Need help finding a good hone

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Icarus1

Need help finding a good hone

Post by Icarus1 »

All right, the time has finally come for me to purchase a whetstone. I have been warned off the Norton 4000/8000 due to inconsistent quality, and have been shopping around at a couple of different places. I have a few ideas, but was wondering if you all had any input.

Option #1 from Japan Woodworker is a 1200/8000 combination whetstone for about $75: http://bit.ly/15v2jhu
My only concern with this is that (correct me if I am wrong) the 1200 side would likely be far too coarse to do much but repairs on a straight.

Option #2 from Garret Wade is a 1000/6000 combo whetstone for ~$40: http://bit.ly/15v2Os1
The 6000 might be a good compromise? Also, it's cheap.

Option #3 from Japan Woodworker again is an 8000 grit diamond stone for ~$90: http://bit.ly/10LNw0h
This looks like a great choice in terms of reliability, but it's expensive and only one grit.

So, I am in need of some advice, clearly. Any comments you can offer would be great, whether to affirm one of my choices or to point me in a different direction entirely. Thanks so much!
—Coltrane

Ceci n'est pas une rasoir.
RonCall

Re: Need help finding a good hone

Post by RonCall »

Entirely different but I got my best results from coticules, you can find more information on how to use those here: http://www.coticule.be/straight-razor-honing.html

I found them easy to use and especially the fact that I only needed one stone to do my sharpening. I'm sure others will give you advice on the other combo's you where talking about
“I’m just a spiritual being having a human experience”
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

RonCall wrote:Entirely different but I got my best results from coticules, you can find more information on how to use those here: http://www.coticule.be/straight-razor-honing.html

I found them easy to use and especially the fact that I only needed one stone to do my sharpening. I'm sure others will give you advice on the other combo's you where talking about
While I really appreciate the suggestion, that looks like a lot of trouble for something that I need with some immediacy. Perhaps after I have acquired a few stones and some honing expertise, I can look into getting one of those. They look really cool and beautiful, it's just not quite what I'm in the market for as a still-fairly-new straight user. Thanks a ton for the response, though.

If anyone else is following, I'm very strongly considering the 8000 grit diamond. Still open to advice and comments. (i.e. BUMP)
—Coltrane

Zot!

Post by Zot! »

No matter what hone is mentioned, someone will have had a negative experience. Stick with the Norton 4k/8k.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

There is wisdom in Ron's advice. Part of the mystique about SR maintenance is that there doesn't seem to be a "one size fits all" solution. Many guys start with the 4/8 Norton stone. I did, and in time, moved on to other stones, but I still have the Norton just in case. One needs to hone the razors regularly and this is where the all-important muscle memory and experience are formed. You've got to start somewhere, and the Norton is as good a starting point as any. You've got to keep your hone flat, so you'll need something to lap it with. Norton also makes one of these. It's all part of the SR experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
owenm

Post by owenm »

Icarus1 wrote: Still open to advice and comments. (i.e. BUMP)
I've been happy enough with a Spyderco Fine and Ultrafine for maintenance sharpening. I use a 1200 DMT EF if I need to remove a chip. I haven't played the field much though as others have.
Cheers,
Owen
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Horses for courses. I do find some razors seem to get on better with one set of hones rather than another. It might be my ineptitude, but if I run into a problem a switch to another kind of hone seems to break the impasse. I haven't found natural stones as easy to use as ceramics, but seem to do OK with Naniwas, Nortons, Spydercos and Shaptons. I like the Shapton Pros the best, but their glass stones have the same ceramics in thinner layers and are cheaper. Whichever you use, the most important thing is to set a good bevel on a dull razor. Nothing works without this, and once it's done the rest is easy. I usually use a 2k diamond on steel plate for this (forget the brand) and then stick to one set of hones progressively getting finer and doing more passes as I move to finer grits. SS razors often get some paste at the end.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Icarus1

Post by Icarus1 »

All right, thank you all for your responses. I think I'll go with the Norton set and then as I need more sharpening, I can experiment with some other stones. My paralyzing fear of Purchaser's Remorse notwithstanding, I'm sure that the Norton will do fine for what I'm working with.

Thanks again, you guys.
—Coltrane