New Guy with a couple questions!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bostonfin

New Guy with a couple questions!

Post by bostonfin »

Hello All,

I recently found this forum and have been reading 100's of posts on how to shave properly. Now I have made a couple attempts and I have the cheeks down pat, but for the life of me I cannot get the neck down at all. From reading I assume this is due to a poor blade angle correct? Here is a list of what I am working with:

Dreadnaught "Spartan" Razor
Derby Blades
RazoRock Lavendar pre-shave oil
Badger Brush
Bigelow shave cream
Alum Block
Rose WitchHazel
RazoRock P160 after shave lotion

Also, I think the mentol in the shave cream is irritating my face, now I understand that this could also be due to poor blade technique. I ordered some Cella cream, D R Harris Almond soap, and the RazoRock P160 cream to try. I really like the fragrance of the P160 aftershave and I hope the cream is similar.

One last thing sorry this is so long. After stalking the forums for awhile I really want to try the P160 1K block from itialianbarber.com. I could not find any information on how best to break down and store that much soap. So if anyone could direct me that would be great thanks!
Gene

Post by Gene »

Welcome!

Lots of cool gear to be sure.

Some people don't do menthol very well, some love all they can get. You might have an issue with it, switching to a different cream or soap will help you know.

My neck is the toughest part of my face to shave, too. Takes time to work it out. Also - some razor/blade combinations do better at that than others. My shaves improved when I got an EJ89L razor. Head geometry or something, it just shaves me better. Some guys use nothing but vintage razors. To each his own...that's the beauty of it all.

If you decide to get a different cream you might try a small blade sampler pack. I promise you, each one will feel different, and one might just click for you.

Check in often, never worry about asking questions!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome bostonfin!

In regard to your neck, I would recommend that you stick to one with-the-grain pass for now.

You wouldn't be the first to find that menthol irritates your skin, so chalk that up as a learning experience, and try it again in six months, after your technique is perfected.

Remember to use little to no pressure. The goal is beard reduction, not beard elimination.

It took me a month to get it down, so have patience. The learning curve is long.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

Alright, I will go with the grain one pass for now, I need to heal up a bit though lol. I forgot to mention I did buy some feather blades as well, but I might keep those in the cabinet until i have my technique perfected. Thank you!
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi and welcome to SMF

in general, its mostly not the product that makes a good shave or not.

it is the technique, mastering the technique of using the razor is key.

first is to learn not to use pressure and let your razor do the work.
second is to find the right angle and, being able to keep that angle as you shave. understanding your face has so many turns and bumps. I mean shaving
over your jaw, chin etc etc.

So, find your blade angle by setting the razors head level to you face and slow
adjust the angle till the blade meets the skin. the flatter the blade angle is to your beard the easier it will be to shave sloe and comfortable.

as said before, its all about reduction. try not to get the closest shave,
just be happy with a good shave and with out discomfort, irration and weepers.

the smoothest and closest shave will come in time.

You have a lot of product already, and good quailty items also, and that's a good thing. Actually, more product then many of us use.

If I could suggest any thing different in your product list it would be your blades. I think that a nice sample package of blades would help you to find a blade brand that suits you best.

happy shaving
Marc
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

Marc,

Thank you. I wanted to get some of the good stuff all you guys rave about and see what works best and narrow it down to one or two. If that p160 cream from razorock works and smells as good as the aftershave lotion i'll probably just stick with that.

I think I will be ordering a sample package of razors shortly and continue to work on that technique. The shave is amazing everywhere, but my neck. I really have to work on that. Also, I will add that I have shaved with and without the pre-shave lotion and I find that it works rather nicely.
harper

Post by harper »

Bostonfin: Welcome. I have been shaving for about 400 years now and my neck is still a problem. I use a DE for everything else (Futura at 2.5) with various blades including periodically Derby (not my first choice) and find the best way for me to do my neck is with a Gillette Power Proglide Fusion. Some shavers have problems with multi-blade razors but I don't and I find I get the best neck results with the Fusion. The advice about sample packs is spot on. As for menthol, I hate the stuff and am old enough to remember Kool mentholated cigarettes. They would put anybody off smoking. Good luck with your shaving
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

harper wrote:Bostonfin: Welcome. I have been shaving for about 400 years now and my neck is still a problem. I use a DE for everything else (Futura at 2.5) with various blades including periodically Derby (not my first choice) and find the best way for me to do my neck is with a Gillette Power Proglide Fusion. Some shavers have problems with multi-blade razors but I don't and I find I get the best neck results with the Fusion. The advice about sample packs is spot on. As for menthol, I hate the stuff and am old enough to remember Kool mentholated cigarettes. They would put anybody off smoking. Good luck with your shaving
You know now that you mention it i never had problems with my multi-blade razors on my neck either lol. Hopefully one pass with the DE blade with the grain will do the trick, if not I might be pulling my Hydro out of the garbage.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

No one has tackled the P.160 1kg block breakdown. You have enough to think about with everything else so I'll tackle it.

First, you need to understand that P.160 is underpriced even for what it's selling for now. When it's gone, it's gone for good. That's it for the planet. So buy what you want. Keep it cool and in the dark and it'll last for years. It's one fantastic lather once you understand the product.

I break it down using Ziploc XS size lidded food grade storage bowls from the supermarket. Put what you want into the bowl (I use a postage scale) 150-200 grams is about right IMO, smooth it out and compress it with the back of a wet spoon. It'll mold easily if it's the Tipo Morbido version and that's what I've gotten from Italian Barber in the past.

Other folks just take off a chunk now and then and rewrap the block and store it.

I keep my filled XS bowls in a beer/BBQ refrigerator in the shop that hovers near 32°F. But cool only means cool for the human body so the refrigerator isn't required.

Any questions get back to me here.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

the only solution i found for removing my neck whiskers was, get ready, PRESSURE! yes, i said it. the big no no :lol: i make sure i have a nice slick lather. next,raise my chin and with my free hand stretch the skin. i do an against the grain pass with reduced blade angle. the reduced blade angle is the key to survival. this step is only done after a wtg pass, a xtg pass done first. as long as you reduce the blade angle it will be a cinch!!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

When I started using a DE many years ago, I fussed about my neck and constantly made a mess of it. When I realized that I shouldn't worry about that area until I had my technique down pat first on the less complex part of my face.

So -- regarding the notorious neck area, my suggestion is to not focus on that area at all until you have 150% confidence in your technique overall. Then transfer that to your neck area and given some time, patience and practice, you will eventually find success there. The neck is indeed complex -- lots of angles with varying directions of whisker growth -- so don't be surprised if it feels like you are learning technique all over again once you have built confidence in your routine. The more you fuss and worry, the more you set yourself up for a less-than-enjoyable experience and result.

Just my thoughts --- ymmv.

On the P160 front -- the Tipo Morbido is indeed as good as everyone suggests. I am just about to pull the trigger on a block and will simply break it down into some lunch-sized zip-lock sandwich bags and store it in the downstairs fridge.

Keep at it, and be patient. It will come over time. Trust us -- we have all been there.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

gil3591 wrote:the only solution i found for removing my neck whiskers was, get ready, PRESSURE! yes, i said it. the big no no :lol: i make sure i have a nice slick lather. next,raise my chin and with my free hand stretch the skin. i do an against the grain pass with reduced blade angle. the reduced blade angle is the key to survival. this step is only done after a wtg pass, a xtg pass done first. as long as you reduce the blade angle it will be a cinch!!
thank you for the tip I might give this a whirl when I heal up lol
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

jww wrote:When I started using a DE many years ago, I fussed about my neck and constantly made a mess of it. When I realized that I shouldn't worry about that area until I had my technique down pat first on the less complex part of my face.

So -- regarding the notorious neck area, my suggestion is to not focus on that area at all until you have 150% confidence in your technique overall. Then transfer that to your neck area and given some time, patience and practice, you will eventually find success there. The neck is indeed complex -- lots of angles with varying directions of whisker growth -- so don't be surprised if it feels like you are learning technique all over again once you have built confidence in your routine. The more you fuss and worry, the more you set yourself up for a less-than-enjoyable experience and result.

Just my thoughts --- ymmv.

On the P160 front -- the Tipo Morbido is indeed as good as everyone suggests. I am just about to pull the trigger on a block and will simply break it down into some lunch-sized zip-lock sandwich bags and store it in the downstairs fridge.

Keep at it, and be patient. It will come over time. Trust us -- we have all been there.
thank you very much. I will keep at it. I love the ritual and the feel of my face afterwards everyday. The wife loves the smell and feel so its a win, win. Have you had any experience with the p160 cream from italianbarber.com? Thank you again!
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

ShadowsDad wrote:No one has tackled the P.160 1kg block breakdown. You have enough to think about with everything else so I'll tackle it.

First, you need to understand that P.160 is underpriced even for what it's selling for now. When it's gone, it's gone for good. That's it for the planet. So buy what you want. Keep it cool and in the dark and it'll last for years. It's one fantastic lather once you understand the product.

I break it down using Ziploc XS size lidded food grade storage bowls from the supermarket. Put what you want into the bowl (I use a postage scale) 150-200 grams is about right IMO, smooth it out and compress it with the back of a wet spoon. It'll mold easily if it's the Tipo Morbido version and that's what I've gotten from Italian Barber in the past.

Other folks just take off a chunk now and then and rewrap the block and store it.

I keep my filled XS bowls in a beer/BBQ refrigerator in the shop that hovers near 32°F. But cool only means cool for the human body so the refrigerator isn't required.

Any questions get back to me here.
Thank you very much, this sounds like something I can do. I even have a beer and bbq fridge my self in the work area in the garage lol. Sounds like I might as well buy 2 and store it, I imagine that would last a nice long while. Can you use the storage containers as a bowl as well? I wonder if there is any chance someone maybe italianbarber.com would manufacture this again down the line maybe under there name or something. It sounds like they do already have some similar products. Again thank you very much for the response, it has been most helpful.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes, use the bowl to load your brush. The weight that I suggested will give you room for loading w/o mess. The bowls aren't pretty, but they sure are effective, and they won't break the bank. I just bought 6 (one pack) for $3.45

I'm considering buying another kilo just to make sure I have enough also.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
bostonfin

Post by bostonfin »

ShadowsDad wrote:Yes, use the bowl to load your brush. The weight that I suggested will give you room for loading w/o mess. The bowls aren't pretty, but they sure are effective, and they won't break the bank. I just bought 6 (one pack) for $3.45

I'm considering buying another kilo just to make sure I have enough also.
thank you again for the tip! Looks like we might be a tad late though can't find it on the site anymore.