(Yet another) new shaver

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Icarus1

(Yet another) new shaver

Post by Icarus1 »

Hello all!

New to the site. I am a sixteen year old living in the US who has lately become interested in shaving the old fashioned way. I got a (cheap) beautiful razor through knife-depot, but I get the feeling that it may be more decorative than shave quality. We will see.

The real issue is that I don't have any of the other necessary materials (strop, whetstone, bowl, brush, or soap), and as a high school student, I am on a fairly limited budget. You guys have been doing this for years, so I imagine that you have a lot of advice to give. That, and any other tips for first timers would be appreciated. I don't have much to shave yet, but I'm looking forward to learning to shave myself and others.

Thanks, guys!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum!

Good for you that you aren't even thinking about cartridges or an electric. Of course most of us are prejudiced to DE (double edge), SE (single edge), and straight razors. Some here do use carts though. Good for you for blade shaving because you'll have nothing to unlearn.

Where you should begin is by just reading; especially in this section.

You don't need expensive gear to get a great shave and the expense can be less than by other means if you don't get the dreaded Acquisition Disorder (AD).

Check out beginner sets from Italian Barber and Bullgoose.

Be sure to ask us before buying more stuff.

OK, there's an elephant in the room... what razor did you buy? I ask because some are better for a noob to survive their first shave with and learn with and there are others that can carve you up like a roast.

I was going to give you a list of items you'll need, but read first and check out the sets. In addition to what's in the shave set, you should probably also have a blade sampler.

Too, I'm trying to think of what I have that I can send to you to get you started. Not much I'm afraid, I've already sent most if not all of it out already.

Anyway, that's enough for now. Read, read, read and come back and ask questions. Or read some more and find the answers.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF, Icarus1.

It's a particular boost to our collective egos when a new fresh shaver enters the foray ---- mainly because we can wield all sorts of our aged influence on them ..... :wink:

Come often, ask lots of questions and you'll get more than your money's worth of answers. 8)

Do a search on the forum and you'll find plenty of advice. Starting out with a straight razor is a brave thing -- not that it's a bad thing, simply a brave thing. I still have yet to get my one and only straight honed and shave ready to give it a go -- and I picked it up over a year ago in an antique store for a song.

I'd agree with the notion of looking at a kit from one of the on-line merchants we frequent. In terms of soap, while I am a massive advocate of Mitchell's Woolfat (MWF or "the Fat" as we affectionately label it here), some people have difficulty learning how to best use it. I personally am a fan of DR Harris soaps -- and have never had any issues getting up a good lather no matter what the water conditions (you'll learn eventually about hard and soft water and how it can affect a shave). Insofar as a brush goes, one of the best values in a badger brush is the C&E best badger -- they are had for around $50 as I recall (and sometimes you can get them during the C&E semi-annual 20% off sale) and are as good as it gets in terms of a readily available badger. If you want to try boar, I am a fan of Semogue brushes, but you can pick up an Omega at many pharmacies for around $10. But don't take my advice on equipment -- I am sure plenty will chime in.

For now, best of luck -- and enjoy the journey.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Thanks for the welcomes, all.

Shadows, I am embarrassed to admit that I bought the Sweeney Todd replica razor from www.knife-depot.com. At the time of the purchase, I wasn't interested in using it to shave; only in having the paraphrenalia. However, now I have it. It is quite beautiful, but not what I would want my first razor to be. It's a bit of a cleaver, as well. Stainless steal blade with an aluminum die-cast handle. I'll put the link at the bottom of this post.

And that isn't to say that I don't already shave; I do. I use disposable twin blade BIC razors, which, while they are not fancy or particularly good, get the job done for me. I imagine that this is what I will continue to use when rushed for time in the mornings on school days.

I will check out that equipment you all mentioned, and you can be sure that I will be back with plenty of questions. :shock:

jww— From what I've read about the community, everybody seems to have brands that they preferred over others. If I wasn't prepared to have people prejudice me, I'd still be lurking. :o

Thanks for the responses; product recommendations and tips are always welcome.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-344408 ... MLThUGFA==
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Welcome,

What I can say:)

You should buy:

-Brush Boar or Badger. It will cost you around 20-30$
-Cream/Soap. Start C.O Bigelow. Preferred for me Mitchell's Wool Fat and Dr. Harris one but they are bit more expensive.

Extras you can buy but you dont need to:

After shave Balm( to fight skin irritation)
Glycerine Soap (Pre shave )

Do you want use Double Egde(DE), Straight or Single Edge?

IMHO you should start with vintage Gillette Tech's with are mild and cheap too buy for beginning:)

Or in Single Edge GEM Featherweight same apply as above:)

Straight somebody else should chip in about it :)

Useful info:
jww wrote:Jack -- about your setting on the adjustable - you may want to move it back to about a 3 or perhaps even a 2.

Perhaps you may want to consider an investment in a Gillette vintage Tech -- pretty much the least aggressive of any DE razor that I have ever used. Another option would be to pick up some Bic sensitive single blade disposables. They are excellent for learning technique, and are quite forgiving in the process. I keep a stash that I take with me when I travel by plane for work when I need to carry all my baggage on with me allowing me to avoid baggage claim lineups and getting to the taxi or rental car queue more quickly.

Regarding technique -- figuring out blade angle can be a tad difficult at first. Here is what I did based on the many suggestions from others in the know many years ago.

Assuming a downward stroke (we usually refer to is as north to south -- i.e from the top of your face towards the bottom).
1. Start with the top of the razor head flat against your face, holding the razor with your elbow away from you. The razor handle is parallel to the floor, as is your forearm.
2. Thinking of the razor as an extension to your forearm, slowly, ever so slowly, let the razor handle end drop in the direction of the downward stroke while lowering your arm at the shoulder ever so slightly and while keeping your arm and razor in a single strait line.
3. As soon as you hear the little pings of the whiskers being cut, stop dropping your arm and keep that angle as you finish the stroke. If you go too far, you will feel a pull or scraping sensation on your skin.
4. Use your wrist to make micro adjustments to angle to keep the pings consistent.

Now -- use the same technique whenever you change stroke direction by tilting the razor handle in the direction of the stroke and adjusting your arm angle accordingly.

That's how I conquered blade angle.

For pressure it was much simpler for me. If I felt the blade on my face, then there was way too much pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work of the cutting rather than placing pressure on your face. The thing I try to focus on is sensing the razor head and not the blade. This isn't particularly fool-proof, but it helped me tremendously when I moved from a cartridge to a DE razor.

I suppose what I am saying is that I find that it's all about controlling the razor rather than shaving with it like you see on those commercials advertising cartridge shaving with lightening speed. As so imminently put so many times on this forum -- it's your face not a race (thanks to Oscar for that one -- think it's my favourite tag line on SMF).

Insofar as products are concerned, I would agree with Squire that as a beginner you would probably be well served if you kept the mix very simple at first. Stick with a single soap or cream, one brush, and basic aftershave balm. I personally am a skin food user - that, some witch hazel and The Body Shop Razor Relief have been my post-shave staples over years. Simple, basic and they work. Period. I guess compared to Squire, though, I am a heavy user of post-shave product. ymmv

My apologies for my lengthy posts as most of the long-term members have already seen these types of responses from me over the years. I am in a writing mood today. :wink:
from http://shavemyface.com/forum/posting.ph ... e&p=595138

I will leave rest for other members:)
Jack
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

celar36 wrote:Welcome,

What I can say:)

You should buy:

-Brush Boar or Badger. It will cost you around 20-30$
-Cream/Soap. Start C.O Bigelow. Preferred for me Mitchell's Wool Fat and Dr. Harris one but they are bit more expensive.

Extras you can buy but you dont need to:

After shave Balm( to fight skin irritation)
Glycerine Soap (Pre shave )

Do you want use Double Egde(DE), Straight or Single Edge?

IMHO you should start with vintage Gillette Tech's with are mild and cheap too buy for beginning:)

Or in Single Edge GEM Featherweight same apply as above:)

Straight somebody else should chip in about it :)

Useful info:
jww wrote:Jack -- about your setting on the adjustable - you may want to move it back to about a 3 or perhaps even a 2.

Perhaps you may want to consider an investment in a Gillette vintage Tech -- pretty much the least aggressive of any DE razor that I have ever used. Another option would be to pick up some Bic sensitive single blade disposables. They are excellent for learning technique, and are quite forgiving in the process. I keep a stash that I take with me when I travel by plane for work when I need to carry all my baggage on with me allowing me to avoid baggage claim lineups and getting to the taxi or rental car queue more quickly.

Regarding technique -- figuring out blade angle can be a tad difficult at first. Here is what I did based on the many suggestions from others in the know many years ago.

Assuming a downward stroke (we usually refer to is as north to south -- i.e from the top of your face towards the bottom).
1. Start with the top of the razor head flat against your face, holding the razor with your elbow away from you. The razor handle is parallel to the floor, as is your forearm.
2. Thinking of the razor as an extension to your forearm, slowly, ever so slowly, let the razor handle end drop in the direction of the downward stroke while lowering your arm at the shoulder ever so slightly and while keeping your arm and razor in a single strait line.
3. As soon as you hear the little pings of the whiskers being cut, stop dropping your arm and keep that angle as you finish the stroke. If you go too far, you will feel a pull or scraping sensation on your skin.
4. Use your wrist to make micro adjustments to angle to keep the pings consistent.

Now -- use the same technique whenever you change stroke direction by tilting the razor handle in the direction of the stroke and adjusting your arm angle accordingly.

That's how I conquered blade angle.

For pressure it was much simpler for me. If I felt the blade on my face, then there was way too much pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work of the cutting rather than placing pressure on your face. The thing I try to focus on is sensing the razor head and not the blade. This isn't particularly fool-proof, but it helped me tremendously when I moved from a cartridge to a DE razor.

I suppose what I am saying is that I find that it's all about controlling the razor rather than shaving with it like you see on those commercials advertising cartridge shaving with lightening speed. As so imminently put so many times on this forum -- it's your face not a race (thanks to Oscar for that one -- think it's my favourite tag line on SMF).

Insofar as products are concerned, I would agree with Squire that as a beginner you would probably be well served if you kept the mix very simple at first. Stick with a single soap or cream, one brush, and basic aftershave balm. I personally am a skin food user - that, some witch hazel and The Body Shop Razor Relief have been my post-shave staples over years. Simple, basic and they work. Period. I guess compared to Squire, though, I am a heavy user of post-shave product. ymmv

My apologies for my lengthy posts as most of the long-term members have already seen these types of responses from me over the years. I am in a writing mood today. :wink:
from http://shavemyface.com/forum/posting.ph ... e&p=595138

I will leave rest for other members:)
Thanks, cellar. I am specifically looking to learn to shave with straights, but I'll check out the soaps.
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Welcome to SMF Icarus1.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi! 8) It's all here, and more. Just read and ask questions. Keep in mind that what one finds to his liking might not work for the next one. Make up your mind, get what you think you might want to try, and keep your mind open. It's a journey.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Welcome aboard, Icarus1.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Welcome aboard young man. Great group of guys here. I'm pretty new myself to this form of shaving so I'll let the people who really know tell you more.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to our little community, Icarus1!

It's always a pleasure and an encouragement to see young men picking up the traditional wetshave.

- Murray
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

My first response was "Holy cow, someone younger than me!" But that doesn't mean you get to lump me in with the rest of the old fogeys here 8)

My second response, as I dodge the well-justified flames of members wiser than me by many factors (and, perhaps, just a few years), is to say welcome. Come often and stay long. SMF is a place to laugh, cry, and empathize in so many ways. The Gentleman's Parlor is one of my prime stops on the Internet. You'll learn that the men here are, to a man, upstanding fellas that are a real joy to interact with. I have no doubt that were I to walk into a room and meet all of them I would be better for the experience.

A few keywords for your entry into the traditional wetshaving world: SLOW (that's not an acronym - take your time in all things or expect horrible results), and Your Mileage May Vary (shortened to YMMV 'round here). One man's joy in shaving is another man's nightmare, so don't be afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended) and enjoy whatever works for you.

You could, and I suspect will, spend hours here trying to figure out just what the hell it all means. None of us really know, but this is a great place to nerd out and really dive in to the wonders of traditional wetshaving. WELCOME!

Edit: I checked out your link. I don't use a straight razor myself - I stick to DE or safety razors - but even I would recommend the Sweeney Todd razor remain a piece of display memorabilia. You may end up as a too-realistic piece of Demon Barber memorabilia yourself if you try to use it :shock:
Regards,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

maskaggs wrote:... that doesn't mean you get to lump me in with the rest of the old fogeys here ...
Now just a dog-gone minute there yung-un!

Wendell

maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

jww wrote:
maskaggs wrote:... that doesn't mean you get to lump me in with the rest of the old fogeys here ...
Now just a dog-gone minute there yung-un!

:D
Regards,
Mike
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

maskaggs wrote:My first response was "Holy cow, someone younger than me!" But that doesn't mean you get to lump me in with the rest of the old fogeys here 8)

My second response, as I dodge the well-justified flames of members wiser than me by many factors (and, perhaps, just a few years), is to say welcome. Come often and stay long. SMF is a place to laugh, cry, and empathize in so many ways. The Gentleman's Parlor is one of my prime stops on the Internet. You'll learn that the men here are, to a man, upstanding fellas that are a real joy to interact with. I have no doubt that were I to walk into a room and meet all of them I would be better for the experience.

A few keywords for your entry into the traditional wetshaving world: SLOW (that's not an acronym - take your time in all things or expect horrible results), and Your Mileage May Vary (shortened to YMMV 'round here). One man's joy in shaving is another man's nightmare, so don't be afraid to go against the grain (no pun intended) and enjoy whatever works for you.

You could, and I suspect will, spend hours here trying to figure out just what the hell it all means. None of us really know, but this is a great place to nerd out and really dive in to the wonders of traditional wetshaving. WELCOME!

Edit: I checked out your link. I don't use a straight razor myself - I stick to DE or safety razors - but even I would recommend the Sweeney Todd razor remain a piece of display memorabilia. You may end up as a too-realistic piece of Demon Barber memorabilia yourself if you try to use it :shock:
Thank you, sir!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hows the shaving going Icarus?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Unfortunately, it's not. I'm still gathering supplies, and I'm going to need a different razor. Being a broke high school student whose birthday isn't until July, this will take some time. I'm DJing a dance for the middle schoolers on Friday though, so I'll have some monies after that; at least, enough for a strop and stone probably.
Fishin Phil

Post by Fishin Phil »

Just remember, you've got a whole lifetime of shaving ahead of you. If it takes a while to get the equiptment you want, that's OK.

Good luck to you.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You can even get started with a single-blad Bic sensitive disprosable -- my personal go-to TSA/CATSA friendly razor.
Wendell