Rinsing off the soap or cream post shave

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Tucker

Rinsing off the soap or cream post shave

Post by Tucker »

Are there any tricks to rinsing off the soap or cream post shave? Once I started traditional wetshaving, I took to showering after the shave. The reason being that the lather brushed on was so hard to rinse entirely off. I tried a washcloth, and also flushing my face with water repeatedly. I would prefer to shower before I shave, as I did in my cartridge and Edge Gel days. Here in Nebraska, especially in the winter months, it is critical to not leave any trace of soap or cream behind due to excessive dryness. Are there any soaps or creams that are more easily rinsed off than others, or is it just technique based? My father (a canned foam, Bic disposable user) always advocated showering before shaving, but my barber (a soap/ boar brush/ TracII user) advocates showering after the shave.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Tucker, I haven't had that problem removing lather, so I don't have any helpful advice to offer. On the other hand, I very gently wipe off the lather with the intention of leaving a tiny bit of it behind to mix with Thayer's Witch Hazel and to massage the combination of the two into my skin. I find this both soothing and moisturizing.

- Murray
95%

Post by 95% »

Tucker - With the top-shelf soaps and creams that members of this forum generally use, it shouldn't be necessary to shower afterwards. Most of the lather will be removed by the blade. The traces that remain can be washed off by flushing with cold water. Dry your face, then soak a cotton pad with witch hazel and rub it across the skin. If a few molecules of soap remain, they won't harm your skin, even in a dry climate.
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Nebraska, historically a part of the northern range for cattle and sheep herds.Come wintertime, cowboys and Blackfeet dressed their faces with animal fat.
:-k Mitchell's Wool Fat.
Last edited by KAV on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Tucker, For my post shave routine I first rinse with warm water and then cold. Then I apply my aftershave.
I find that the warm water cleans up any remaining lather and the cold rinse helps to close the pores.
I shave after a shower.

Hope this helps.

Mike
giammi

Post by giammi »

Jupiter wrote:Tucker, For my post shave routine I first rinse with warm water and then cold. Then I apply my aftershave.
I find that the warm water cleans up any remaining lather and the cold rinse helps to close the pores.
I shave after a shower.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Same procedure
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Hard water/soft water can make a big difference in ease of rinsing, depending on just how hard the hard water really is. Hard water reacts with the soap or cream, to form a layer of soap scum on your face. (The type of shaving cream most of us advocate around here, is just another kind of soap.)

Many aftershaves also have quite a pronounced drying effect, so if there are any dry-skin problems then try without aftershave for a while.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Tucker

no comment on the 'rinse off' as i like a few a other gents here dont even rinse...just a wipe with a paper towel does the trick, but since i have your eyes: what do you guys use to stop your hands from cracking in that freezing cold weather?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

fallingwickets wrote:what do you guys use to stop your hands from cracking in that freezing cold weather?
Clive, sometimes I'll use Cetaphal (sp?) as a preventative measure, or... If they're in really bad shape, I'll put Vaseline on overnight.

Mike
paddy

Post by paddy »

no comment on the 'rinse off' as i like a few a other gents here dont even rinse...just a wipe with a paper towel does the trick, but since i have your eyes: what do you guys use to stop your hands from cracking in that freezing cold weather?
neutrogena hand cream. a couple of applications per day and all is well in handland.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am a shower-then-shave-man who follows the pattern of hot rinse the cold rinse after my shave.

Clive -- firstly, I always make sure I drink plenty of water all year round, but find it particularly important in the winter -- when it's so easy to forget this. Another thing I make sure and do is to wear gloves outside at all times. Insofar as hand creams, I have two which I particularly like - The Body Shop Hemp hand Protector in the chrome tube or Bath and Body Works Look Ma, New Hands! Both are actually very good, and neither leaves behind any kind of oil residue -- they simply soak right into the skin.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

Unrefined shea butter is one of the the most skin-friendly products I know, and it's especially effective against chapped hands.
Porter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks gents. I wash my hands so many times a day its hard to keep count and every year that i get older (never had issues in my youth HAHAH) it gets worse. Last week my hands were so bad doc prescribed cortisone cream.

I hear the glove remedy a lot, but im in and out too often on the spur of the moment for that to work for me. One thing i do know for sure...creams and balms are very much like shaving stuff......one mans beaut is another mans ugly duck

again apologies for thread hijack

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

For severe hand chapping I use bag balm,available at any feed and tack store. I also massage the last bit of MWF from my brush into my hnds before final cleanup. I fear to comment on California winters;seeing what many are going through. But as multiple hand fractures bring on arthritis, gloves and mittens have become invaluable.
Tucker

dry skin

Post by Tucker »

KAV, I like the picture, and the annecdotes.

Good advise all around. We have very hard water which tends to leave a layer of soap behind.

As far as dry skin remedies for cracked hands. I use the Cetaphil lotion or generic Wal-Mart equivalent before I go to bed. I use Corn Huskers Lotion during the day, as it doesn't leave a tacky feeling behind. I also have a whole house humidifier, and run a bedroom one as well. KAV mentioned the bag balm which is not only good for teats, but hands as well. It has the consistency of Vaseline which is another option to apply before bedtime.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

To "remove" the residue (after a shower or rigorous warm/hot water rinse with wash cloth) a Witch Hazel rinse and then a witch hazel and cotton ball scrub". After that a good non alcoholic non-sensitive after shave balm (Nivea) and/or a Cetaphil application which is non hyperallegenic and absorbs pretty good.

So many products from which to choose and so little time: Experiment and let us know what happens.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tucker a simple rinse does it for me.
Regards,
Squire
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

fallingwickets wrote:Tucker

clive
Here ya go Clive: http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/ :whistle:

But, this is probably better for dry skin: http://uddercream.com/
:mrgreen:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...