed to some mechanical problem causing blade misalignment ?. Doesn't take much to FUBAR that blade gap.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

cadfael_tex wrote:Problem is that I'm a Soldier and cannot take a day off. The first day was totally me getting lazy with technique. I was very careful the next day and it hurt in more than just the area I had buggered up the day before.
Retired Sergeant Major Here,

If you buggered up your face with a DE, give it a rest and use a single/double blade disposable for a few days (gently). Don't irritate your skin. After you heal remember these words of wisdom:

Preparation, Preparation, Preparation (PCI "Pre Combat Inspections).
Technique, Technique, Technique (Aim Center Mass, TTPs, Lessons Learned, SOPs etc.)
Take Your Time (Observe your lane of fire and the surrounding area, and don't forget to watch your back)
Remember, It's not a race, It's your face (Pay attention to detail)

Any of this ring a bell... :-k

Thank you for your service to our country... =D>
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

What Oscar said.
Regards,
Squire
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm sitting up straighter after what Oscar said! :lol:

...But all good advice
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

it's very possible you got a bad blade to start with. it has been known to happen. about the gash in your neck,,, maybe you're rushing the shave or you're getting heavy handed with your razor. bad blade angle coming on to the face like a freight train is a recipe for disaster
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

+3 to Oscar!

I also had to stop at one point and go back to basics. That really helped!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS