Tip for Removing Razor Blades from their Plastic Boxes--Doh!

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Zot!

Tip for Removing Razor Blades from their Plastic Boxes--Doh!

Post by Zot! »

I hadn't noticed something before regarding obtaining new blades from a plastic package such as Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum razor blades--and I have been DE shaving for quite a while. It is something that is probably common sense/knowledge and so I am going to post in this forum.

I used to think that you just removed the harder carboard (the yellow, black and red one with logo for the Feather) and then fished out the new blade on its own. However, if you don't remove the front cardboard piece, but just press down slightly and slide it partially out of the plastic container, one blade only will come out with the top cover. You simply pull the blade out on its own and slide the cardboard cover back inside the container. This works all the way to the last blade in the box.
Ron
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Now if only there was a trick to get NOS Gillette Bleu Extra blades from their plastic dispenser. :lol:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

blades from their plastic dispenser
the doodz that designed that should be put against a wall and shot, no blindfold, no last ciggie :lol: :lol: :lol: I have some fancy version of gillette blades (fake light brigades or whatevah) that i dont use not only because they arent as good as merkurs....but as decent as they are, fighting to get them out of the plastic sleeve isnt worth the hassle and in fact I think it spoils the entire shaving experience

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

m3m0ryleak wrote:Now if only there was a trick to get NOS Gillette Bleu Extra blades from their plastic dispenser. :lol:
Agreed. I pulled the case open, and use a very thin blade to ease the blade loose, then snap the case partly back together.

Can't abide the thought of not using every one of those blades.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

On a DE razor the center bar that is notched was made that way to hook the DE blade once you partially pushed it out of the plastic/steel holder, this was designed so the user never had to touch the blade. All holders work this way, even brands like Crystal IP's that have the blade wrapped in the plastic holder.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
harper

Post by harper »

Zot, thank you. This is really a useful thing to know. I have been shaving for about 65 years now and most of the time fiddled with getting DE blades out in various ways except when I was using cartridge razors (one of the reasons incidentally why cartridge razors have been successful with various mass shaving markets ...shavers do not like to handle DE blades) or sliding containers like some DE blades are packed in. And like you, I would take the cardboard out and then remove a blade and while it was not difficult to do, I always put the cardboard back and that was not always as easy as taking it out. This old dog has learned a new trick.