Help with growth directions

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
magicman22

Help with growth directions

Post by magicman22 »

So last night I was feeling my hair growth direction and thought I had it determined which way it was going. It feels like going with the grain is from the center of my face going straight back towards my ears on both sides...especially neck area. So east to west direction. This morning I shave wtg and atg. Upon feeling my results I now have some hair that was not shaved mainly neck area but it feels like it is north to south grain direction. So do I have some crazy different direction hair growth?? How do you handle this?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thats not uncommon ...

same with my beard the direction of the growth pattern changes several times..

and even within the general direction of growth there are some whiskers that do not follow in the direction as the others..

thats why for me, doing a 3 pass shave is key..

i know the basic direction of my beard growth and work with it..
i am able to pretty much shave my beard with the 3 basic passes, i do make adjustments for the change of my beard pattern as i shave..

i know when all is shaved my the sound of my razor..

i think this has something to do with the 'man upstairs' sense of humor
marc
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I tried memorizing my growth pattern, but like most guys, there are changes over my face and it was frustrating. So now I start at my sideburns in front of the ear and go with the grain till I feel a direction change. Then make an adjustment. It took a while but you can feel the whisker direction as you shave, even XTG vs. ATG. With time, you will change razor direction intuitively and also learn the little "trouble spots". With my non-shaving hand I feel exactly those little spots that need touch-ups and the direction to shave (for me a light ATG touch-up and occasional buffing/J-stroking).
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Pretty sure the TSA could use our beard growth patterns as identifiers for travel as everyone's seems to differ someway.

Time and patience, on the tough areas don't be afraid to experiment a little with stroke pattern and even the type of shaving stroke used. Once you get it figured out you can put together a shaving routine that will be most effective.

My only other advice is a few stubbly areas are most time barely noticeable except for yourself - trying hard to get completely smooth leads many shavers into irritation and other issues that we are all trying to avoid.
Good shaving,

Gary
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I have the same issues, right side of my face has some weird stuff going on. A curly Q at the jaw. a complete 180 change in direction on the side of the neck.

In any event, it takes time to get a good feel for how to shave. But after a while...you can shave (even with the quirks) in your sleep.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...