What happens after the shave?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I've used alum off and on over the years (and I'd be using it now, had one of my children not dropped it on the floor, turning it to gravel). One thing I noted is that it does not play well with GFT Skin Food, as it seems to make it "curdle" a bit. Unlike most users, I don't rinse it off-- just rub it on and pat dry. No adverse effects noted.

I've also used DRH pink aftershave, Proraso shave balm (white stuff) and splash, the previously mentioned GFT Skin Food (often), GFT moisturizer (not anymore), Thayer's aftershave, and probably some other things over the years as well.

I find my preferences are based on the season and weather. Warmer weather seems to call for skin food. Cool, wet weather results in alum. Not sure when I use Thayers-- somewhere in there. I don't use any moisturizer, however.

YMMV, of course.

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...