How I improved my shaves

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
harper

Post by harper »

Ouchmychin, I am sure that is what he told you but that does not mean that Gillette had anything to do with it. He could have had other reasons. For example, the drug store where I bought my blades did not display SS blades not because he was told to hide them but because he saved them as a favor for his best customers. As you recall, when Wilkinson first introduced its SS blades they were in short supply for some time. When he told me he could get me a case I knew the shortage was over.

You are right about the longevity ... one of the big mistakes Gillette made because they thought shavers would prefer sharpness to blade longevity ... and were they wrong. I had forgotten about the places in the medicine cabinet where you could slide your used blades but now I remember them well.

And one of the things shavers disliked the most ... and many still do even with today's greatDE blades ... is fiddling with the wrappers to open the blade and disposing of used blades. Gillette solved that ... as did others ... with DE blades in a container that you could slide the blades out and dispose of the old blades in the same container. Still, it is not as convenient as a cartridge razor.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh those medicine cabinet slots, my contractor clients hate them. The job of removing thousands of used razor blades from between studs is usually assigned to the lowest entry level employee.
Regards,
Squire
harper

Post by harper »

Squire: As I wrote that I had a thought about all those houses with medicine cabinets and millions of razor blades and what a mess it would be to open up a wall and find them. It's like the guys who go to work as trainees in the car dealer service departments and get stuck changing the oil on car after car ... an even less pleasant task in the winter.
95%

Post by 95% »

One day, when demolishing an old house, a contractor won't know that a million loose, rusty razor blades lurk between the walls. Those blades will be scattered among the general debris. I hate to think about what could happen; the imagination runs wild.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm told it's even worse when they have rusted together into a solid mass.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like an assortment of tall tales. I've lived in several of those houses, and never found occasion to rip out the sheetrock directly under the bathroom sink, between the two studs that abide therein. But, if I'm a laborer and the boss says take out that piece of sheetrock and replace it. that's what I'll do, and the pay is the same whether I fart around with a clump of used blades or rusty pipes or moldy wet sheetrock, I do it, I get paid. and I go home at quitting time. The guy complaining about it must be a sissy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
95%

Post by 95% »

Yep, that's old Gary for ya. He rips out those twisted rusted razor blades with his bare hands. :)
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

First hand reports Gary, I don't repeat tall tales. Complete renovation involves a good deal more than replacing a bit of sheet rock and removal then disposal of all hazardous material must be done by OSHA regulations.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm going to throw those bad boys in the dumpster.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444