Regrowth problems on the neck

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
joov

Regrowth problems on the neck

Post by joov »

When I shave, everything is fine the first 24hrs, but then i get a lot of irritation on the neck. I get red bumps that for me this looks like ingrowns, and it feels like a thousand needles in my neck. This goes on for a short week, then everything is fine. My neck hair grows very much to the sides.
On the chin there is no problem whatsoever.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this?
I use a Braun 7-series shaver, but it's the same if i use a store bought razor (like a gilette mach whichever).
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

This is a wet shaving forum, so you should be prepared for responses which will downplay electric razors while extolling the virtues of shaving with a double-edge or straight razor. You have been warned.

:wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
joov

Post by joov »

Thank, i saw that one coming ;)
But i saw alot of know-how here, and it seems my problem is the same using razors.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey joov, welcome aboard. I suspect it is the electric razor causing the irritation as both the razor and the irritation seem to be constants in your pattern so let's change things up a bit.

You have to push an electric into your face to make it work and apparently your skin doesn't like that. Since the multiblade razor also causes irritation (other shavers experience that problem as well) lets try a simpler approach.

The single blade disposable razors are preset for angle and are easy to use. I didn't read where you have used a shaving brush or shaving cream/soap so you can start with a canned shaving gel or cream (both work) and concentrate on the basics, which is get your face wet, keep it wet, and shave slowly without any pressure on your skin. I know, that's counter intuitive as the instinct is to bear down and clear the whiskers off, but, as you've already learned, bearing down may well be the root of your problems.

As traditional shavers we tend to acquire more stuff than we need and experiment with razors, blades, and other shaving goods. You will probably do the same as you get into the hobby and that's not a negative because you will eventually work out a technique that will turn shaving into a pleasant experience rather than a chore.

Remember, wet shaving is a learned technique so take your time and let us know your step by step process. Just take your time, it is a physical process, and be mindful our first overhead tennis serve wasn't an ace either.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, no not really. Not all razors are created equally. Modern carts have more in common with a cheese grater than a razor.

The razors we discuss here don't cut the whiskers off below skin level. I'd get ingrowns with carts' too, especially if I went against the grain.

My answer is to change the way you shave (as I did) or just go with the grain and your cartridge. FWIW, I gave up on carts with 2 blade carts, I never even went to the ones that look like a door louvre.

Better shave products might help, but the first part of the solution is above. More than that I don't have.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Joov, get a can of gel or pressurized lather and a bag of the single blade disposables. Then use as little pressure as possible. It'll take a bit of practice, but keep in mind that many millions of guys like us use this practice every single day. It's the starting place in your departure from the electric razor that's causing your problem. Little or no pressure is necessary. That's what causes irritation and nicks. Take it easy and have fun with it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

+1 -- Bic Sensitives are about as face-friendly as you can get in terms of disposables. And they give excellent shaves to be honest. I always have 2 in my kit bag that I take whenever I fly without checked baggage -- they are excellent and very TSA friendly as well. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

The impression I get from the first post is that shaving is happening once a week. Is this a process of trimming down some longer stubble, then shaving, or am I misreading this and you're actually shaving daily? I also suffer from razor bumps/ingrown hairs. So, if it's once per week, I would suggest using an exfoliating face wash the day after shave. Be gentle with it and it will loosen up all the little points and you'll be just fine for the rest of the week. If you're shaving daily, I strongly agree with suggestions to try a single bladed razor of whatever sort. Thanks to my study of shaving, directly informed by this board, I can shave with a multi-blade, but only once or twice. If I use one regularly, the bumps and ingrowns occur regardless of technique. This does not occur with a single blade razor. I currently use double edge and have never been happier. Also, I would strongly suggest never shaving against the grain of growth. Shave with it, then across, but don't go against the grain. Take that advice if the rest of the advice doesn't help, or doesn't completely eliminate the problem.

Additionally, if you aren't using a brush and a real soap or cream, get on it. Especially with regular shaving, it takes the place of much of the reason for using other exfoliating products.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Consensus:

Buy a pack of single blade disposables. Prepare your beard with warm water and a mild soap (moisturizing if possible. I use a moisturizing baby shampoo). Use what ever shaving cream/soap you can find applying it liberally and (if you don't use a brush) rubbing it into the beard. Use the proper technique in that you use no pressure and allow the blade to do the work for you. This may take more than one pass (it's called beard reduction) because the object is to try and not whack it off all at once (causing bumps, ingrowns etc).

Take your time and concentrate on your technique.
Slow down.

Try this for a while and then experiment with other razors/blades/creams/soaps/brush combinations until you find a setup you like.

RELAX...

I hope I'm making sense. I haven't posted in a while and I've had several "DARK GERMAN BEERS TONIGHT" :D

AND AS ALWAYS...

ENJOY YOUR SHAVE...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
brothers

Re: Regrowth problems on the neck

Post by brothers »

joov's initial offering of two posts is a good start, and actually a reasonable question. I hope he hasn't bailed on us yet. I do smile when someone says "regrowth is a problem". :) Regrowth of whiskers is ... uh ... the reason we're here?? Then to see his regrowth becomes evident after 24 hours. Again, mmmm... yes, me too, and that's why I shave 24 hours after the last time I shaved. Yep, we cut 'em off every day! Cheers to you joov. You're on the same bandwagon as the rest of us, here at SMF. We cut 'em off, and tomorrow they're back. Joov, please keep posting, because we're here for each other, and for guys like you. Best regards!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

He's gone off to practice.
Regards,
Squire
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

My opinion of Braun single foil shavers. They are very gentle on skin, just I have not tried what electric monstrosities are sold by that brand today.
My PocketGo battery one is the gentle. Used for the times I am not feeling for the wet shave. It does not clean my slight neck hairs well. Maybe that is cause of the gentleness. And I need to have dry skin, so before the shower or half hour after that.

On my neck I especially I need to use a wet shave at least 2 times a week and as with the original poster it is my most sensitive area. A DE razor with not the sharpest blades like Feather for instance works the best for me. I would imagine a DE razor is better than a cartridge multiblade razor. It is winter time and the skin is the thinnest. You have to know your beard growth direction on the neck. First pass with the grain and second pass more like across or even against. But 2 passes on the neck is as far as I would go.
Jarmo