Shaving Over Razor Bumps - turned in to a viscous cycle

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bennay

Post by bennay »

Forgot to mention I changed blades! Used an Astra for the first time. Seemed pretty sharp (definitely more compared to the Derbys). Sliced through my growth with no problem.

But I did try using an Alum block for the first time after the shave... WOOooo it stung in certain places but subdued relatively quickly. It felt like a good sting but not sure if that's normal yet.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well done -- you are making good progress ---- you may still want to give yourself a day off before your next shave to give your skin a break. Shaving is hard on the skin - no matter how you slice it (pun intended :wink: ).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well done indeed, if I can give any advice it's my first rule is an irritation free shave.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

bennay, the sting of the alum is of value, to me, by showing me the areas where I've been more prone to using a bit too much pressure or maybe going over an area a little too often, and when it tends to sting, I know it's doing what it was made for. Wendell's got a good point about taking a day off once in a while to allow the skin to adjust itself to the changing shaving conditions.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am an alum user - although I have been without stock since just before Christmas and haven't gotten around to getting more yet, I like its astringent properties.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?