Newbie with order on the way..any tips

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
magicman22

Newbie with order on the way..any tips

Post by magicman22 »

Hello all,

Well after many years of different types of shaving I am ready to try wet shaving. In the past I have tried disposables, cartridge, electric etc....

I have used a cheap $5 brush (lasted a couple of weeks before it kept losing bristles) to apply shaving soap using a cartridge razor. I am now ready to give a DE razor a try!

My order is:
17 Different Double Edge Razor Blades - Try Me Pack
Sandalwood Shaving Soap & Travel Jar by Edwin Jagger
Shave Brush Drip Stand - Black
Pure Badger Ebony Diffusion Shaving Brush by Edwin Jagger
HD Hefty Handle Double Edge Razor - Straight Bar by Merkur

The razors are: Merkur - Feather- Lord Super Stainless - Lord Platinum - Lord Super Chrome - Personna - Derby - Shark - Wilkinson - Sharp - 7am - Bluebird - Timor - Racer - Rainbow - Silver Star - Gillette 7 O'Clock

So which blade should I start with? Also does anything need to be done to the shaving brush prior to using it?

Thanks all
Darren
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

welcome and happy year new

sounds like you are starting the new year right

with a nice shaving kit

you will get many different reponces as to which blades to try first
simply because what feels and works well for me might be the worst ever for some body else

to begin de shaving most agree to start with a smooth and mild blade
most on that list are of this type

i suggest you save the merkurs and the feathers for way up the road..

i always suggest to start with derbys,,,basic blade that smooth and forgiving,,then mover thru the rest and i would save the personna till you go thru all the blades ...............then use ther personna then merkur and maybe the feather

i like the personnas i have used smooth and good shaves
merkurs are my favorite but many here do not enjoy him
feathers are the sharpest and there are alot of members that dont like them for many reasons

just go slow,, learn to shave with a proper blade angle ,,,
learn to make good lather and remember good prep is key
let the razor do the work and this is wet shaving,,,use warm to hot water
and use it often

good luck and be patient
you get to practice just about every day
marc
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Darren

Welcome to smf. You have treated yourself to a nice kit. I think any blade will be ok to start with,,,,byt in agreement with Marc; hold off on the feather for a bit

I wouldnt do anything with the brush other than start using it. :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
SRD

Post by SRD »

Very nice kit to start. Please be patient and remember to apply NO Pressure. Focus on techique more than results at first. Practice and patience will get you where you want to be. Best wishes. You'll be a pro in no time.
Dave
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF, Darren.

You have good variety to start with. With you being new to DE shaving, you may want to try to stick with a single setup in order for you to develop proper technique -- it's easier to do so if you stay with the same setup at first.

Marc's suggestions are bang-on. Pay particular heed to preparation, blade angle, razor pressure. And above all be patient keeping sure that hubris doesn't set in -- the minute you think you have this down pat, you'll push things too quickly and pay for it one way or another.

Enjoy the shave, and keep us up to date on how you are doing.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Darren! You should use the sharpest blade (i.e. Feather) last. The trick is to find the sharpness you need to get the smoothest shave. For me, I had to move all the way up to the 7 o'clock (yellow), but many guys do well with Personnas, Lords, or Derbys.
Regards,
Andy
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome Darren!

Different blades go well with different razors. A mild blade goes with an aggressive razor, and a sharp blade goes with a mild razor.

Since you will start with a Merkur HD razor (which is aggressive), I suggest starting with the Derby blade (which is mild).
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
magicman22

Post by magicman22 »

All of the help sounds great! Also lurking around this forum and doing a lot of research has helped. Mantic's videos are great too.

I have been thinking about going to B&BW to get the C.O. Bigelow shave cream to start with then transition to the soap I have ordered. Will the Bigelow help me get a better lather easier, to start learning, or is it a simply better product? Just doing some thinking here :)

Darren
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Darren, welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i agree that some razors like some blades better than others

but i find this to be true with the vintage razors more than the merkurs

generally merkurs do well with all blades

just my thought
marc
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Darren, the CO Bigelow is rebranded Proraso. It's what I started with.

It's not the favorite of many people here, but I think that most will agree that it is perfectly adequate for a beginner.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Darren,

First: WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Come often and stay long.

Second: (Here comes the rhetoric)
Preparation, preparation, preparation
Technique, technique, technique
Slooooooooooow Down
No pressure, let the blade do the work and
"REMEMBER, IT'S NOT A RACE IT'S YOUR FACE."

You can purchase CO Bigelow shave cream at Bath and Body Works. It's usually in the back of the store. They normally have a small men's section that includes the shaving cream.

Have fun and keep us in the loop.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
merkri

Post by merkri »

Welcome--nice starting kit.

It's all about the fun--try whatever suits your fancy.

I sort of agree about leaving the Feathers for last, though.

As for the Bigelow versus EJ question: if you want to try the Bigelow, go for it. I see nothing wrong with starting with the EJ, though. I'm not sure one is more of a "starter" than the other, or that it really makes a difference. Try both (it wasn't clear to me from reading your post whether you just wanted the Bigelow because you didn't want to wait).
brothers

Post by brothers »

Darren, welcome! You've gotta use them all up, so just pick one. Don't be intimidated by your equipment, including the Feather blade. I had been shaving with razors and blades forever, using whatever blades I could buy at the drug or grocery store.

Then I joined SMF and it really came alive, just as it seems to have for you.

But the dumbest thing I ever did was to let myself become intimidated by the Feather blade, not because of the blade, but because of what I'd read about it. :lol: Silly me! So one day with a trembling hand and my heart in my throat, I dared to shave with it. Nice shave!

Just shave slowly and deliberately, NOT as if you were using the cartridge razor, zip zip zip! but just taking your time, as you should every day, and watch what you're doing. Any blade can cut you, if you're not careful.

Have fun, and as they say above, in many different ways, enjoy the shave!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

Proraso/Bigelow is my favorite summertime cream. The menthol is great, but not as nice this time of year. It provides a nice, slick lather.

Google up Mantic, or Mantic59 for tips and videos on youtube, a great resource for beginners or long time shavers.
Jim
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

BTW, it goes without saying, keep following this forum. Answers given here are usually well thought out, with the desire to help, not to promote an opinion. Regardless of product, each of us has a different face. What works for me may not work for you.
Jim
mur

Post by mur »

Is there a thread which describes the characteristics of the blades, ie sharp, mild, etc...?
druphus

Post by druphus »

mur wrote:Is there a thread which describes the characteristics of the blades, ie sharp, mild, etc...?
See for instance:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29705
Regards,
Andy
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

mur wrote:Is there a thread which describes the characteristics of the blades, ie sharp, mild, etc...?
Blades are generally a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) item. Each of our beards are different and a sharp blade for me, may be a mild blade for you. I would not be very hasty in making a judgement on a particular blade until you've mastered the technique. Once you've accomplished that, then go back and give the blades you didn't like another chance to see if they fair any better than the first time you used them. You'll be surprised.

Enjoy your shave.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
mur

Post by mur »

Racso_MS wrote: Blades are generally a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) item. Each of our beards are different and a sharp blade for me, may be a mild blade for you. I would not be very hasty in making a judgement on a particular blade until you've mastered the technique. Once you've accomplished that, then go back and give the blades you didn't like another chance to see if they fair any better than the first time you used them. You'll be surprised.

Enjoy your shave.
Excellent advice, thanks again :D