I'm Hooked and haven't even Wet Shaved Yet

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mur

Post by mur »

My First 3/4 Wet Shave Completed... :oops:

Well my first 3/4 wet shave with a DE razor isn't exactly close, not too consistent and actually a bit harder than what I expected.

Pregame tools included.

1) 40's Gillette Tech
2) Williams Soap
3) Thayer's Witch Hazel
4) Mary Kay Moisturizer (Wife gift last Xmas)

I have both a Merkur 34 HD and Gilette Tech, I chose the G-Tech since it is a less agressive razor.
Started out by whipping up the Williams soap, when I got a good lather (at least what I thought was good), I placed a hot towel on my face for a few Minutes. Whipped up the soap a bit more, then generously applied the lather.

My Stubble was about 1/8 to 3/16th long, I started on the face cheek area applying no pressure and going with the grain, so far so good :o
Although it took me much more than 4 passes...

The neck area also went fairly well, slow but ok. The issue I had was along the chin area, I could not figure out how to shave the area without a bunch of pulling. I was hesitant to apply anymore pressure and actually gave up and used a Mach 3 to finish up (so I finished 3/4 of the DE shave ) :oops:
I ended with splashing cold water, then padding with the Witch Hazel and Finally the Mary Kay lotion (which sucked)

Questions I have are.

1) should I not have started out with so much facial hair for my first shave?
2) My lather started drying out and I had to relather 2 times, I assume I needed more foam, water? and I was going too slow
3. How the Hell you shave the chin Area without a bunch of pulling :(
4. How many shaves typically do a razor last for?
5. What is a good Aftershave Balm for me, I read a bunch of threads in the Aftershave forum, however it got confusing. I'm not huge on scents however a very mild one is accepted and a light moisturizer is preferred.
6. Can you over stretch the skin?
7. I had no nicks or cuts, however with more stubble, maybe I should have used the Merkur 34c (which I also have)

All in all I guess I did fairly well, I mean, I didn't bleed all over the sink :lol: :lol:
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

#2 - You need to use a LOT of Williams for a proper shave. Load it up.
#4 - For me, I use a blade for a week before changing.
#7 - That was a good first time shave. Don't worry.
Ed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

1. More stubble means more passes for most. I shave every day, except when I miss, then I will sometimes go a couple or three days between. :wink:
2. +1 to what Ed said
3. Blade buffing and j-hook, my friend.
4. 3-5 there is no science to this. Change the blade when you start to feel it pulling rather than cutting.
5. Do you need a balm? I'm a skin food fan -- works where other products don't for me.
6. Hmm -- never thought about that before -- I always stretch my skin. It's a habit I picked up from when I dad taught me to shave 35+ years ago.
7. +1 to what Ed said -- again.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i think you would be happy with just about any aftershave balm from a drugstore. myelf, i need an alcohol aftershave or the effects of shaving never subside

what kind of blade are you using?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
mur

Post by mur »

Thanks Guys...

More passes, more stubble ok, got it makes sense, I thought I was being to cautious and taking the no pressure thing too literally
Ok, I'll try and lather the soap a bit more
Blade buffing and j-hook, hhmmm, I'll have to figure out what that means..lol
Blade was a Thin Gillette, I think it came with the razor, I also purchased a sample pack from West Coast Shaving, haven't got that far though.
I actually don't know if I need an aftershave/balm or not, I usually don't get Razor burn or irritation after shaving.
Actually It seems like the Thayer's Witch Hazel cleaning was enough, however I wouldn't mind a slight moisturizer not oily though, I dunno.
Although I want to find the best combination of foam, razor, skin conditioner, etc..I like things simple
:lol:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Mur, you can apply a tiny bit of pressure to a Gillette Tech. Use a lighter touch with the Merkur, however. The most critical bit of learning is getting the blade angle just right for optimal cutting, which will be different for each razor. I would stick with the Tech until you get your technique down, and then try the Merkur.

When you said you did 3 passes, do you mean that you did one with the grain (WTG), one across the grain (XTG), and one against the grain (ATG)? If so, I would skip the ATG pass until you have more experience. This is the most irritating pass and many don't even do it. Some do 2 XTG passes, going at different diagonals, and get similar results without the ATG pass and with less irritation.

Thayer's Witch Hazel has aloe vera in it, so you will get light moisturizing with it alone. This is what I use, and I rub it into the skin with a tiny bit of lather residue. This can be quite soothing to the skin.

- Murray
mur

Post by mur »

Cmur12,

I did all passes WTG or XTG, I din't attempt the ATG for obvious reasons..hehehe

I'll bust the Tech out again on Sunday and try my luck...

BTW, my last name is Murray, thus my shortened name Mur, original I know... :mrgreen:
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My name is Kavanaugh, shortened to Kav. Just remember billions of men have mastered shaving and they weren't nearly as good looking or smart as us.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My full name is John Wendell Nephi Richard Wagner -- thus the jww :wink:

I have found pressure and blade angle to be equally important to me. My undated gold tech loaded with a Feather blade is one of my favourite matches for razor and blade, and provides outstanding results. A close second is a Derby Extra in my blue-tipped superspeed. These tend to be my go-to combinations.

I would only suggest multiple passes in three different directions --- and not multiple passes in the same direction -- just a thought. The other thing that I would not get caught up in is the notion of bbs perfection each and every time. As soon as I simply enjoyed the experience, I found my own personal bbs sweet spot.

Blade buffing and j-hook have been my saving technique for some time. Mantic has a good video on advanced techniques here.

One other thing I do from a technique point of view is to angle the razor head slightly -- a bit of a variation on the Gillette Slide. I do the pass straight but angle the actual razor so that the head is crossing my skin rather like a snowplough pushes snow. This way I am not attaching the whiskers in a direct angle, and it seems to help reduce irritation for me significantly. Especially in the XTG and ATG passes. This replicates the effect of shaving with a slant razor and works quite well for me.
Wendell

KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Multiple WTG passes are suggested for new shavers as the hand is trained to remember shave angle and pressure.One must learn to walk before waltzing.
mur

Post by mur »

OK,

Second attempt went much better, I assume it went better because I had very little stuble :lol:
I did a bunch of Blade buffing on my chin and I think it went very well, however I think I'll hold off on the J-Hook for now.
I did get a pretty good razor burn the right side of my neck though, which I still feel now 4 hours later, ouch :(
I did apply the Thayer's Witch Hazel after the shave, however maybe I need something for the razor burn, besides better technique :lol:

Also I read that you should keep your Razor Dry after shaving, I dry the razor off then place it on the shelf. Should I place it in a box after each use, will the daily shower moisture effect it?
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

It took me a few months before I was more comfortable with a DE than cartridge razor. You have been given lots of good advices, that I am quite sure is not possible to absorb at the moment.

To your last question: It is best of course to allow the blade dry as fast a possble. typically shaking the razor and then putting it away in a place that is not too humid.

Wellcome to the forum and to DE shaving (I hope you persist in keeping it) that will eventually give you most likely better shaves.
Jarmo
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The best way to prevent razor burn is to be cautious of pressure and angle. Reducing the number of passes on the neck area helps as well -- you know if you don't shave the area, then you are not likely to get razor burn. :wink:

Post shaving products which I find really good for razor burn is The Body Shop Razor Relief and Brave Soldier Code Blue. Or -- rub some ice-cubes -- nice cooling affect with no burn. Of course the ice is symptomatic treatment only, but boy it feels really good. :D
Wendell

Dizzyfun

Post by Dizzyfun »

Welcome!
The sampler pack, as a few others have mentioned is a great idea. I put off buying a sampler pack for about a year, now I'm glad I did.
Good luck in your shaving endeavors.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey mur, welcome aboard. You are off to a good start just keep us posted.
Regards,
Squire
mur

Post by mur »

OK,

I've completed 5 more shaves. I first started out using a Thin Gillette Blade which came with the Gillette Tech.
I just switched the blade out for a Derby Extra Blade from one of the sample packs.
What a difference, the blade was much sharper and cut through my 4 day stubble with ease. However I'm not quite sure it's all blade since I'm pretty sure my technic is improved :lol:

Are the Gillette Thin Blades any good, maybe I got a bad batch?
The Package was dark red on top and black on the bottom, are these good blades?

Update, here is a PIC (Top one)

Besides the Derby blades in the sample pack, there was also Personna Platinum, Feather, Astra and Crystal Platinum.
I feel like stopping and just use the Derby Blades now.

Also are blades more cost effective locally or online, and where do I get them.

One more question, how are blades disposed of?
I initially just dropped it in the trash, however it didn't look to be a safe way of discarding it.

Thank you
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i put a slit in one of the boxes that my soap/cream comes in and use it as a blade bank.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Mur,

Please don't just throw your old blades in the trash. You can purchase an inexpensive blade bank from Sally's Beauty Stores or here: http://www.emsplace.com/SearchResult.as ... ade%20bank . You can also make one. There are numerous methods. I use an old Altoid can and when it's full, beat it flat with a hammer ensuring it can't be opened accidentally so as not to cut someone or some animal rummaging around in the dump.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
mur

Post by mur »

Racso_MS wrote:Mur,

Please don't just throw your old blades in the trash.
Actually thought it was unsafe when I did it and pulled it back out immediately.
Altoid can, good idea