New DE Shaver

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
dosco

Post by dosco »

So I used the Personna HU for about 6 shaves. Not a bad DE blade, but something about it leaves me ... unsure.

Switched it out for a Gillette 7 O'Clock (Russian), which for some reason "seems right." I really like it; not sure if it is the blade or my technique improving; or both. Will go with a Blue Bird blade next.

The Proraso cream is excellent.

And made some homebrew aftershave with witch hazel, gin, vodka infused with lime rind, and some CVS vaporizer oil (camphor, menthol, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil). I really like it although a touch of cologne scent would be nice.

I have to say that I really enjoy shaving now. It used to be a chore that I happily avoided on weekends. Not any more.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Dave

I think your doing really well with the Feathers, these blades are normally regarded as being very sharp but the longevity is questionable to some here, however YMMV as with all things.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Have you tried Super Iridiums (If you can find them) or the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums in the Blue box, these are worth ago IMO.
John
dosco

Post by dosco »

John:
I have not tried the Iridiums or the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinums in blue. I'll plan on buying some when I get another sample pack ... although it could be a while before that happens!

And yes, I am enjoying my time on this forum.
slackskin

Feedback for dorsco

Post by slackskin »

Welcome aboard. Sit back and enjoy.

You've gotten lots of good food for thought here. May I suggest a couple more things.

First, consider a top shelf soap such as Taylor of Old Bond Street, Trumpers or Truefitt & Hill. Don't let the price scare you off; they last so long that in the long run they are competitive with Col Conk and Williams. I have never used Williams myself, but it doesn't have the same ingredients as a top-shelf soap. Cadillac versus vintage Ford Pinto.

Secondly, when you are ready to upgrade the razor, consider an Edwin Jagger DE89L. Besides being beautiful, it has a lined handle (not knurled, but lined) to discourage slipping in wet hands. The plating and overall quality is (in my opinion) superior to Merkur. The EJ and Merkur head may look alike to the naked eye, but they really are somehow different (blade angle maybe?) and so the EJ provides great shaves (better than Merkur, in my opinion).
dosco

Post by dosco »

slackskin, thanks for the suggestions. I will consider these options when the time comes for my next purchase.
dosco

Post by dosco »

So I've gone through a "rotation" of DE blades since starting ...

Derby
Feather
Personna HU
Gilette 7 O'Clock (Russian)
BlueBird

(all along I've been using CO Bigelow and a Williams brush ... I have switched between Aqua Velva, home-brew aftershave, and a nice batch of home-made Bay Rum (thanks Brian!))

Today I decided to use a Feather again ... got a wonderfully smooth shave.

After I finish with the Feather I'll goto the Derby and <Darth Vader> "the circle will be complete."</Darth Vader>

So far I would agree with others who have observed that the Feather blade is the "gold standard." So far it is my favorite ... ...
dosco

Post by dosco »

I'm on my third Personna HU razor and it just isn't for me. Tears up my neck something fierce.

Have used my second Gillette yellow (Russian) and I still agree with my initial assessment that it's "my blade."
brothers

Post by brothers »

No doubt, the yellow Gillettes are very good blades. Too bad the Personnas aren't working for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

\:D/

Definitely great blades!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

Well, it certainly could be my technique. I have 2 more blades and will try them in the future as part of the rotation in order to solidify my opinion.

Odd(?), though, that the Gillettes made such an impression on me.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dosco, I was fortunate or unfortunate enough to use a 7:00 Yellow as my second test blade. It was love at first pass. But what did I know then? I did recognize it as superior at the time though, despite my lack of experience. Since then I've tested maybe 30 blades and a few are as good as the yellows but most aren't.

Just because you've found a really good blade, I wouldn't (and didn't) stop testing. After I was about 1/2 through my test blades I did buy 200 of the Yellows because I realized by that time that I actually had found a really good one.

You've got to experience the bad or not so good blades to recognize the really great ones. You may have already discovered a great one though.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

Brian:
Thanks for weighing in.

I hope I didn't mis-state something ... I have no plans to discontinue my "testing." I will use the remaining Personna blades as well as the others in my sample pack (Feather, Gillette, Derby, and Bluebird).

-Dave
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

ShadowsDad wrote:Dosco, I was fortunate or unfortunate enough to use a 7:00 Yellow as my second test blade. It was love at first pass. But what did I know then? I did recognize it as superior at the time though, despite my lack of experience. Since then I've tested maybe 30 blades and a few are as good as the yellows but most aren't.

Just because you've found a really good blade, I wouldn't (and didn't) stop testing. After I was about 1/2 through my test blades I did buy 200 of the Yellows because I realized by that time that I actually had found a really good one.

You've got to experience the bad or not so good blades to recognize the really great ones. You may have already discovered a great one though.
+1
John
dosco

Post by dosco »

I had a few extra minutes today so I stopped at a local antique shop ... found an "antique" Gillette razor for $8.00. As far as I can tell it's in good working order and it appears to be a Super Speed ... I have no idea of the age of the thing.

<edit>
I wanted to post pics but I do not have a site to host the pics. Maybe later or another day.

I cleaned it up and will use it tomorrow AM. I compared it to the el-cheapo Lord 3-piece and it appears the gap between the blade's edge and safety bar is quite a bit larger than that of the Lord. Should be interesting tomorrow morning.

<edit 2>
After further investigation ... I surmise it to be a 1970s black-handled Super Speed ... the irony of using this razor is not lost on me, as I was born in 1970. I washed it in very hot, soapy water and the "black" on the handle dissolved (or was washed away). Not sure what the "black" was - paint or plastic - but the razor appears to be in good shape. Will shortly post a report on the shave using a new Bluebird Hi-Stainless blade.
dosco

Post by dosco »

I used the Gillette SS with a new Bluebird Hi-Stainless blade.

Wow.

Definitely a different blade angle when compared to the el-cheapo Lord 3-piece, but once I adapted I thought it to be mild. Definitely had to go a little slower with the new razor due to the different angle.

I easily accomplished a BBS using a 3-pass shave. 1 weeper, no nicks, all good. Love it.

Very nice, I understand why many like these razors.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, if your hands could stand the heat of the water so should the black on the handle if it was original- it's a sort of plastic coating from the factory. But if it was black originally the razor is low on the aggressiveness scale, but it is still a small step up. It's a decent mild razor. Good noob razor. I'd retire the other one or PIF it out.

BTW, the black is only cosmetic- doesn't affect the shave even a little bit. If it didn't come off in the wash, it wears off in use, so it's no big deal

Glad it's getting better for you. =D>

BTW, you are now on the foothills of the slippery slope of AD. Welcome!
Brian