The Brace Cut - Part 1

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

CMur12 wrote:Actually, I think he demonstrated that something as simple as the cloth works very well. My skin wouldn't tolerate that kind of razor work, however, regardless of the lather.

The Method Shave isn't my chosen approach, but I don't resent that it works for Charles Roberts and a number of others.

- Murray
would probably work better if he had a blade in the razor :roll:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

CMur12 wrote:Actually, I think he demonstrated that something as simple as the cloth works very well. My skin wouldn't tolerate that kind of razor work, however, regardless of the lather.

The Method Shave isn't my chosen approach, but I don't resent that it works for Charles Roberts and a number of others.

- Murray
Nobody else resents it either (from what I can tell). We do, however, laugh quite a bit, and are greatly entertained, by this accidental comedian. :lol:
Jason

Post by brothers »

It's great comedy. I see it more as entertainment than informational. If he's making money on it all, then so be it! :lol: I give the guy credit for running what appears to be a successful brick and mortar shaving enterprise. I've had family members going to and through Austin, but when I remind them to stop by Enchante and pick me up some nice gifts, they think I'm joking. I guess I'll have to go myself just to say I've been there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

Gary, with your far-flung knowledge of shave soaps and creams, especially brushless creams, your report on his activators, initiators, cutting balms, etc. will be invaluable. I'm curious how they are scent-wise. I don't suppose he offers samples, though.
Porter
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

gary if you really want his products,,you can use his website and order online..

i will pass...

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm seeing those English soaps and stuff behind him, and the brushes. Who knows! (It's not in the getting, it's in the visit to the store, I'm curious about. :lol: )
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
evahs

Post by evahs »

What's interesting is that he continues to call it Method Shaving(MS), yet there appears to be no method at all, only chaos. He used to “cut” the 3 forms, which basically followed the regular wet shaving idea of with the grain, across the grain and against the grain passes. MS now appears to have mutated into a wild, out of control Slag fest with multiple passes over the “cutting manifold” in different directions without re-lathering in between, just “stretching the mix”. While watching a few of his videos, I noticed that he creates “the mix” differently in each one. Sometimes it’s “slag” and cutting balm, other times it’s “slag” and paste(different pastes as well), then he uses “slag” and finishing balm etc, etc…there is no method other than he uses “slag” for everything. Perhaps a more appropriate name would be Slag Shaving? Looks can be deceiving, but I don’t think that is the case here. . .If I want to watch CAR-toons in the future, I’ll do so on Saturday mornings.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

We've kicked this around a few times here on the forum, especially when Charles comes out with something new. In the past, the shave rag thing got quite a bit of response, most of it not so good.
I'm not saying this method doesn't work; it's just not for me. After 45 years of shaving "David's Method" I have no interest in shaving like a chef at Benihana. It is however, entertaining in its own sort of way.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
95%

Post by 95% »

David - that Benihana analogy is perfect. Charles puts on a great show, and honestly I don't know how he does it without drawing a drop of blood.
Porter
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

shaving like a chef at Benihana.
i could not have said any better myself

thats funny but not as funny as watching him go that routine and shaving the way he does..talk about over kill

all the enjpyment is lost

marc
OldSaw

Post by OldSaw »

I've watched him do his bag of tricks several times and was wondering, when does he ever do the edges? He spends about 90% of his time zinging the razor across his cheeks and neck, with barely a stroke or two under the nose and never anything near the side burns.

Does 75 strokes WTG equal one stroke ATG? Seems like no matter how many strokes I take WTG and XTG, I still need to go ATG to get BBS.
Relax...Take it easy...Enjoy the lather

Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evahs, Well, CR's 'method' has been 'mutating' from the start...often at a pretty brisk pace. His acolytes often struggled to keep up with the latest version...and the required products, which increased in number and were, of course, only available through him ( ahem ). But just when one thought there was no where left to go with it, we get this. One has to look at it as comedic entertainment as Charles left real shaving behind a long time ago. He DID start out with it though and his shop still stocks a lot of genuine quality products....products he used to recommend before he decided that the money was in proprietary weirdness.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Basically, here's a guy selling rags for $10. My hat's off to you Charles. :lol:
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Boldly going where no shaver has gone before . . .

Hey, I respect the guy, maintaining a small specialty business in this economy is no small feat. And how did a little guy in Texas get Simpsons to create that HMW Manchurian brush exclusive to his shop? The man has panache.

Charles approaches shaving with enthusiasm and a genuine intellectual curiosity over what is after all a rather plebeian subject. Are his methods and proprietary shaving products worth it? You be the judge. I don't use them but I don't use anyone elses' either. For me it's just shaving, cream/soaps, aftershaveb/colognes and as I grow older even that focus is narrowing.

In addition to the shaving room, more like an atelier actually, is a store fully stocked with traditional shaving products, the three T's and all the rest. It was on visits there I learned:

a) that Manchurian brush was very impressive
b) I don't care for Eucris cologne
c) I do like Trumper's Sandalwood cologne
d) Ajaccio Violet was interesting enough to buy even over my companion's objections.
e) British branded hair brushes are Kents in disguise

The place is well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Regards,
Squire