How to use Alum?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
dawgvet

How to use Alum?

Post by dawgvet »

I am interested in how to use Alum. Thanks to my education largely from the good folks at SMF, my nicks and cuts have greatly diminished but there are still a few sometimes. I've read of people using Alum after they shave to control small cuts and oozing but I don't know what to do with it. Any tips appreciated.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
Barbiere di Figaro
Vendor

Post by Barbiere di Figaro »

Hello Jedidiah,

I think that most common, it is used after you have cleaned your face / showered and then on a still wet face ofcourse. That works for me and I don't see many other possibilities to use it.

Bye,

Eric
www.barbieredifigaro.nl
Subscribe to our newsletter? http://eepurl.com/bUYYb
Want to become friends with us on Facebook? http://tinyurl.com/7zhehql
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jedidiah, I rarely use it, but when I was just learning how to shave with a straight razor I used alum every day, after shaving. It comes in a little bar or cube, and after shaving and rinsing the face, it is applied by holding the bar under a running tap in order to get it wet, then rubbing it all over the beard area in order to seal any minor weepers, cuts, and nicks, and also to generally soothe any irritation.

I've never thought of needing alum on my face after taking a shower, as suggested. I suppose it's possible there are more than one use for it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Barbiere di Figaro
Vendor

Post by Barbiere di Figaro »

Hi Gary,

I meant to say, if you take a shower after you shave, you can apply the alum after you have taken the shower. As your face is still wet, and could feel a little "harsh" because of the shaving, the alum might as well be applied after you have taken a shower, but ofcourse only after a shave.

Bye,

Eric
Last edited by Barbiere di Figaro on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.barbieredifigaro.nl
Subscribe to our newsletter? http://eepurl.com/bUYYb
Want to become friends with us on Facebook? http://tinyurl.com/7zhehql
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good advice. Makes a lot of sense, Eric. Now I understand. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Apply after you have rinsed any outstanding lather from your face and neck, but before you apply any after-shave products. Let it sit for a bit while you ---- clean up the bathroom vanity --- then rinse with as cold a water as you can get. Pat dry and apply whatever you use post-shave.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jww wrote:Apply after you have rinsed any outstanding lather from your face and neck, but before you apply any after-shave products. Let it sit for a bit while you ---- clean up the bathroom vanity --- then rinse with as cold a water as you can get. Pat dry and apply whatever you use post-shave.
+1 - I use it everyday
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
diggity

Post by diggity »

So, I guess my question would be, where do you store the wet alum to allow it to dry? I have a Geo Trumper alum block, but it just seems like more of a hassle than anything else.
Nathan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have a tiny wicker basket which came with my very first alum block from Em's Place -- that is where I dry my bloks. However, now, I also have a Razor Rock -- which conveniently dries standing on is base in my cabinet.

The object here is to have an open container to store the alum in and it will dry in a short while.
Wendell

diggity

Post by diggity »

Got it! Thanks! I might have to try this. As long as it doesn't get "mushy" on me, I am cool with it.
Nathan
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Nathan, I've been using the Razor Rock for a few months and usually cap it before it's had a chance to dry completely. It hasn't yet gone mushy. Of course I wouldn't recommend that, but you guys who have the nominal cabinet, etc., for storage shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The Razor Rock dries in an hour or so at most --- I never cap it unless I am traveling, as water can tend to collect in the base -- although there is a drain hole in the centre of it -- which can sometimes make for a bit of a mess with alum dried onto the counter or shelf where you store it. Even with a wicker basket, there will be some dried alum under it -- easy to clean with a damp towel.
Wendell

RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

rsp1202 wrote:Nathan, I've been using the Razor Rock for a few months and usually cap it before it's had a chance to dry completely. It hasn't yet gone mushy. Of course I wouldn't recommend that, but you guys who have the nominal cabinet, etc., for storage shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Hi Guys,

I recommend either drying your RazoRock with a towel or letting it air dry before you cap it, this way you can extend the life of it. Alum will slowly dissolve in a moist environment.

-joseph
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Joseph, of course. I do dry it the best I can before capping. Nifty product, and I apologize for the misspelling.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I use it, I have a spot in a little soap tray where I put the little cake and it air dries in no time. I would be checking out the Razor Rock, but I bought several alum blocks a couple of years ago, and they're nowhere near being used up yet.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I like the razor rock for it's travel-ability. Otherwise, I have pretty much found alum to be alum regardless of the manufacturer.
Wendell