Techniques, Accommodations, Good Shaves

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rsp1202

Techniques, Accommodations, Good Shaves

Post by rsp1202 »

The last year and a half I've had to accommodate a mobile lifestyle with equipment that hardly matches the standards of many of the board members here. I've also given up brushes for the time being, along with some excellent creams and soaps I used to use regularly. My favored injector makes an appearance now and then, but much of my shaving involves a revolving door of Trac II, Sensor, and now Hydro 3 razors and cartridges -- I can only carry so much and don't want to risk losing any of the finer elements to the characters in the jungle I find myself sharing time and space with.

By necessity, shaves are rather faster than I would like, and usually done under less than optimum conditions (no Mozart, Sinatra or Stones playing in the background). A pass and some buffing substitutes for a three-peat.

Yet, my shaves have never been better, I rarely nick myself (as I did constantly the first few decades of shaving before discovering this website), and I feel I cut a, if not dashing, than certainly clean image that doesn't scare children or elderly women.

Over time, and thanks to reading and re-reading the postings here until the wisdom sunk in, I've somehow managed to incorporate the best of the teachings and emerged a better shaver. I now work the angles, moderate the pressure, accept the DFS rather than BBS results, and enjoy the results much more. There are so many posters I owe these results to, but I've found that by listening to Dr. Chris, Gordon, Squire, Murray -- but certainly not limited to them -- I've learned a lot about the art of it all, something I missed by not having a father around to show me the ropes during my early years.

As for this constant prattle about injectors, well . . . as I've said before, it chose me rather than the other way around. It just works, and though I don't get to use it as much as I'd like, I appreciate it more each day. I'm especially grateful for Gordon and David/desertbadger's boosterism and sharing their combined knowledge, which surely surpasses that of many pharaonic dynasties.

This blathering was provoked by having a few days of some really good shaves going, which does tend to lift one's spirits. I'll take that wherever I can get it.
Last edited by rsp1202 on Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ron
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey Ron,

Whatever works for you. The object of the game is to enjoy your shave. If when on the road this is the way it has to be, "so be it". Enjoy your shave.

Oscar
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Ron, thank you for the kind words!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

ron, it seems to me that you used smf for what is truley all about..

congrats to you
marc
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, that is, indeed, the main purpose of SMF and it's gratifying to hear that we, and myself in particular, have been of positive use to you. Continue to enjoy your shaves and pass on what you've learned when the opportunity arises. Thanks for taking the time to share this post with us.
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Ron, it's great to hear that you are getting a satisfying shave and still enjoying it, regardless of the tools that circumstances require of you. Thanks for letting me know that my contribution was helpful.

- Murray