First adjustable razor shave...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Black Belt wrote:You may have found the sweet spot then. Congrats if you have.

I was gonna tell you to put down those Merkur blades and slowly walk away. A few people find them good to shave with...but not many.
I'm one of the few who can use the Merkur blades with success. I believe Clive and Marc are a couple more, but that said, they are not a favorite of many. Experimentation is the key, but technique is more important. Some who haven't perfected the technique of wet shaving blame the blade for the problems they are having when in reality it's the way they shave. I would give each blade in a sampler pack more than one chance before disgarding it all together. I stated earlier that blade preference is a YMMV issue. And I mean that sincerely. What works for me may not work for you. But give each blade a chance. Come back later with the ones that have disappointed you and give them another chance. Then decide the blade/razor combo that works for you. We all have our preferences and our second, third, and fourth (etc.) favorite blades. Some blades work better in different razors which will require more experimentation. Enjoy yourself and "TAKE YOUR TIME", "IT'S NOT A RACE, IT'S YOUR FACE.".

Any more questions, just ask away my friend. WE will be more than happy to assist in any way we can.

v/r
Oscar
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Thanks again guys!
I really like that expression - "It's not a race, it's your face.". Truer words...

I started off using nothing but Merkur blades in my Merkur "Classic". They work well for me, although I must admit after using a few different types of blades in that one, I'm quite fond of the Personnas.

I haven't tried them (the Merkurs) in the Gillette yet, but they're on the list. :)

I'm certainly not going to discount any blade just because it doesn't work immediately - although I'm pretty hesitant to give Feathers a chance. The more I practice and expand my horizons the more I appreciate the differences in these other brands.

Will keep ya posted.
Made with Macintosh!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Racso_MS wrote:
Black Belt wrote:You may have found the sweet spot then. Congrats if you have.

I was gonna tell you to put down those Merkur blades and slowly walk away. A few people find them good to shave with...but not many.
I'm one of the few who can use the Merkur blades with success. I believe Clive and Marc are a couple more, but that said, they are not a favorite of many. Experimentation is the key, but technique is more important. Some who haven't perfected the technique of wet shaving blame the blade for the problems they are having when in reality it's the way they shave. I would give each blade in a sampler pack more than one chance before disgarding it all together. I stated earlier that blade preference is a YMMV issue. And I mean that sincerely. What works for me may not work for you. But give each blade a chance. Come back later with the ones that have disappointed you and give them another chance. Then decide the blade/razor combo that works for you. We all have our preferences and our second, third, and fourth (etc.) favorite blades. Some blades work better in different razors which will require more experimentation. Enjoy yourself and "TAKE YOUR TIME", "IT'S NOT A RACE, IT'S YOUR FACE.".

Any more questions, just ask away my friend. WE will be more than happy to assist in any way we can.

v/r
Oscar
Well put, as always, Oscar
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

hoffo wrote: I'm certainly not going to discount any blade just because it doesn't work immediately - although I'm pretty hesitant to give Feathers a chance. The more I practice and expand my horizons the more I appreciate the differences in these other brands.

Will keep ya posted.
Hi there,

After a while, knowing if a blade's any good only takes a few strokes. When you're very familiar with how the best blades feel on your face, it doesn't take long to figure out if a new one is gonna fit right. More than once I've tossed a strange blade after a couple WTG strokes, and will try one more to make sure I didn't get a 'bad one' the first time. No sense screwing around bothering to match up a blade like that. Heh, the Black Beauty Treet that Michael liked so much was a particularly nasty one.

I should add one important point, and that would be using some sorta go to razor during the new blade test. You can have the best blade in the world and still get a less than wonderful shave if the razor fits badly. Some members might dispute that, but I'm telling you the right razor is extremely important when testing blades.

Ok then, good luck on finding the perfect combo,

Martin

Oh, the Feather blade is something to mention I guess. These are no problem if your technique is good, but these can bring out any flaws pretty easily. They are unforgiving, which means you will need to pay attention to detail. That's it! Just shave like you normally would and don't screw up. Feather blades can be a riot when they're tamed a bit by a good driver equipped with the right razor.

To me, they're too sharp in most razors, but in a few they become perfect. They need to be sampled in various razors to see if they're for you or not.
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

L. Martino wrote: After a while, knowing if a blade's any good only takes a few strokes. When you're very familiar with how the best blades feel on your face, it doesn't take long to figure out if a new one is gonna fit right. More than once I've tossed a strange blade after a couple WTG strokes, and will try one more to make sure I didn't get a 'bad one' the first time. No sense screwing around bothering to match up a blade like that. Heh, the Black Beauty Treet that Michael liked so much was a particularly nasty one.

I should add one important point, and that would be using some sorta go to razor during the new blade test. You can have the best blade in the world and still get a less than wonderful shave if the razor fits badly. Some members might dispute that, but I'm telling you the right razor is extremely important when testing blades.

Ok then, good luck on finding the perfect combo,

Martin

Oh, the Feather blade is something to mention I guess. These are no problem if your technique is good, but these can bring out any flaws pretty easily. They are unforgiving, which means you will need to pay attention to detail. That's it! Just shave like you normally would and don't screw up. Feather blades can be a riot when they're tamed a bit by a good driver equipped with the right razor.

To me, they're too sharp in most razors, but in a few they become perfect. They need to be sampled in various razors to see if they're for you or not.
Hi Martin,
Good advice - I think I experienced that with my Merkur "Standard" - that's the one with which I learned the basics of DE shaving. I've used it for a few years and am just now venturing out into the realm of adjustables... Any blade I get a not-so-good shave with in my Gillette I'll try later in that to see how they work in that. Hopefully my Leresche is in by then so I can try it in that as well. I consider that one (the Merkur) to be my "go-to" razor.
I may try the Feathers in that one one of these days - I've never tried the Treets. What other blades do you recommend I try out? I hear good things about the Crystals and a lot of folks seem to like the Feathers. I have already tried out the Derby Extras, 7 O'Clock Yellows, Personnas, Merkur, and ASRs. I understand that these Super Iridiums are all but impossible to get now.

Thanks again!

Scott
Made with Macintosh!