Open comb vs. "Standard" DE razor question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Glad I found this thread! Very happy with my closed comb EJ DE89L; think I was just dissauded from getting an R41 open comb!
glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

Both of mine are closed comb. An EJ DE89L and a Gillette Tech. I have seen no need to try an open comb.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the forum glazer.

Open combs are nice if you have a 3, 4, or 5 day growth; but, if you are shaving every day (or even every other day) they are unnecessary.
Regards,
Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is YMMV for sure. I like the open combs no matter how long I might go between shaves. I just like the quality of the cut.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
druphus

Post by druphus »

brothers wrote:This is YMMV for sure. I like the open combs no matter how long I might go between shaves. I just like the quality of the cut.
For me personally, I'm with Gary on this as well. I very much like the cut of an open comb.

What I was trying to say is that open combs are the tool of choice for longer stubble. :oops:
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I use either one in the same manner. I'm more interested in the razor's balance and how it cuts.
Regards,
Squire
glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

druphus wrote:Welcome to the forum glazer.

Open combs are nice if you have a 3, 4, or 5 day growth; but, if you are shaving every day (or even every other day) they are unnecessary.
I guess that is why I haven't needed. after 2 or 4 days I still don't have a heavy growth. :oops:
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

While your statement is true about using an OC for a 4-5 day growth I disagree that the OC razors are not necessary if you shave more often. I use an OC regularly and have used them several days in a row. In fact I prefer them to the safety bar DE razors.

You should be aware that a good ol' SuperSpeed or even a Tech does an amazing job of reducing and removing a 4-5 day beard growth. So I would not be so quick to discount an OC DE razor for everyday shaving.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

ThePossum wrote:

While your statement is true about using an OC for a 4-5 day growth I disagree that the OC razors are not necessary if you shave more often. I use an OC regularly and have used them several days in a row. In fact I prefer them to the safety bar DE razors.

You should be aware that a good ol' SuperSpeed or even a Tech does an amazing job of reducing and removing a 4-5 day beard growth. So I would not be so quick to discount an OC DE razor for everyday shaving.
I once had a nice full beard, and when it came time to take it off I used my trusty Schick Krona closed comb mild DE. It was on a nice Sunday morning --- it's been 35 years and I vividly remember how nice that shave was. It's a myth that OC = heavy beard and CC= daily shaves. They're just different.

(Note: my son was 1 year old. Now he's got his own Krona and everything else we normally discuss here, in his own shave cave.) (Another note: my wife still recalls how much she liked that beard.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444