New Member help

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

pm answered.
Regards,
Squire
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Ok guys. Since im still waiting for a razor and my supplies, i had to shave tonight with my mach 3 and can gel. Like usual, I didnt get that great of a shave on my neck. My face does fine with a N-S pass and chin area gets an XTG pass. My neck though, its difficult. I am a fairly skinny guy with a rather large adams apple. Being skinny and a large adams apple, I have almost no flat spots on my neck. This is where I have my problems.
Here is how my hair growth is.
And how I currently shave my face.

I am worried that shaving with a DE razor wont be much easier on my neck because it is rather difficult to shave without it having any true flat spots. IS my current shave pattern going to be ok to use or do I need to do something else?
Also, the way I shave does not get all my neck hair. I still have stubble on it. If I go directly across grain on neck, I get razor bumps and my neck will itch some the day after I shave.

Any help?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

#1 -- don't get caught up in the pursuit for the perfect bbs (baby-butt-smooth) result right away -- you'll end up trying way too hard.

The one key to remember where technique is concerned is that you use multiple passes to reduce your whisker growth --- rather than the cartridge mindset which calls for machete-ing your way through everything with as few strokes as you can get. Man, I can't believe I actually shaved like that at one time in my life. :oops:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I suspect many of us have crazy hair growth on our necks.

After a time I found that I could make a n/s pass on my entire upper face and a s/n pass completed the job. OK, not truly s/n, there are some areas where a slightly easterly or westerly direction helps, mainly around the chin.

For the necks first pass, (first pass for the entire face) I shave from l-r paying particular attention to my problem areas around the chin and one spot below the jawbone. On my second full face pass under the jawbone I go in the opposite direction and make sure if I didn't get any areas that previous pass to get them this time.

For touchups, most times it's a few stragglers around the adams apple and maybe a little near the chin. Then I'm done. I call it 2 1/3 passes.

I don't get overly involved in small areas on my face where the hairs change direction. I just do an area (basically) and get the rest with the touchups.

I hope that made sense.

IMO, you'll go nuts if you try do do small sections where the hairs change direction. Those tiny areas are great for touchups though.

You'll figure out what works best for you, and the way I shave may not work for you since I have my face and you have yours.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Wed May 30, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Alright well ill be working on technique for awhile at first anyway. Ill go for a smooth shave later. I also have all my supplies on the way. Should have everything this weekend! 8)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Fire, are you all set on technique? There should be plenty already written about it.

Coming to blades from a cartridge the hardest part is going to be not bearing down. Something that was taught to you by cartridge use.

You want the blade and head to just caress the face with enough firmness to not chatter. If the blade is deforming the skin you have too much pressure so back it off.

Once you get that you'll start to get really good shaves. Until then maybe not so much. It's completely counterintuitive to not apply pressure, but that's the way a blade razor works.

We're here if you need us.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome TJF!

You've come to the right place. I know of no better place to learn on the internet than the Shave My Face University forum.

Keep in mind that the learning curve is slow to start. The first three weeks probably won't go very well. Eventually you'll get the hang of it, and then you'll wonder why it took so longer to figure out!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

GA Russell wrote:...
Keep in mind that the learning curve is slow to start. The first three weeks probably won't go very well. Eventually you'll get the hang of it, and then you'll wonder why it took so longer to figure out!
+1 -- this simply doesn't come easy or quick for most of us -- but one thing for sure -- it is certainly well worth the effort.
Last edited by jww on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell

FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

I will take my time with technique and stick with the same items for atleast 3 weeks if possible. A member here is sending me three razors. A superspeed, tech and a krona. Out of the three, which should i start with?
celar36

Post by celar36 »

For my sensitive skin SS works better then Tech... Personal choice thou

Edit: Try personna prep blades if u will have chance :)
Jack
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Ok and my current blade sampler has

Derby Extra's
Bic Chrome Platinum
Nacet Platinum
Nacet Stainless
Feather All Stainless
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Astra
Shark
Blue Bird

50 Blades all together. I wanted too first try Personna's but all the samplers I was looking at didnt contain any...
celar36

Post by celar36 »

try with Derby and Astra first. Leave Feather more towards end when you will feel confident.
Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The tech is the mildest, the SS one or 2 tiny notches more aggressive, but not by much. I don't know where the Krona fits in there.

The Tech and SS are good starter razors. Again, that isn't to take anything from the Krona, I just don't know anything about it.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

celar36 wrote:try with Derby and Astra first. Leave Feather more towards end when you will feel confident.
I was a Derby Extra man for a very long time - until the latest batch became dodgy and inconsistent. My first experience with a Feather was wonderful. I was so scared of them, but by the time I tried them, I was very comfortable with my technique - so I think there is something in this statement.
Wendell

FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Ok ill think ill start out with the tech and the derby blade. Ill see how well that shaves. Thanks guy! I should be able to start my shaves with a DE razor by sunday!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds like a good choice FT.
Regards,
Squire
celar36

Post by celar36 »

You never know what good. First shave might be terrible:) remember no pressure:)

What is more remember that if derby dont works well with Tech might works well with SS. Ones think :D
Jack
FireTJ

Post by FireTJ »

Well I have all my supplies now. I will be trying my first DE shave tonight and I hope it goes well! haha
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Preparation, preparation, preparation...
Technique, technique, technique...
No Pressure, no pressure, no pressure...
Let the razor do the work...
Razor, Blade, and Cream/Soap combo (May take a while to find the right combo)...
Witch Hazel, Witch Hazel with Moisturizer, After Shave Balm...

And as always...ENJOY YOUR SHAVE...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Racso_MS wrote:Preparation, preparation, preparation...
Technique, technique, technique...
No Pressure, no pressure, no pressure...
Let the razor do the work...
Razor, Blade, and Cream/Soap combo (May take a while to find the right combo)...
Witch Hazel, Witch Hazel with Moisturizer, After Shave Balm...

And as always...ENJOY YOUR SHAVE...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM...
Yeah - like, what the man sez.
Wendell