First adjustable razor shave...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
hoffo

First adjustable razor shave...

Post by hoffo »

So I just got my 1966 Gillette adjustable cleaned up last night and threw in an NOS Super Blue Blade for this morning... and instead of seeking the wise counsel here, I just was too excited to shave with it... and as you can imagine it wasn't very comfortable. I sure got a close shave though...

I've been wetshaving with a non-adjustable Merkur "Standard" for quite some time now and thought I had my technique down. I discovered this morning that it's a little different for the Gillette.

Pardon my ignorance, but are the higher numbers more aggressive? I set it to 7 and left it there... I'll definitely try out some different blades to see how that works as well.

Thanks for your help and time,
Scott
Made with Macintosh!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Hey, hoffo.

I use an adjustable Merkur Futur. I would certainly say 7 is quite aggressive. Perhaps a setting one would use if desiring a blood transfusion.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
druphus

Post by druphus »

On a futur, 7 is an outrageously aggressive setting (I use 3); however on my long handled Gillette Slim Adjustable I use a 6, so I think higher settings on the vintage Gillettes are fine. You might want to back it off to 6 however.
Regards,
Andy
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Set it to a lower number, say around 3, and see how it feels on your face. If necessary increase the number setting in small increments until you find the setting that works well for you.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

As I recall...I have my Futur set on 3.5. Perfect for me.
druphus wrote:On a futur, 7 is an outrageously aggressive setting (I use 3); however on my long handled Gillette Slim Adjustable I use a 6, so I think higher settings on the vintage Gillettes are fine. You might want to back it off to 6 however.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

Wow, 7 is a pretty stout setting! I have a mid/late 60's Gillette adjustable and I usually go with a setting of 4 or 5 with most blades. I'd try setting your razor to 3 or 4 and shaving, see how you like the results, and adjust from there. I frequently go with a 5 for with the grain passes and 4 for against, or across, the grain passes; but by all means find what works for you.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have no idea where you guys buy you futurs from

i have owned 3 futur razors, and each of them only have 6 numbered settings..

and i do agree setting three is just about perfect..

about the settting on a fatboy, i have no clue

marc
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

You are correct. I guess the Gillette settings are somewhat different.
marsos52 wrote:i have no idea where you guys buy you futurs from

i have owned 3 futur razors, and each of them only have 6 numbered settings..

and i do agree setting three is just about perfect..

about the settting on a fatboy, i have no clue

marc
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
druphus

Post by druphus »

It "infinite" Marc. You set it on 6 and dream of any number you want. :)
Regards,
Andy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

With adjustables, the lowest number (gentlest setting) that will give you a good shave is the best.

- Murray
function

Post by function »

There are a lot of things in play here. First is the geometry of the razor itsself which is different from the razor you previously used. The Gillette TTO has a higher profile than a lot of razors, so you are looking at a different shave to begin with. Add the setting you have and you are alomst starting over.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Scott, on the Slim (and the other adjustable Gillettes) 1 is the least aggressive setting, and 9 is the most aggressive. The simplest answer is the best, start on 1, shave as much as you want, then move it up gradually until you perceive that you like the way it shaves, then leave it there. My Super Adjustable Long handle is on 5, and I couldn't imagine getting a better shave, and that doesn't change depending on which kind of blade I'm using. What works for me is not guaranteed to be the best for the next guy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
merkri

Post by merkri »

I have a 1963 Gillette Slim Adjustable and usually use it at a 4 setting, although sometimes 3, depending on my mood, blade, soap, etc.
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Black Belt wrote:Hey, hoffo.

I use an adjustable Merkur Futur. I would certainly say 7 is quite aggressive. Perhaps a setting one would use if desiring a blood transfusion.
Hahaha I gotcha - I set it for a 3 and got a decent enough shave - will move up to a 4 or 5 Monday and report results.
Made with Macintosh!
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Thanks for your help, guys!
I set it to 3 this morning and got a pretty decent shave - will try moving up to a 4 or 5 Monday. It certainly does feel like I'm starting all over again.

Hey practice makes perfect! 8)

I really do appreciate you guys' help! Thanks again!
Made with Macintosh!
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

hoffo wrote:Thanks for your help, guys!
I set it to 3 this morning and got a pretty decent shave - will try moving up to a 4 or 5 Monday. It certainly does feel like I'm starting all over again.

Hey practice makes perfect! 8)

I really do appreciate you guys' help! Thanks again!
Hoffo,

First: WLECOME TO THE FORUM.

Second: Leave it on three (3) for a while. 'LEARN THE TECHNIQUE FIRST". Then adjust the razor's aggressiveness. It could also be the razor/blade combo. It may take some razor sampler packs to obtain a good combo.

My two cents worth.

v/r
Oscar.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hoffo. If it was OK on 3, what would be the point, or the urgency, to set it on something different? Oscar has a great point. I'd do as he suggests.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

I'll leave it on a 3 for now - good point about getting different blades thrown in there to see the differences.

I have a pretty good assortment going - besides the Merkur blades, I have some ASRs (CVS branded), Personnas, Derbys, German Wilks, 7 O'Clock Sharps, some vintage Gillette Blue Blades, and an old Personna of I don't know what vintage. I'll give the 7 O'Clocks a shot next and work my way over to the Derbys and ASRs and keep checking back in.

I'll keep working on my technique while I get my SR honing down pat and keep you up-to-date.

Thanks again for your time and help guys!
Made with Macintosh!
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Well, this morning's shave was nice and close - very smooth and no nicks or weepers. I kept it at a 3, using a 7 O'Clock SharpEdge and lathering up with The Fat - mmmm lanolin!

I think I have the right angles down - just need to keep at it!

Thanks again!
Made with Macintosh!
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

You may have found the sweet spot then. Congrats if you have.

I was gonna tell you to put down those Merkur blades and slowly walk away. A few people find them good to shave with...but not many.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...