(Yet another) new shaver

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Fishin Phil wrote:Just remember, you've got a whole lifetime of shaving ahead of you. If it takes a while to get the equiptment you want, that's OK.

Good luck to you.
I try to take this attitude. I'm going to need to shave until I die, so why worry about being a poor high school student now? :P I'll have plenty of time for AS to kick in. I'm sure that before I know it I'll have way more stuff than I can ever use up. :roll:
jww wrote:You can even get started with a single-blad Bic sensitive disprosable -- my personal go-to TSA/CATSA friendly razor.
That's what I've been using for the last couple of years, except recently I have learned to lean toward the double blades, because I find that they do a better job and are more comfortable to hold and use. They are pretty fantastic, and I will probably continue to use them when traveling, while I am learning (read: to afraid to shave lest I cut myself yet AGAIN), and what I will use in a hurry. I'm taking somewhat of a relaxed attitude toward straights; it's a skill I want to have, and something that is really better to do, but if it takes a little bit to get everything together, and then to the point where I can not cut myself every time, than it takes a little while. I'd also like to learn to shave other peoples' faces, but that will come in time. I'd be interested to know, though, if that takes a different kind of skill/finesse than shaving oneself. :?:
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Icarus, have you seen this? http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51534

It has your name written all over it!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ShadowsDad wrote:Icarus, have you seen this? http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51534

It has your name written all over it!
I was thinking the exact same thing. Must be the Maine air. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JRTASTER

Re: (Yet another) new shaver

Post by JRTASTER »

Icarus,

Nearly six months in...how's it been going???

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know what specific help you may still need!

All the best,

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Thanks for checking in, John.

I've been really busy with school, so I haven't had time to post much, although I have been lurking here and there. I've had a lot of assignments and music to learn, and so it's been difficult to keep up with my web surfing. :P

I've still been shaving with my straight. It's beginning to need a sharpen, so fairly soon I will either have to send it to Larry at WhippedDog or acquire my own barber hone (or better yet, Norton sharpening kit), buckle down, and learn to use it. Given my relatively small amount of fungibles and the apparent difficulty of finding a steady summer job in Smalltown, VA, it's looking like I may have to send it to Larry this time and ask for a hone for my birthday. *shrug* In any case, I have a bit to think about that, although recommendations are always welcome.

Thanks again for checking on me and I hope you guys are each doing well.
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Welcome to SM, Icarus
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Hang in there, Icarus!

School is always a pain, but wait...a job even less fun awaits you!

Regards,

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I see this thread is six months old. Sadly the straight razor replica the OP bought will never shave. I hope he has bought a functional razor of some sort since, and if not, I hope he says so here as we all could help out in that department!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

drmoss_ca wrote:I see this thread is six months old. Sadly the straight razor replica the OP bought will never shave. I hope he has bought a functional razor of some sort since, and if not, I hope he says so here as we all could help out in that department!

Chris
Chris,

I think it would be a great idea if some of us here at SMF could help Icarus out. I am willing to start by offering a '62 Gillette Slim Adjustable H1. some various DE blade left over from a sampler pack, a 5 pack of Gillette 7 oclock sharp edge blades and a puck of Williams Mug Shaving Soap. Can we get some other guys to help with a brush and a few other necessities for this cash strapped young man.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Bryce, Coltrane is dedicated to learning to shave with a straight razor. Last I checked with him, he wasn't at all interested in DE.

He managed to buy a used straight razor that is serviceable but with some issues. He could probably use a better straight razor, though, if someone had an extra.
He has a good brush and soap.

He is an impressive and very well rounded young man.

- Murray
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Murray,

Thanks for getting me straight on the straight razor thingy. Must be brain overload with this new forum format that caused me to miss that fact! :D

I wish him the best of luck getting used to straight razor shaving.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
celar36

Post by celar36 »

He is lucky he can use Straight, I always wanted to try but I have two issues:

1. My wife will be furious around straight razor close to my face. Women ehh? :)
2. I am left handed due right side body disability. I still can do most stuff and een nobody will notice my disability but I have problem to stretch skin on my face with right hand.

Back to topic. Icarus do not worry, school is fun as much is stressing you just need to embrace the social experience. Please update us as much as you can and let us know what you using currently and what you need.
Jack
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I may be interested in using a DE in the future, but for right now, I have the luxury of having the time to use a straight.
drmoss_ca wrote:I see this thread is six months old. Sadly the straight razor replica the OP bought will never shave. I hope he has bought a functional razor of some sort since, and if not, I hope he says so here as we all could help out in that department!

Chris
Chris,

The moment I opened the box I could tell that the replica wouldn't shave. It's more of a knife than a razor (no contour), and anyhow, I really only purchased it to be a replica (for its price, it's very high quality). Using it to shave was really just wishful thinking.

I do have a straight from WhippedDog, and it is very good at its job. I haven't had the opportunity to get more, but eventually I would like to try some other straights (different designs, scales, etc.) to see what works best with my face.
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
soapbuddy

Post by soapbuddy »

A belated welcome from another leftie.
Irena
Handmade Soap Artisan
http:www.gingersgarden.com
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Icarus, if you've gotten straight technique down, you'll be able to transition to DE shaving very, very easily (which isn't to say you can just lather up and have at it - there's more to it than that, of course).
Regards,
Mike