Red Faced

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mikert65

Red Faced

Post by mikert65 »

Folks,

Several problems. Been in and out of this forum for ages, but never really committand. Last weekend things changed.

My daughter has cystic fibrosis, so during a pack of bags for a stay in hospital, the boyfriend of an older daughter mentions upon the sight of my toilet bag that I have more face care gear than any woman he knows. He's 22.

Mortified, wounded, I check my toilet bag.
Clinique shave foam
Clinique scrub,body scrub, M lotion, shave soother, body scrub
Nivea balm. Nivea Moisturiser.
Sure deo
Tesco moisturiser
Boots Shave Gel
Taylors Colonge.
Nivea eye cream
Cotton buds
derby blades
futur razor.

So looking at it now I know its bad. Heard the phrase less is more by a few of the big guns on here - but really? - is a life of imperial leather for a face wash and cheap cream to moisturise all I need. Can anyone here honestly say that they dont tinker with the things above?

In all I feel upset, almost embarassed by my toilet bag. So - is a round of imperial leather, cheap face cream and good blades a viable alternative?
Can anyone prove?
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

First:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Come often, stay long, and enjoy.

Second: Sorry to hear about your daughter. :(

Third: What problem. :roll:

We are all A Bunch Of Eccentric Preferential Wet Shaving Enthusiasts. I don't see a problem with your kit. Not one.

It is what it is. :wink:
Last edited by Racso_MS on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
SRD

Re: Red Faced

Post by SRD »

mikert65 wrote:Folks,

Several problems. Been in and out of this forum for ages, but never really committand. Last weekend things changed.

My daughter has cystic fibrosis, so during a pack of bags for a stay in hospital, the boyfriend of an older daughter mentions upon the sight of my toilet bag that I have more face care gear than any woman he knows. He's 22.

Mortified, wounded, I check my toilet bag.
Clinique shave foam
Clinique scrub,body scrub, M lotion, shave soother, body scrub
Nivea balm. Nivea Moisturiser.
Sure deo
Tesco moisturiser
Boots Shave Gel
Taylors Colonge.
Nivea eye cream
Cotton buds
derby blades
futur razor.

So looking at it now I know its bad. Heard the phrase less is more by a few of the big guns on here - but really? - is a life of imperial leather for a face wash and cheap cream to moisturise all I need. Can anyone here honestly say that they dont tinker with the things above?In all I feel upset, almost embarassed by my toilet bag. So - is a round of imperial leather, cheap face cream and good blades a viable alternative?
Can anyone prove?

Yep! I need good bath soap, a razor and blade, shaving soap and brush, deodorant, and an A/S. I am a simple guy. BTW welcome to the forum. Enjoy yourself here.
Dave
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oh come on! Is that all? Must be your small toilet bag, surely.

To be somewhat serious, I wouldn't dream, if I were you, of letting a daughter's boyfriend tell me such a thing. The proper response is to indicate shock that he is so ill-equipped, and suggest subtly that such a lack might unfit him for his relationship with your valuable DNA. The Futur, Derby blades and Taylor's cologne are unimpeachable. If you like the other stuff, carry on. It so happens I have just packed a suitcase for a weekend away, and have gone through my toilet bag. Tabac soap stick, Friodur 8/8 razor, Thiers-Issard travel paddle strop, Castle Forbes Pre-Shave decanted into an eye-drop bottle (for use after shaving), some Skinfood, a Shavemac travel brush, Trumper Sandalwood cologne, L'Artisan Parfumeur Verte de Violettes cologne, a pair of Kent military brushes and so on. I travel light, as you can see! :wink:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

You do not have a problem, my friend.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

all that gear and no brush??

gotta have a brush and a mug

i travel with a brush and small bowl

shaving soap

razor and blades

aftershave

welcome to smf too
marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF

+1 to Chris' comments. The response I have made when my daughter's boyfriends (few and far between so far, thank goodness) have had the nerve to come up with comments not meant to be derogatory, but come out before they think, is to look them straight in the eye, raise my left eyebrow, and ask in a very long, and drawn out way --- Oh, really?

That usually gets a quick "Sorry sir, I didn't mean to offend" I then usually retort back that I wasn't necessarily offended, just taken aback that a youngster would have the moxie to try to call out experience and wisdom in life to somehow be a negative thing. None have survived this test yet. :twisted:

I look forward to the young man who looks at my shave gear and says "Wow -- you actually use this stuff? Cool!!" The lucky man will have my daughter's hand in marriage -- whether she likes it or not. :lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Love that approach!!!
jww wrote:Welcome to SMF

+1 to Chris' comments. The response I have made when my daughter's boyfriends (few and far between so far, thank goodness) have had the nerve to come up with comments not meant to be derogatory, but come out before they think, is to look them straight in the eye, raise my left eyebrow, and ask in a very long, and drawn out way --- Oh, really?

That usually gets a quick "Sorry sir, I didn't mean to offend" I then usually retort back that I wasn't necessarily offended, just taken aback that a youngster would have the moxie to try to call out experience and wisdom in life to somehow be a negative thing. None have survived this test yet. :twisted:

I look forward to the young man who looks at my shave gear and says "Wow -- you actually use this stuff? Cool!!" The lucky man will have my daughter's hand in marriage -- whether she likes it or not. :lol:
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, Yes, 'less IS often more' and I learned this by messing around with some of the kind of stuff you have on your list plus a whole lot more. Quite a number of gents have come on to these forums moaning about their 'sensitive skin' and other skin issues only to find out in the end that they were causing most of them with the choice, and amount, of products that they were using. Remember that the cosmetics corporations have a heavy vested interest in convincing gents that they 'need' all kinds of stuff to be 'well groomed' and 'with it'. You don't. In fact, in most cases you're better off without a lot of it. No one here is talking about 'cheap'...as in poor quality...anything. We are talking about keeping it simple...simple, high quality, and to the point. I use a high quality bath soap ( preferably tallow based ) shampoo x2 wkly., talc, old school English shave cream and brush, aftershave product, deodorant ( not anti-perspirant ) and cologne. With this, I have no need/use for 'body moisturizers', 'facial moisturizers', astringents, toners, or anything else. Not only did those things add nothing, they usually created problems. Everyone is a little different to be sure, but, 'keeping it simple' has a lot to recommend it, I assure you.
Regards,
Gordon
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Just unpacked at the Royal York in Toronto. The smaller Bosca bag, the leather brush case and the leather case with paddle strop are mine. The big Bosca belongs to the big boss.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Lindy
Vendor

Post by Lindy »

Okay - like that one! I have a new rule - any man that I get romantically involved with have to use at the very least a DE, otherwise he's not man enough for my lifestyle.... :roll:
95%

Post by 95% »

Linda:

As the only out-of-the-closet exclusive cartridge shaver in the forum, I'm compelled to say THAT'S UNFAIR.
Porter
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Lindy wrote:

Okay - like that one! I have a new rule - any man that I get romantically involved with have to use at the very least a DE, otherwise he's not man enough for my lifestyle.... :roll:
I have 100+/- DE and SE razors... But I'm a very happily married man. Oh well good luck... :wink:
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

"Never apologise;never explain."- British Foriegn office
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I don't think one should ever feel ashamed of being well-groomed.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd suggest that perhaps the young man in question has no brains, and should be both horsewhipped and replaced as soon as possible. When I was busy falling in love with his beautiful young daughter, I'd like to think I would have NEVER made a point of noticing my future father-in-law's personal toilet articles, and heaven forbid, commenting on such a personal thing. What kind of an _____ is he? (fill in the blank).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm going to remind mikert65 of an old post of his:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=430342