Chinese brand on eBay silly price?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Ross-kl

Chinese brand on eBay silly price?

Post by Ross-kl »

Hi all,

Came across this just now on eBay, does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIJUN-SHAVING-2 ... 1432wt_772

Cheers :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't have any experience with them, nonetheless, the fact that the seller has 100% positive feedback on almost a thousand transactions is a pretty good recommendation in itself. Good luck with your decision. If you buy it and try it out, please make a note to come back and post about it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ross-kl

Post by Ross-kl »

Many thanks Gary, I think I'll take a punt. I've googled them up they seem to be a legit shaving company. I hope the brush is genuine badger silvertip.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ross I was sent one of these brushes a few years back for evaluation and wrote a report that's buried somewhere in our archives. As best I can recall the handle was very well finished, the knot fill and hair quality more than adequate. Other than a tendency to shed I had no complaints.

Not at that price though. This is an entry level quality brush and other makers, Vulfix, Kent, will sell you a better brush for that price or less and stand behind their product.
Regards,
Squire
Ross-kl

Post by Ross-kl »

Hiya Squire, I noticed you are using the Kent BK4 and its about £47 online. This one is quite interesting and on my hit list, how is it for you?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not Squire, he will speak for himself. I have had a BK4 for a couple of years, and have found no fault with it. They are excellent brushes, as good as any in their price range.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Ross-ki, I, like Squire, liked my Lijun at the $30 price point.

I note that your link offers free shipping from China. I think the shipping from China is $9.00, so that would bring the brush in line with what the Lijuns go for.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Afternoon all,

I can't speak for the Chinese brush at all, but the Kent BK4 is one of my favorites. Lathers creams and soaps incredibly easy and has a very nicely sized handle. I have had no issues with mine in over 3 or 4 years. Best of luck with your, no doubt, ever growing SBAD!

Regards,
Niksa
"Life has no meaning a priori … It is up to you to give it a meaning, and value is nothing but the meaning that you choose." Jean-Paul Sartre - Being and Nothingness
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ross the Kent BK4 perfectly suits all my needs in a shaving brush.
Regards,
Squire
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

well, here's my experience and opinion of the chinese.

i bought a set of american made golf clubs (at least that's what the customer service said) only to find out the transaction went to china and was, indeed, counterfeit clubs made in china. to this day the chinese didn't see anything wrong with what they were doing. luckily my credit card company took care of the problem.

then what about the counterfeit shavemacs that were made in china ?

what about the counterfeit iridiums made in china?

my opinion of the chinese is not very good and i'll have nothing to do with them. that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it. let the buyer beware
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gil, Lijun is proudly Chinese. I don't see what your experience with Chinese counterfeits has to do with it.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

GA Russell wrote:Gil, Lijun is proudly Chinese. I don't see what your experience with Chinese counterfeits has to do with it.
i have a hunch lijun was the source of the counterfeit shavemacs
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

GA Russell wrote:Gil, Lijun is proudly Chinese. I don't see what your experience with Chinese counterfeits has to do with it.
"proudly chinese" ? not sure what that means but i don't wish to get into arguments on this gentlemen's forum about politics or whatever. i simply stated my experience and if you want to send your cash to china, be my guest. a tried and true company like kent would get my funds way before a chinese outfit
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I understand precisely what you mean Gil.

For years business couldn't be conducted there because of their imbedded slipperyness. That's a matter of fact and history.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ross-kl

Post by Ross-kl »

Great news. I'm happy to inform I've made a purchase. I'm awaiting my lovely brush from China.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Let us know how you like it Ross.
Regards,
Squire
Ross-kl

Post by Ross-kl »

Squire wrote:Let us know how you like it Ross.
Cheers mate, currently I'm in Kuala Lumpur, Loving it here before I return to England this weekend. They have a Truefitt & Hill shaving shop here. I may pop in for a shave.
Raag

Post by Raag »

Also interested in your thoughts on the brush!
panama

Post by panama »

I jest saw this post, I have a silvertip from China that cost around $25 shipped. Very soft, does not shed abd works very well with all of my soaps. I see one listed with a black bag from Beijing. I think this is the one I bought. I see another that looks just like it with a stand for $5 less. I have had very good luck buying from China, Feather blades $30 per hundred. I think all badger bristles come from China, the differece in an expensive brush and this one is a hand turned vs. molded handle.