Moisturizing soap to replace Proraso

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Norgold

Moisturizing soap to replace Proraso

Post by Norgold »

Hey all,

This is my first post, so go easy on me, I'm no expert straight-blader or anything :) I did learn a lot looking through the forums but I don't want to end up with the collection the Dr has in my search :)
I recently bought some Truefitt & Hill (yay!), but I'm not sure the cream will do it for me. It doesn't seem to shave as nicely as Proraso.

Proraso: good shave even on long hairs, but dries my skin, smells funky, has menthol.
Neutrogena: moisturizes, smells nice, but so-so shave
T&H 1805: moisturizes (especially when combined with their great balm), smells great, but not as good of a shave (maybe I'm using it wrong? I am not lathering with it since it is a cream...?)

-------
Goals:
Moisturize
Protect
Close Shave
Good lather

I've heard some common favorites here (soaps):
Valobra Almond
Tabac
Irisch Moos
DR Harris
T&H Soap

I do not know which one will be better? Should I also try the T&H soap? (someone here said it dries the skin) Is there another soap that is as moisturizing and kind to the skin as T&H cream but as good of a lather and close shave as Proraso without the menthol and strange smell?

If nothing else, can you at least give me your two top soaps that fit the bill? Thanks! =)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum!

I promise I'll go easy and be as delicate as I can be.

How long have you been blade shaving? What's your gear, experience, etc. we need to know things like that in order to really help. It's no big deal we have no idea who you are. It's hard to diagnose anything with the little you've given. We can say use this or that, but if you don't have basic knowledge it would sort of be like telling you to run around in the hope that something might work by chance.

The reason I ask for background is that most of those soaps have a pretty decent reputation. It may be the way they're being used as far as the shave goes. Lather building is a critical skill.

I have no direct knowledge of the T&H cream, but unless it's specifically a brushless product, I haven't seen one yet that didn't benefit from being turned into lather.

As far as moisturizing, I assume you mean after the shave, it might be better handled with a balm or a decent AS with moisturizing properties. But you already know about that.

Now I'll back off and let others get in here to help.

Edit: Good grief! Did I read the post and respond to it or another? OK, I'm blaming it on a mind fart.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sun May 27, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Welcome sir! I'd suggest lathering your T&H 1805 with a badger brush and see how you like it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

brothers wrote:Welcome sir! I'd suggest lathering your T&H 1805 with a badger brush and see how you like it.
big +1.

Then use it for a few weeks, everyday. You'll learn a lot :)
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

If you like Proraso, but find it a little drying and dislike the menthol, you might want to the new formula Proraso white ( for sensitive skin), which has additional moisturizers and is not loaded with menthol. It should be just what you are looking for, IMO.

On a side note, if Proraso works, but most other soaps are causing issues, use more of them. Proraso handles hard water better than most soaps, so, if you have hard water, that may be part of the issue as well.
Shavetools.com Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long brushes, Merkur razors, and more.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Come often, stay long, and

ENJOY YOUR SHAVE... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...