Shaving once a week?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DBo73

Shaving once a week?

Post by DBo73 »

Hi, new here, and new to DE wet shaving. let me first say I wish I would have started DE shaving years ago! Also, I have been lurking on here for a couple weeks and have learned alot from you guy's! For my question. I usally only shave once a week. Since starting DE shaving my skin irritation and ingrown hair is almost gone! question is, is only shaving once a week benificial? I know you can shave every day also, but is it good to give you face a rest? or should you shave every other day, or every three days? Does it depend on your paricular beard? I guess what I am asking is what is optimal for face health?
Thanks
Merkur 38c HD
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Dbo, welcome aboard. I don't believe there is any shaving regimen that could be called 'the best'.

We have members who shave twice daily, once daily, once every 2-3 days, once a week and so forth. We have members who wear beards and shave only their neck but do that regularly.

We have members who use only traditional alcohol based aftershaves and those who react to alcohol, scents (all types) or both.

In short, what works for one may not work for the other so you are free to experiment with them all.
Last edited by Squire on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

+1 With the addition that with practice you can develop good technique to shave as often as you like... typically. There are always exceptions and no matter how good someone's technique their skin cannot handle too many shaves close together. Welcome and let us know how it goes.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

What I want to know is since you've been blade shaving and know how enjoyable it is, why aren't you asking how you can get the whiskers to grow faster!? I know when I started I thought that many times.

Maybe a rest is in order if you use a super aggressive razor. Maybe.

+1 What Squire wrote.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
merkri

Post by merkri »

Welcome.

I think it really depends on a lot of factors, including your skin, beard, the weather, the soap, the razor you're using, etc.

I find my skin is best if I shave every two days or so. If I shave more often, it gets a little dry and irritated; if I shave less often, I tend to have more problems with acne, etc. Also, my beard grows slow enough that I don't really have a big need to shave more often than that.

It does depend on the season, though--I think I shave more often in the warmer months.

Wetshaving with a DE really does wonders for my skin. I probably could shave every day without too many problems, but do better if I wait a little while.

My guess is it's very different for every person.
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome DBo!

My, aren't we a tolerant group! So diverse and so accepting!

I agree, this choice is very personal, and nobody's business but one's own.

I'm self-employed, so I can get away with not shaving. I tend to like to shave every-other-day with an aggressive razor and a very sharp blade.

If I have to shave "every day" because of meetings, court appearances, weddings, funerals and the like - where I cannot appear too scruffy - I will default to a mild razor like a Gillette Super Speed, an EJ etc.
Regards,
Andy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, DBo73!

I would agree with the othes that the frequency of your shave would depend on your skin, your beard, your work and social requirements, and what you want to do.

I wear a beard, I shave only my neck, and the skin on my neck is very sensitive. I shave three nights a week (Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday), and my best shave is on Sunday after a break of two days. Fortunately, I don't have to wear a tie to work, or I would have to do a simpler shave on a daily basis to keep from tearing up the collars.

Men with very dense beards appear to be the ones who most often say skipping a day doesn't work for them.

- Murray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!
Basically, I have to shave everyday, I have a fairly thick beard. If I go a day without shaving I look like a wineo.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

im with daswerbadger's post.

i also find daily shaving makes is easier to shave, less growth the easier it is to shave.

marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 to what everyone has said. In other words, ymmv - and you do what you feel works best for you. Some weeks I shave daily, some weeks I go every 2 or 3 days. There is no fine science to it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

desertbadger wrote:Welcome to SMF!
Basically, I have to shave everyday, I have a fairly thick beard. If I go a day without shaving I look like a wineo.

Regards,
David
I resent that remark! I am a wineo AND I shave every day!

So there! :wink:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

paddy

Post by paddy »

i have to work in a pretty formal office environment. i shave every weekday, but never at the weekends, unless i'm heading out at the weekend and the occasion demands that i should be clean shaven.

i think not shaving a couple of days every week or so to let your skin rest and recover is beneficial.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
brothers

Post by brothers »

paddy wrote:I think not shaving a couple of days every week or so to let your skin rest and recover is beneficial.
Yes, I agree. If I miss/skip a day once in a while, no one's the wiser. Then the 2 day shave is always a good one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Quite a few things mentioned above cover my reason for daily to every other day shaves. I'm self-employed so I really don't want to go more than a day between shaves. Also being married, I prefer not to scratch my wife up with my stubble so I like to be as smooth as possible for as long as possible.

And to the wino comments above I had to share this...

Once I saw this wino who was eating grapes, and I said, "Dude, you have to wait". - Mitch Hedberg
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
franz

Post by franz »

I prefer shaving every other day because of sensitive skin. My facial hair is a mix of light brown and blond, so we're not talking Fred Flintstone.... I doubt anyone's the wiser.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Ive gone a week without shaving a few times. For some reason one week is an easier shave than 4 days is...have no idea why. Every 2 days works for me, but if theres a chance for kisses I will shave every day :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Shave for kisses, that's sound thinking.
Regards,
Squire
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

when I first de'd 4 years ago..now using straights..I used to shave 1x a week..then went to every 3 days..much better
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I shave when I want to. I work out of my home and will usually on shave on consecutive days when I am meeting with a client or in a situation where I need to have a clean shaven face. That means that I will sometimes shave a couple days in a row and at other times maybe not for 2 to 3 days.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's a kind of self-regulating activity. Nobody's going to notice, or if they do, they just say oh, you're growing a beard! The only time I've ever been shouted at for anything shave-related was as a new inductee into the US Army, when the sergeant didn't like me having whiskers. But then, we got shouted at for everything.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444