It Seems I'm More of a Cold Wet Shaver...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bennay

It Seems I'm More of a Cold Wet Shaver...

Post by bennay »

Just when I was starting to warm up to hot lathering and rinsing. I even bought a nice bowl that floats in my sink to keep my brush and lather warm. The warmth felt nice.

But then today happened. I left my brush soak in hot water as I showered. I then made my typical (face) lather and left my brush out. I decided to use cold (not freezing but fairly cold) water during my shave. It was by far one of my better shaves, and in much faster time. It was one of my closer shaves, and it felt like I had a lot less irritation (even on my neck). Then I applied my alum block and it was confirmed - very little stinging. Easily my closest shave with less irritation.

I got mixed feelings on this (I liked the warmth, especially on later passes)... I've read that other also get better results with colder water. My only question is should I still make my lather with hot water or does it not matter?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

bennay it does not matter so use what you like.
Regards,
Squire
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Interesting concept although I have never tried this myself, I'm more of a conventional hot water shave and cold rinse kind of guy.

However, I would be interested in whether cold water shaving has any influence over Blade longevity as against hot water.

Perhaps somebody here has done a study on this?

All the best
John
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Everyone's mileage will vary on the subject, that's guaranteed.

Congratulations for moving down the path of finding what works for you and suits your own tastes. That's the wonderful aspect of wet shaving.

I'm a tepid man my self, for shower and shave. Just not a big fan of really hot water on my face.
Good shaving,

Gary
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Unacceptable - cold water lathering should be posted to another forum, 'Shave My Face With Cold Water' !

Oh wait, I see you are from Canada - then I guess that makes it OK

:wink:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

As with all things related to wet shaving ..... ymmv -- I think it's been said already, but not in these terms. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Yeah...its about you and what makes your shave best and most enjoyable.

For me, cold water shaving is uncomfortable. So I prefer the heat.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris if you want to post my photo I require a royalty.
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Do you accept confederate script? :-k
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When I was a kid in the early '50s we played with Confederate script. That stuff is worth a lot of money today.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Jonnieboy61 wrote:...However, I would be interested in whether cold water shaving has any influence over Blade longevity as against hot water....
In my opinion it does. I use the Fusion ProGlide cartridge, which has five very thin blades. If I use only cold water, the cartridge seems to last longer - as long as three weeks. I hypothesize that because the metal expands and contracts less, it's subject to a smaller amount of stress.
Porter
KAV

Post by KAV »

EXTREME heat isn't good for car engines, blades or skin. The american way seems to be 20x the household pesticides listed, car horsepower and Hollywood starlet surgical hotness.
'MOM! Where is all the rebel money and Griswold and Gunnerson Navy? I just discovered a new resource for my shaving collection!' =D>
I must be the only family with a private and not a colonel for an ancestor.