tallow vs. sodium tallowate

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
gil3591

tallow vs. sodium tallowate

Post by gil3591 »

what's the difference between these two? cella ingredients say tallow, period. other soaps i have say sodium tallowate.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Gil -

When sodium hydroxide (the lye/saponifier) is combined with tallow, the chemical interaction produces sodium tallowate = soap.

Some manufacturers list the separate lye and fat, while others list the fruit of their combination.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hmmm ---

Murray, that's very interesting.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It gets worse!

Liquid soaps use a different lye/saponifier, potassium hydroxide, which would combine with tallow to form potassium tallowate.

Soft soaps usually have a combination of sodium tallowate and potassium tallowate (or sodium palmate/potassium palmate, etc).

- Murray
Crag

Post by Crag »

Most companies that export health and beauty product to the USA use the chemical comound names to describe what makes up their product. They get less hassle from the FDA if it is labeled as such. While Cella uses Tallow as the descriptor it is generally understood that Tallow describes the compound form of either Sodium Tallowate or Potassium Tallowate.

Along those lines if you see Adeps Lanae in your product's ingredients, rest assured that it is only Lanolin. One disturbing point for some, though, is that the Lanolin has most likely been produced as a by product from the tanning of skins to make leather.

I'm not disturbed because when a truck rolls by me crammed full of cows all I can think of is lunch! :lol:

No flamers, please!
Matt

"The 'Path of least resistance' is what makes rivers and Men crooked."
--Ezra Taft Benson
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

matt, i'm no expert but you may be confusing lanolin for tallow
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Lindy
Vendor

Post by Lindy »

Canadian and European manufacturers of soap are required to use INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients)s o depending on whether the product has been made using NOaH or KOH will determine how it is written out. So both Sodium Tallowate & Potassium Tallowate are tallow. Lanolin for some strange reason remains lanolin, probably because it is a wax which doesn't saponify.

HTH