What happens after the shave?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Cap'n CutThroat

What happens after the shave?

Post by Cap'n CutThroat »

Being a new(er) convert to wet shaving, I'm trying to establish the steps to achieving a satisfactory result.

I'm yet to fully develop the patience to prevent the all too often nicks & cuts, so a couple of days ago, I started using an alum block after finishing the shave (yet to try this on nicks & cuts, but I'm sure I'll have that opportunity soon!!!)

What I would like to get opinion on, is whether a facial moisturiser is needed after the alum block rub over, as the one time I tried to add the moisturiser (a supermarket "Nivea" brand), it felt "weird".

Should I only be using the alum block when cuts are involved; or

Should I make a moisturiser the preference after the shave; or

Should I use both & just get over the slight "weird" feel that I experienced???
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

When I use one I put the alum on, let it sit for a time, rinse it off, and proceed as normal. I've heard of folks putting alum in their after shave. Basically, it's what works for you.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Cap'n CutThroat

ShadowsDad wrote:When I use one I put the alum on, let it sit for a time, rinse it off, and proceed as normal. I've heard of folks putting alum in their after shave. Basically, it's what works for you.

Rinse it off!!! That's one I'll try; I proceeded to moisturise straight after the alum application.... :roll:
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i don't use alum. i do use an alcohol aftershave to seal the microscopic cuts and quickly stop the lingering irritation if one exists. then i'll use an aftershave balm to moisturize from the drying effects of alcohol. you may also try a witch hazel application after the shave. it works well for razor burn and even sun burn. thayers makes a nice witch hazel product
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You already have some good advise - but here are my thoughts anyway :D

I have been using alum as part of my post shave ritual for many years. After my final pass, I rinse fully with hot water, then rinse the alum bloc and glide it over my face - then rinse it again a place it in a small plastic travel box which I leave open for it to dry fully. I leave it on my face while I clean my brush and razor and letting the water run as cold as I can get it. I then rinse my face thoroughly with the cold water and pat my face dry. I then apply Thayers (Gil is correct - it is by far the best, and they have a great selection of several variants) from a small spray bottle from a dollar store. Next I immediately apply Body Shop's Razor Relief. Then I do a bunch of other clean up such as talc, rinse down the shower, etc. My final aftershave product is Trumpers Skin Food (lime for warm weather, sandalwood for cool or cold weather, and coral any time throughout the year).

I stray away entirely from scented aftershaves and colognes as I have a profound sensitivity is very to strong scents.

There you have it --- ymmv.[/list]
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

First, you need to perfect your technique to avoid nicks, cuts, and weepers. Until you learn the correct way to shave, you will have this problem. And don't misunderstand me, it is very common for new wet shavers. When you find the correct combination of razor, blade, soap/cream, aftr shave balm/lotion, and your technique is good, YOU WON'T NEED THE ALUM BLOCK.

Relax, take you time, slow down, and perfect your technique.

You will figure it out soon and you will look forward to your shave.

Enjoy your shave.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Cap'n CutThroat

Some very interesting methods & products to try - Thanks all!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Racso_MS wrote:First, you need to perfect your technique to avoid nicks, cuts, and weepers. Until you learn the correct way to shave, you will have this problem. And don't misunderstand me, it is very common for new wet shavers. When you find the correct combination of razor, blade, soap/cream, aftr shave balm/lotion, and your technique is good, YOU WON'T NEED THE ALUM BLOCK.
Agreed --- but I still like to use alum block after every shave -- it is part of the ritual for me.
Racso_MS wrote:Relax, take you time, slow down, and perfect your technique.

You will figure it out soon and you will look forward to your shave.

Enjoy your shave.
Agreed --- with his input, Oscar, I think, has provided the best advise on this thread so far. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

What happens after the shave? I stand back, look into the mirror and know that after 47 years years of shaving I got it right....... 8)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

1+ AGREED WITH DAVID ( desertbadger)

marc
Raag

Post by Raag »

I think alum can be good - moisturiser is a personal choice, and if "weird" is bad and leaves your skin oily, then probably is not the best bet (at least the moisturiser you're using). Maybe try running with moisturiser for a week, then a week without, and see which you prefer!
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/
Australian stockist of guys' shaving and grooming gear.
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

marsos52 wrote:1+ AGREED WITH DAVID ( desertbadger)

marc
Does David know that you're watching him in the mirror? :shock:

To the OP, I have recently become a fan of Witch Hazel as well. It's just a nice soothing finish to the shave. You can pick up a large bottle at any drugstore for about $3.

Sometimes I put on aftershave after the Witch Hazel, but not always. This helps stretch the life of the aftershave...which helps me to justify buying the nicer stuff. 8)
Eric
Cap'n CutThroat

To get this straight - is witch hazel classed as an astringent like the alum block, or does it fulfil a different purpose?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have no idea how it's classified, but it's soothing. If that doesn't help it's all I have.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Personally, I use a variety of soaps and creams yet however many passes I take I do my final touch ups pass
using Olive Oil Soap which leaves my skin softer and more supple than any other concoction I can think of.
:wink:
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Let me second Wendell's comments. Also may I suggest you consider D R Harris Aftershave Milk (I do not prefer the Arlington scented milk). It does not contain alcohol and is a fabulous product. Expensive and worth every penny.
Cap'n CutThroat

slackskin wrote:Let me second Wendell's comments. Also may I suggest you consider D R Harris Aftershave Milk (I do not prefer the Arlington scented milk). It does not contain alcohol and is a fabulous product. Expensive and worth every penny.

D R Harris Aftershave Milk sounds like a product I should try....
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sometimes when I use a razor or blade that seems to be on the sharper, keener end of the spectrum (new blade?) I'll decide maybe a once-over with alum or witch hazel is a good idea. I never cut or nick myself any more, but once in a blue moon I might. Most of the time I just try to ignore that kind of stuff unless when I get to work somebody might say "hey you cut yourself shaving". If the alum stings its telling me I needed it. The only actual moisturizing balm I use is the Nivea Cool Kick Face Freeze. It's mild and has a faint pleasant smell.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

"Witch Hazel" is an astringent. It is designed to assist in minor burns, scraps, and insect bites etc. I use it to remove excess/left over shaving cream after the shave. I then use an after shave balm unless I use a Witch Hazel fortified with "Lavender" (etc.) as an after shave. I really like it. If you don't use it as an after shave with the Lavendar, it still can be used as a cleansing product to remove remaining shaving cream/soap, and take care of minor nicks and cuts etc.

If you use it to remove the excess (left over shaving cream/soap) then you need an after shave balm/lotion after words .

I know a few who use it as an after shave as is. I've done that with no problems.

Experiment and "ENJOY YOUR SHAVE.".
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

For years I used just an aftershave such as AV when I was done shaving. That is what my dad did so I followed suit. Stung like hell to say the least. Smelled good and that was it. Never thought about why I used it.

But when I got back to traditional wet shaving I tried some of the AV and again it stung but even worse. So took some advice I got from you folks here at SMF and bought a bottle of Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner to use as an astringent instead of the AV.

But I did notice that I got some irritation, due to poor technique so I got hold of some ASB to calm that down. Again, I got that advice from you folks here at SMF.

So I regularly finish up my shave with a quick splash of the Thayer's followed by my ASB flavor of the day.

Works great, no irritation, BBS shave most days, and I have fun shaving again.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum