Hi All

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Mike D

Hi All

Post by Mike D »

Hi All,

I started making soap as a hobby (actually out of boredom one evening) and it kept on going. Not to long ago I was asked to make shaving soap. Up to that point I just shaved with the bath soap I made. This has changed.

So now I am in pursuit of the Überlather.

After about 60+ different shaving soap mixtures I have an idea of what fatty acid ratio in the oil mixture controls the properties of the lather. So now it is down to the adjustment of things like getting it to load on the brush in the quickest time possible and reducing the lathering time.

Onward…
Mike
In pursuit of the Überlather

http://www.mr-naturkosmetik.de
SRD

Re: Hi All

Post by SRD »

Welcome to the gang Mike.
Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello Mike! Thanks for joining us at SMF. We look forward to your participation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Welcome to SMF Mike; glad to see you.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

welcome to smf

if you havent seen the thread already, this might be of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51901

as far as
reducing the lathering time
goes, you can count me out. One of the joys of wet shaving is avoiding the rush :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Welcome aboard. Come often and stay long.

I'm inclined to agree with Clive...

Part of the fun "IS" the lathering. I enjoy taking my time doing it.

I think you will like it here, so enjoy and please participate in the conversations. There is a lot of expertise around here.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome.

Dittos to the crew that doesn't care about the time it takes to lather, etc. . I think there are far more important things to consider and I'd hate to see those qualities sacrificed for speed and ease. That's what got us cartridges. But it's your soap, so go for it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's a slight mis-communication. If anybody loves taking time to make lather, they should grab a puck of the Musgo Real "shaving soap". You'll quickly (after about 20-30-40 minutes TRYING to make a lather) understand what Mike's talking about, and I thoroughly agree with Mike. Nobody in their right mind wants a soap that will NOT make a lather no matter how long you try. All of the good lathering soaps burst into lather quite readily. Then when the easy and quick lather's started, then we can take all the time we want while we enjoy "building it". Two different things, I promise you! I know exactly what you're talking about Mike. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Welcome aboard SMF Mike!
Cheers,

Craig
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

A soap-maker, eh? Welcome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Mike,

Welcome and enjoy your SMF experience.

The soap-makers here have compiled an impressive track record, to which we hope you will add!

jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Thanks Fellows.

For the lathering time, I do 150 "swirls" on the soap puck to load the brush. I picked this number from wathcing a Youtube video about how to build lather...I counted what the fellow on the video did and have been using it as a standard since then.

I hope to be making a video of the results in the near future.
In pursuit of the Überlather

http://www.mr-naturkosmetik.de
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

Welcome to the crew, Mike.
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Mike. Welcome!!! Enjoy the interaction with this sophisticated group of gentlemen.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mike D wrote:...

For the lathering time, I do 150 "swirls" on the soap puck to load the brush. ...

I hope to be making a video of the results in the near future.
Really -- you count 150 swirls??? We do advertise that ymmv with all things shaving.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Mike! This is certainly an opportune time for another knowledgeable soapmaker to join our ranks.

- Murray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Mike D wrote:Thanks Fellows.

For the lathering time, I do 150 "swirls" on the soap puck to load the brush. I picked this number from wathcing a Youtube video about how to build lather...I counted what the fellow on the video did and have been using it as a standard since then.
Oh my. I'm not sure how hard your water is, but that is A LOT of soap. You can do what you like of course, but - well, I'm a "swirl counter" as well, just out of habit, and for me 35 is definitely excessive and 10 is not out of the question, usually somewhere between those. I do have a stiff brush and soft water, but I don't do any tricks of wetting the soap or anything like that. I use a little comfortable light pressure on the brush, but certainly not "mashing" it or anything. So, umm, - maybe try a little less and see how you make out. One way to figure it out: Start with a damp brush with minimum water in it, do 10 swirls on the soap, and lather it up. Add a tiny bit of water if it seems necessary. Find out what you get from that. With your water there and your brush, it might be paltry inadequate lather - but I bet you'd find out that using double or triple what I use is sufficient, and may even shave you better, rather than using 15 times as much as I do.