Cappillary Action

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Icarus1

Cappillary Action

Post by Icarus1 »

My friends,

I have read a lot of discussion on the Internet about why I HAVE to have a brush stand, and an equal amount about why cappillary action dries the brush on the handle. What has been your experience? Am I damaging my brush by letting it dry on the handle rather than in a stand?
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The short answer is no. The longer answer is you aren't damaging anything by drying the brush hair pointing up, in fact it dries faster that way. One caveat to watch for below.

A gent on another forum recently did a drying test with bristles down in a stand or bristles up. The short story is that brushes dry faster bristles up, that is, standing on the handle.

Just be sure the brush is "flicked off", and I sort of "paint" the brush on my towel to allow it to pull as much water out of the bristles as possible. If your brush has a sort of cup that would trap the water in the handle it might harm it, that's why the best effort to remove as much water as possible before unending it.

Here's the link to the test. http://shavenook.com/thread-quick-test- ... drip-stand

BTW, he calls it bottom up or bottom down or some such.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Coltrane and Brian -

This has been discussed here, as well, though it has been awhile. Our own Dr Chris Moss pointed out that capillary action clearly trumps gravity in this case. Indeed, the only advantage to a stand would be if you store your brush while it is literally dripping wet.

It has always made more sense to me, intuitively, that evaporation is better promoted with the brushhead pointing upwards. Past tests I have seen were inconclusive in terms of any clear advantage either way. I don't think you will harm your brush by using a stand or not. Interestingly, one poster on the thread linked by Brian noted that when he hung his brushes on a stand they seemed to get a little sour. When he sat them on their bases, facing upward, the problem resolved itself.

I have always stored my brushes brushhead-up, and they have always dried very effectively.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:I have always stored my brushes brushhead-up, and they have always dried very effectively.

- Murray
Yes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

All right, well, thanks guys. This answers my question. :D
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I do try to rinse them as thoroughly as I can, and then towel them off properly before putting them on the counter to dry.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:I do try to rinse them as thoroughly as I can, and then towel them off properly before putting them on the counter to dry.
Yes. :D
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

As long as the dear wife doesn't object to the clutter around the sink. My brushes only get used once in a while and I just leave one I want to use next time on the hanger that came with one I got years ago. It used stickey tape to mount to the wall by the sink.
Ouchmychin (Pete)