Newbie needs help

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Welcome Arjan, you have already received a wellspring of information, I could not anything more. Come back often and report your progress.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

That "preannounced" stainless steel razor from Feather is already available, but the price is very high - over $150.

Someone already mentioned the Edwin Jagger razors, which have the same head as Muhle, but cost a lot less.

Another option is to try a used razor, such as a Gillette NEW, Super Speed, adjustable, or Tech. There are probably antique shops in your area that have nice old razors for low prices.

In addition to the Futur, Merkur makes another reasonably priced adjustable, the Progress.

People have gotten mixed results from razors made in Asia. They're inexpensive, but there are a lot of sample defects even in razors that people like. At least some Merkur razors have quality issues, too. I swapped my first Futur at the store for a replacement because the finish was uneven.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I note that you have stated that you decided on a Merkur. Good choice. I think you'll eventually have a chance to try a vintage Gillette, of which there are many variations, and most of those are known to be good shavers. You're on the right track now. Hope to hear back from you oftten, as you experience different combinations.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gedep

Post by Gedep »

Okay, yesterday I received my new Merkur 23C safety razor. I ordered two type of blades to experiment (Derby and Merkur) and I started with a Merkur blade.
I used Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creme.

It was quite a bloody experience :D

Shaving with a safety razor wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I had some tiny cuts (nicks in English?) around my chin.

I applied the shaving cream with a shaving brush. I dipped the brush in the jar with cream and applied it directly on my skin. I thought it was a bit dry...

kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Gedep wrote: I applied the shaving cream with a shaving brush. I dipped the brush in the jar with cream and applied it directly on my skin. I thought it was a bit dry...
No water? If so, your description of it being a "bit dry" is quite correct. The cream is more of a "lather concentrate" and needs to be worked up into a usable lather with water and a brush either in a bowl or on your face. You might want to watch this.
Ed
Gedep

Post by Gedep »

Okay, I've been shaving with my Merkur 23C for a few weeks now and I must say that it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

I definitely enjoy shaving more. Don't know if it's because this way of shaving is better or because I take more time shaving.

I indeed like the shaving cream much better than the canned stuff. First time I didn't use water, which was a interesting experience :lol:
I bought a large bowl (I think it's for soup) and that works very well building lather.

The right side of my chin area is more sensitive than my left side. Still trying to get a better shave there.

Three questions:
1. I have quite a sensitive skin. Should I shave every day or every other day (or so)?

2. How often should I change the blades? Now I change them after about three or four shaves.

3. I like the sandalwood scent a lot. I bought TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and Mühle after shave balm. At a Dutch webshop I saw a complete line of Truefitt & Hill. How are these products?

Arjan
Gedep

Post by Gedep »

Anyone?
function

Post by function »

Gedep wrote: Three questions:
1. I have quite a sensitive skin. Should I shave every day or every other day (or so)?

2. How often should I change the blades? Now I change them after about three or four shaves.

3. I like the sandalwood scent a lot. I bought TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and Mühle after shave balm. At a Dutch webshop I saw a complete line of Truefitt & Hill. How are these products?

Arjan
Three answers for you

1) You don't have sensitive skin. A common theme here is lots of people think they have sensitive skin but are just doing something wrong. Sorry if that is blunt, but it is a point that needs to be made. As your technique and skill improve you will find this to be true. If you are chewing up your skin a bit feel free to let it rest, just remember the problem is not your skin, it is your lack of practice, so keep at it, and watch Mantic's videos.

2) Number of shaves in a blade is a very relative thing. I put a new blade in every Saturday, and I shave daily, with two passes in a shave. Keep using the same brand of blade for a couple of months and see if you can notice a change in the performance of a blade after a certain number of days for you. When performance goes downhill, change blade.

3) T&H products are made by the same company that makes TOBS products, you can expect similar performance but the products are not identical. You will not be making a bad choice if you but a T&H cream.

Best of luck to you
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

Gedep wrote:Okay, I've been shaving with my Merkur 23C for a few weeks now and I must say that it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

I definitely enjoy shaving more. Don't know if it's because this way of shaving is better or because I take more time shaving.

I indeed like the shaving cream much better than the canned stuff. First time I didn't use water, which was a interesting experience :lol:
I bought a large bowl (I think it's for soup) and that works very well building lather.

The right side of my chin area is more sensitive than my left side. Still trying to get a better shave there.

Three questions:

Arjan

Shaving every day is the best way to learn the right technique and pressures for your skin... esp since it is sensitive. Shaving every other day is okay (and maybe even necessary if you have an especially sore day) but any more time off than that seems to interfere with learning the necessary coordination and muscle memory for a lot of people, myself included. Of the family and friends I have helped convert the only ones who consistently have problems converting are the few who insist on shaving only once or twice a week... they have a much harder time getting the hang of things.

Every 3 - 4 days seems about average on the forums. I change my blades (Feathers) every weekend and still get very nice comfortable shaves. I personally know a couple people who are able to change blades (also Feathers) every couple of weeks but that is pretty unusual.

Of the 3 T's, Trumper, Taylor, and Truefitt & Hill, Trumper seems to have the best reputation for the most comfortable shaving product, in general. All are very good. Not sure about the Muhle products, however. As for differences in scent, that is much more subjective and you often just have to break down and buy a tube to find out for yourself. Sometimes you can search the reviews and find someone who compares and contrasts the scents; other times you might have to start a thread dedicated to the question, ie "what is the best smelling sandalwood shaving cream?" If you're really curious about a particular product you might try posting a request for a sample... lots of members are happy to provide a small amount if they happen to have it on hand. :D