Sensitive Skin, Proraso "Upgrade"

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Sensitive_Skin

Sensitive Skin, Proraso "Upgrade"

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

I have pretty darn sensitive skin and a super thick beard...bad combo. I've been pretty happy using Proraso Green Tea/Aloe Shaving "Soap" and the Anti-Irritation Pre-Shave cream but now that I'm addicted to this wet-shaving phenomenon it's got me wondering about better made products. There isn't anything that I don't like about Proraso but it seems a bit utilitarian...I sure do like the price...Incredible value, but maybe there's some better stuff out there for men with sensitive skin?

I decided to order a sample pack from G.F Trumper and I was pretty dissapointed with the scents provided. They mostly included cologns in the pack, and some of them smelled great (loved the Curzon and Sandalwood)...Only problem was that the Sandalwood cream they sent smelled quite gross (in my taste it was much more powerful and rustic in scent than the cologne)...Perhaps the Sandalwood Soap is better?

It seems like G.F. Trumper's products are pretty expensive. Is it a "better" shave than Proraso? It's so much more expensive so I'm wondering what do you pay for?

Taylor of Old Bond has the "Jerym Street" collection which is supposed to also be for sensitive skin...Maybe that's a good line?

Thanks a ton.
druphus

Post by druphus »

There is nothing wrong with Proraso; however, the English Creams and Soaps are very nice. Also, Proraso is a soft soap, which does not last nearly as long as a hard soap.

If you decide to try something, The English Shaving Company has free shipping through April 4, 2011. The free shipping plus not having to pay the VAT when shipped to Canada = a nice savings. Check it out:

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/
Regards,
Andy
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i think the three T"s and harris are all really close in performance. for the cost factor i like tobs the best and T&H second. (gives a little nice lather and closer shave) this leaves trumpers the odd man out in my book. you'll find that the english creams give a little bit more cushion athan proraso. and better smells to boot!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

For the money, you can't beat Taylor's (and yes, it is better than Proraso). I don't buy the whole sensitive skin schtick, although some scents have a slight of a track record for irritating folks skin. The Avocado has a great rep for not being a trouble maker.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Thick beard and sensitive skin, quite the usual problem for many that have sought relief through better shaving.

Since Proraso is working for you at least you have found a "go to" that you can rely upon.

Exploring some other products will involve a bit of trial and error but will be part of the fun of expanding your collection. You may want to look at some of the great "unscented" or for "sensitive skin" products such as:

Art of Shaving - Unscented
T&H - Ultimate Comfort
Valobra - shave soap stick, quite mild and a great shaving soap
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

There's really no way to find out other than trying different products. Today I don't use anything but the top shelf English creams and hard soaps, but I've tried a good deal of other products to come to that resting place. One thing I've never tried is the green Proraso ( I have tried their 'Red' ) because I already know from purusing the ingrediants list that it would irritate my skin. While I don't really want to encourage any ADs, fact is there are a lot of different products out there and some experimentation is usually necessary in order to find one's personal 'best'.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my case, I'm on day 10 of a 2 week rotation with COBigelow, aka Proraso. I like menthol, so it's safe to say I'm having some really enjoyable shaves with it. I've been trying to follow up with a menthol splash, and when that face-freeze hits, I'm loving every minute of it. I happened to pick up a handful of tubes of it at Bath & Body Works' sale last summer, so I'm going to be OK in this department for quite some time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

If you are not allergic to lanolin, then I have two words for you ---- Mitchell's Woolfat. Some balk at its properties, but for sensitive skin that isn't reactive to the lanolin content, this stuff is my one go-to soap. It takes a bit of learning to work with it, but it is worth the initial effort.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I am sold on TOBS. I like several scents. Their Sandalwood is perfect if you like woodsy scents.

All of the TOBS creams and soaps are cost effective selections.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If Proraso works for you, there are a ton of other, possibly better in the minds of some, products that will also work. Try any of the three T's in cream form and you will have a lather that is better than Proraso. You evidently have the technique, so go have the fun!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sensitive_Skin

Post by Sensitive_Skin »

Bit the bullet and decided to purchase the Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Uncented Tub (40 bucks) AND the TINY Pre-Shave Oil 35 bucks...Had my first shave with it and WOW!!!! This stuff is unbelievable. No irritation at all. I'd get a bit of stinging from the Proraso during my final pass but this stuff is just amazing..So much cushion and my skin feels incredible. I'm very pleased but my wallet isn't. :(
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, the pot will probably last you awhile so try not to fret ( chuckle ). Their UC cream is more a 'new style' shave cream....has a bit more cushion and less lather then the traditional English creams. For me, that's a detriment, but clearly for you it is more what you were looking for. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon