My first three shaves

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
magicman22

My first three shaves

Post by magicman22 »

Well my new razor (merkur 34c) and supplies came and have been able to shave 3 times with it since.

1st shave: I had about 10 days hair growth on my face and was going to use a trimmer on it to help knock it down before trying the new razor but I didn't. I went straight to the merkur and it worked as hoped! I had spots and areas that I didn't get but I left it and decide one pass would be a good enough lesson for me for now.

2nd shave: Everything went fine but I got one tiny weeper that needed cold water to get it to stop.

3rd shave: Couple more weepers.

Are these weepers just due to my inexperience? I assume as I get better these will hopefully be a rare occurance.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well done. Weepers, niks and cuts are all the mark of a learning wet shaver -- heck, I even get the odd one every now and then when I try to rush things too quickly or don't focus on what I am doing.

So long as you keep things simple - and remember to focus on:
Preparation
Blade angle
Razor pressure
Patience

And beware lest hubris sets in.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

ditto what wendal have said..

sounds you your off to a good start..

also keep in mind your face has to adjust to de shaving as well

ive been de shaving since the 70's, and once in a while a weeper comes up..espcially when i dont want a weeper..

or when using a blade for the first time

good luck and enjoy
marc
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

You are off to a good start. Keep at it and your skill will increase exponentially. Weepers will become fewer and farther between. Even the most skilled among us get the occasional nick. I just take it as a subtle reminder that being careless can result in something worse.
Rich
brothers

Post by brothers »

Your 34c was an excellent choice. As time goes by, every time you experience a nick or cut, you'll subconsciously remember how to avoid doing that again, and you'll find that after a while, they'll be all but nonexistent.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jbc

Post by jbc »

Been doing this for going on ten years and I draw blood now and then its not something to worry about.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
SRD

Post by SRD »

Congratulations. Sounds as if you are doing well. You'll be an old pro in no time.
Dave
paddy

Post by paddy »

what blade are you using?

get a blade sampler pack and try experimenting with different ones. you will find some blades suit you more than others.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Magic! As you know, shaving with a DE typically requires multiple passes. I will normally do three. The Merkur is an aggressive razor and weepers are to be expected until you get your technique down and find a blade that works for you with that razor.
Regards,
Andy
jss

Post by jss »

Hey Magic..Welcome to our den, we're glad to have you here..Wendell said it well enough for all of us..Sounds as though you have an appreciation for patience..Add a small amount of persistence to what you're doing and you're well on your way to mastery....

Best regards,

Juian
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

As you a a newbie to safety razor some nicks are bound to happen. Your goal will be to have the unirritational shave that only one blade (DE) shave can give. You can't force it and only time will learn you.

I never get any nicks and seldom red spots, but I remember when I was first learning, I made these grimaces on facial muscles same time I wielded the blade and you can sure imagine that that will make some nick for sure.

Wellcome to our forum.
Jarmo
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

Practice practice practice. I found my biggest mistake was not spending enough time preparing my lather and then working it on my face for long enough.

I have gone from a Merkur 38c to Muhle R89 and the difference is incredible, I loved my Merkur until the Muhle came along. Turns out me and my face prefer the less aggressive razor.