Help me improve

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brescd01

Help me improve

Post by brescd01 »

Okay, I bathe with Pre de Provence soap

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YU8R2

shampoo with Suave Rosemary Mint

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003721UAW

lather with Fraser's

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DZMYPO

apply lather with a Plisson

and shave with a Merkur open-comb and either Gillette Yellow or Personna Red razors.

After toweling off, I apply Proraso aftershave balm

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/pror...have-balm.html

and if necessary, styptic gel

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/proraso-stypic-gel.html

Cologne is Loewe (I am finishing Para Hombre but love Solo), Caron's Yatagan or Guerlain's Habit Rouge.

I posted this list on Badger and Blade and I had less than an enthusiastic response, I think people thought I was seeking back-slapping. But honestly, I am just looking for things that people think might be superior that I haven't thought of.

By the way, let me make a plug for the Koehler hand-held shower head depicted here:

http://www.us.kohler.com/performancesho ... ateway.jsp

Trust me, wonderful.
Crhis

Post by Crhis »

Which areas do you want to improve in, do you feel you're having trouble with any part? Are your shaves not close enough? Close but too irritating? Fine? And if they're fine, why change what works?

If we can work out what problems you're having then we might be able to narrow it down and say 'well work on technique x' or 'change product y' but if you're just looking for suggestions for new products then you should really just start searching through the Creams/Soaps sections and read up on products that interest you or else search through the SOTD posts and see what's popular. That's half the fun!
Christopher
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Back before nicotine became verboten for me, I recall folks asking what was the "best" cigar was and the overwhelming response was "the one you're smoking". Your personal den does not have to read as a "Who's Who" of shaving products to produce a great shave. Mere "pedestrian" gear does wonders, technique and acquired talent trump the tools any day.
Approval from the hive mind is not required and you need not be assimilated.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i would change out the fraser's. best soap bang for the buck is arko shave stick grated into a bowl. or maybe tabac? or cella? try something with tallow. for a new cream try queen charlotte. great ingredients and scent. it's starting to grow on me :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
SRD

Post by SRD »

If you are happy then you are happy and I wouldn't want to make you unhappy by suggesting that I think there are better products. There's an old saying down here in the South that "You can tell how sucessful a man is by what he can afford to leave alone."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Dave
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It sounds like you have a good lineup of tools and products. From there, as already mentioned, it would be down to technique and individual needs and preferences.

I, personally, haven't met an open-comb razor that I like, I prefer Treet Dura Sharp and Super Platinum blades, I use only soaps (with natural scents or minimal fragrance), and my favorite brushes are made by Semogue (no bulb-shaped brushes for me!). These, however, are my personal preferences, which have developed along with my shaving technique, and may well not work for you.

Where you go from here would depend on what specific improvement you seek.

If your interest is simply to try new things, your possibilities are wide open. Since you're already using a shaving cream, I would expect that many would recommend you try one of the traditional English creams. Of these, those by Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) are often considered the best value.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Personally, I'd change everything ( except maybe the brush..chuckle )....but as Christopher and Dave pointed out, there is no reason why you should unless some area/product seems unsatisfactory, or you just have a hankering to experiment.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There is nothing wrong with any of your choices unless you find one of them is (materially & in an obvious way) not performing to your standards. If your standards (for performance, enjoyment, and price) are being met every time, then you have already reached the pinnacle of shaving, and you should indeed get a slap on the back, along with some suggestions for a new quixotic pursuit to console you in your premature success. :)

Sounds flip perhaps, but I'm serious. Good is good. A perfect shave is still just a shave, unless it's made into a special occasion somehow.

If variety is really what you're after, (nice but certainly not necessary), then the least difficult (and potentially not very expensive) move is to try a different razor instead of the Merkur open comb. Vintage Gillette? Merkur Futur? There's a big potential list there...
brescd01

Post by brescd01 »

I appreciate the specific suggestions, not so much the philosophical ones. I am looking to experiment, I guess my shave could always be closer.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Well, there is definitely such a thing as a too-close shave, and it happens sometimes when you're experimenting. But if you wish it was closer, and you're willing to try things, then by all means go ahead.

For a specific and concrete variety suggestion, for somebody who wants a closer shave, I suggest the Merkur Futur razor. It looks like a beast, but it's very well built and durable, and gives a great & reliable shave for those who like it. (Those who don't like it find it harsh.) You can find them up for private sale on a fairly regular basis from those who tried one and didn't like it; or you can buy new, knowing that there's always some interest in these if you find it not to your liking and want to get rid of it. If you buy one, do give yourself a good & proper chance to get used to it before rejecting it.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Folk wisdom in the USA has it best: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

That said, experimentation is THE thrill of our madness. Shark SC? AsSPlat? Kai? Badger, hog, or horse? (I >heart< my Vie-Long horsie!) Soap? Cream?

Seek and ye will keep seeking! :lol:
Last edited by Odio Barbillas on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
brothers

Post by brothers »

gil3591 wrote:i would change out the fraser's. best soap bang for the buck is arko shave stick grated into a bowl. or maybe tabac? or cella? try something with tallow. for a new cream try queen charlotte. great ingredients and scent. it's starting to grow on me :lol:
I strongly disagree :lol: with my friend Gil in this regard. What's wrong with Fraser's! The others are good too, but Fraser's is in my humble opinion and based on my particular experiences, an excellent product in any of the 4 or 5 varieties in which it is offered. If you enjoy a product, you're doing something right!

But, by all means, give the others a try, they are favorites of many, and with good reason.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

gary, for me, the fraser's lacked cushion
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

I find Arko less than top shelf in terms of performance, particularly regarding the fact that the lather seems to disappear quickly, and it just lacks that certain richness that we find in others. But hey, it's all good, (relatively speaking) it's just that some are more compatible with our individual idiosyncrasies than others. Long live variety. I have 4 sticks of Arko and will be using it for two weeks straight when it comes up in the rotation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Products are highly personal choices, but as you asked. . .

I used to use the Proraso balm, but went from that to the Lucky Tiger before finally settling on the Trumper's Skin Food. I found the Proraso adequate but easily improved upon, the Trumper's is more easily absorbed by my face but feels more luxurious.

Open comb razors are interesting - my experience is that they look more aggressive but are actually milder, or safer even, than their safety bar counterparts. I love my Merkur Progress, and think every home should have one.

It really depends, though, where you feel improvements can be made.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
jbc

Post by jbc »

Here is a link for you and all, nextag.com. This is a web search engine that can be used to compare prices on well, anything. I used in many years ago to get the best price on the Dorcos that I am using now. What every you are working with the best thing to do is to get the lowest possible price on what ever you need.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving