Not quite there in my technique

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mattyb240

Not quite there in my technique

Post by mattyb240 »

So,

I have really been enjoying my wet shaving and my girlfriend is getting worried by just how many TOBS creams I am buying!

Its been a few months in, I generally shower while my badger brush is soaking and then work up my lather. I do a three pass shave, WTG, an attempt at XTG ( I find the angle difficult in the pocket of my neck) and ATG.

I really seem to struggle to get a close shave under my chin and above my adams apple. It gets soar and irritated quickly. I try to apply a thick lather before going ATG and let it rest for 10-20 seconds. But no matter how slow, fast, wet, dry, small large shaves it always comes out irritated and not as close as the rest of my skin.

Does anyone have any advice or tips please?

Many thanks,

Matt
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Have you tried stretching the skin either by "jutting" your chin up or pulling down "lightly" at the base of yoour throat?
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Not quite there in my technique

Post by notthesharpest »

mattyb240 wrote:So,

I have really been enjoying my wet shaving and my girlfriend is getting worried by just how many TOBS creams I am buying!

Its been a few months in, I generally shower while my badger brush is soaking and then work up my lather. I do a three pass shave, WTG, an attempt at XTG ( I find the angle difficult in the pocket of my neck) and ATG.

I really seem to struggle to get a close shave under my chin and above my adams apple. It gets soar and irritated quickly. I try to apply a thick lather before going ATG and let it rest for 10-20 seconds. But no matter how slow, fast, wet, dry, small large shaves it always comes out irritated and not as close as the rest of my skin.

Does anyone have any advice or tips please?

Many thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt

Angle of the razor: the blade should contact your skin at the shallowest possible angle. Disregard ALL instructions, reputable or not, about trying to find a certain angle like 30 degrees or whatever; "As shallow as possible" is your goal, so that the flat of the blade is skimming over your skin.

Pressure: Find out the absolute minimum pressure required to get a good shave, and then use less than that. :)

Brush: Soaking a badger brush is pointless. Leave the brush dry until you get out of the shower, then wet it and use it.

Hope this helps...
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Matt

the other thing that you could do is forget the BBS gillette super BS and leave your apples and chin the way they are, believe it or not, but you really arent supposed to be that closely shaved to begin with

have a beer, kiss whoever you can and forgetahaboutit

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

fallingwickets wrote:Matt

the other thing that you could do is forget the BBS gillette super BS and leave your apples and chin the way they are, believe it or not, but you really arent supposed to be that closely shaved to begin with

have a beer, kiss whoever you can and forgetahaboutit

clive
Thanks gents, and that made me smile Clive! I suppose it just isn't meant to be. I have tried a little gentle stretching and all kinds of head tilts. As for pressure, I don't apply any really, I let the razor do the work, but perhaps the angle isn't quite there.

I'll be giving it another shot tonight so we shall see how I get on.

Thanks guys.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Matty, Hang in there. Like anything else it takes practice to develope that 'feel' for the process. It takes some longer than others and that's okay.....shoot, just ask Sam ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

Gave it another go tonight, some nights I seem to have a better "feel" than others. Generally speaking I'm becoming quite consistent its mainly under the chin that I struggle with.

I took more time focusing hard on my technique under my chin on each pass and have a result that I am satisfied will develop with time.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Because of the chin's shape and the hardness of the whiskers often found there, it's a tough spot for just about everyone. Experiment to see what works for you.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

notthesharpest wrote:Because of the chin's shape and the hardness of the whiskers often found there, it's a tough spot for just about everyone. Experiment to see what works for you.

Yeah...what he said.

I have been doing this for some time, and that is the toughest area for me too. Never completely satisfied. I have had to learn that perfect BBS is not actually the outcome it is cracked up to be. BBS can be costly in terms of irritation and pain.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Matty - just stay at it watching your angles and just letting the razor and blade skim over the surface. The chin takes a little time to master, as you advance your technique you will find easier ways to clear the stubble.

All the best!
Good shaving,

Gary
mattyb240

Post by mattyb240 »

JayTrek wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:Because of the chin's shape and the hardness of the whiskers often found there, it's a tough spot for just about everyone. Experiment to see what works for you.

Yeah...what he said.

I have been doing this for some time, and that is the toughest area for me too. Never completely satisfied. I have had to learn that perfect BBS is not actually the outcome it is cracked up to be. BBS can be costly in terms of irritation and pain.
Just an update, it seems I'm having to come to this conclusion also. I have found applying a slightly thicker lather around that are before shaving seems to help reduce irritation.