Slightly Sharper than Derby

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Sensitive_Skin

Slightly Sharper than Derby

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Hey there! I've got very sensitive skin but I'm also incredibly hairy and with a very coarse beard. I've come up with the combo of a 1940's Gillette Fat Handled Tech with Derby blades but still find that the Derby's have a bit of "tug" to them when shaving my beard. What's 1 or 2 steps up in sharpness than Derby?

Thanks!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

gillette 7 o"clock sharp edge. or maybe treet durasharps
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

before you start a search of trying every other blade known to man..

sometimes i have found that just a slight change of the blade angle can make a world of difference to how a blade feels

here is why,, each brand of blade is honed slightly different from other brands and even models, so its possible the razor angle that you generally use is great for one blade but not for another..

so just the smallest amount of angle change with your razor can make a world of difference..always try to use the least amount of blade angle possible

worth a shot no..........
marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Re: Slightly Sharper than Derby

Post by Racso_MS »

Sensitive_Skin wrote:Hey there! I've got very sensitive skin but I'm also incredibly hairy and with a very coarse beard. I've come up with the combo of a 1940's Gillette Fat Handled Tech with Derby blades but still find that the Derby's have a bit of "tug" to them when shaving my beard. What's 1 or 2 steps up in sharpness than Derby?

Thanks!
Blades are such a preferential YMMV item it's hard to say what will work. There is Astra, Lord, Israeli No Names or the Red Personnas from Israel, Sharks, 7'oclock, Merkur etc. So many from which to choose. I recommend obtaining a sample pack of blades from one of the online vendors and give a few of them a try.

I'm speaking from experience, as will others, that what works great for me may suck for you. And as you indicated my skin and beard is different which makes recommending a blade difficult. Good Luck though.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Them Derbs are just fine for me. If you go sharper your skin might not like as much. Russkie Gillette blades are sharper I think but not overly so like Feather.
Jarmo
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

If you feel strong enough about your technique (shaving stroke, angles and lather making) I see the need for a sample pack of blades in your future.

What may work for one of us, might be unusable from your point of view.

Only by sampling and trying different blades will you be able to determine what works best for you but you must be comfortable that your technique can support the experiment.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ditto what Gary wrote above.
Regards,
Gordon
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I'm with Gary and Gordon. And everyone else! :shock:

Once you're sure of your technique (blade angle, e.g.) the next step is the quest for suitable blades.

Get a nice sampler of blades, I recommend as international in scope as possible. Blades from Africa, Asia, North America, and Europe have their advocates. Get to know 'em. You'll find something you like! :D
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS