HOW ABOUT THAT JAWLINE??? TRADE SECRETS???

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
JRTASTER

HOW ABOUT THAT JAWLINE??? TRADE SECRETS???

Post by JRTASTER »

Have seen others comment, especially in the SOTD forum, about troubles getting the jawline DFS or better.

My problem area extends from roughly below the ear to just past the midway point between the ear and chin.

I go WTG, ATG, and XTG and even engage in a bit of blade buffing but consistently get my worst shave results in that
trouble-zone. Skin-stretching helps a bit, but not a bunch. Really pushing it has rarely resulted in the stray razor bump.

My razor/blade combo for the past 4-6 weeks has been almost exclusively a Cobra Classic with a Kai blade. But the
problem area existed before I moved to the Cobra. Changes in the brush or soap used don't appear to matter much AND
my shaves are otherwise pretty terrific!

I shower AFTER shaving (sorry, won't change that) and don't feel those rough spots along the jawline til I'm
washing/rinsing my face in the shower itself. I rinse my face thoroughly at the sink, of course, but the rough spots often
aren't discernible then.

If someone has some technique hints or other suggestions to offer, it would be great. If not, I may have to resign myself to
DFS or BBS shaves, but with an asterisk for the jawline.

Thanks,
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: HOW ABOUT THAT JAWLINE??? TRADE SECRETS???

Post by bernards66 »

John, It sounds like you're doing all the right stuff and that razor is plenty effective and that style is generally very good for getting in tight places, switching up stroke angle etc. So, it may be 'just one of those things'. You might try getting a good shave stick and rubbing it on the problem area against the grain...no lather just a dampened shave stick right on the skin, and then blade buff.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

john, gordons advice is a very good idea.

if that does not help, first I would suggest skipping a day of shaving, to let your stubble grow in more than usual. at the problem area study the grain pattern closely. that area of your beard may change direction of growth compared to the rest of your beard. now shave as normal, having the extra growth may give you the closeness you want. if not, try shaving at slightly different angles for a three passes.

its just a matter of finding some way to get results, hopefully you'll find it quickly. I doubt its you gear and/or soap etc. just a small change in technique, like blade angle is the answer.

marc
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon and Marc,
Thanks for the good advice. I added DR Harris Lavender shave Stick, already in the my travel kit
arsenal, as a touch up along the jawline after my second pass and voila, it really helped. I remember
that Charles at QED used to-and may still-recommend his shave sticks for "touch-ups," but it never
really registered...til now!
I have no explanation why this little device works when a top notch soap is already used, but it surely
does!
jr/John
jr/John
btafan

Post by btafan »

Wait, you shave before showering? Why? I'm new to wetshaving but I'm miserable without a good shower beforehand. What kind of prep do you use?
-Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Can't speak for John but while we're on the subject . . . I usually shave after a shower but that's just the way the pattern has developed. I could just as easily shave before a shower with the same results because my technique, refined over years, is sufficiently developed that I don't need much prep beyond washing my face with soap and water.
Regards,
Squire
btafan

Post by btafan »

Squire wrote: I could just as easily shave before a shower with the same results because my technique, refined over years, is sufficiently developed that I don't need much prep beyond washing my face with soap and water.
Obviously I'm still getting shavedumacation, but I'm guessing the key is the wash with hot water? Or does the soap play a significant role in softening the hair?
-Andy
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I've found that not washing away all the skin oils, combined with using a quality lather, makes for a better shave.
Ed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

[/quote] Obviously I'm still getting shavedumacation, but I'm guessing the key is the wash with hot water? Or does the soap play a significant role in softening the hair?[/quote]

I don't think the temperature matters. Some years back we had quite a discussion here (Gordon would remember) about shaving with cool or cold water and some members actually got a better shave that way. I use hot water, soap and warm lather but I don't think the temperature matters much one way or the other.

For me technique is what counts most. I can get a good, irritation free shave with just water and a razor. I don't, well, because being a good shave geek I want to use stuff, but I can. Technique first, everything else follows.
Regards,
Squire
btafan

Post by btafan »

Squire wrote:I don't think the temperature matters. Some years back we had quite a discussion here (Gordon would remember) about shaving with cool or cold water and some members actually got a better shave that way. I use hot water, soap and warm lather but I don't think the temperature matters much one way or the other.
For me technique is what counts most. I can get a good, irritation free shave with just water and a razor. I don't, well, because being a good shave geek I want to use stuff, but I can. Technique first, everything else follows.
Man, my guesses keep getting worse and worse. Maybe I was basing them on my own previous routine of getting a reasonable shave by using disposables in the shower with only the hot running water continually on my face. It took lots of strokes in addition to using lots of shower water, so I'm definitely enjoying shaving now and looking forward to learning some of that unstoppable technique
-Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You can get a decent shave using disposables in the shower, it's just not near as much fun.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

well, both in nj and here on cape cod we have a septic tank and running tons of water.isn't helpful so shower shaving isn't practical .(yes, I know I can stop the water whenever, but...)
and if you step out of the shower and dry down a bit, don't your pores begin to close almost immediately?

my routine started early when I found leaving even the slightest trace of shave on my face left me dry and irritated all day long.
only a nice warm shower after gets every trace of the soap off. and frankly i'm not so sure having my pore
open immediately after the shave isn't a bad idea! I know that runs contrary to the mainstream thinking here, but ingrown
and bumps were dramatically lessened when I started my routine 55 yrs ago.

as to hot vs cold, many field shaves out of a steel army helmet convinced me the warm lather shave certainly feels
better but the closeness of the shave wasn't much different. just one humble experience...m y face did suffer from vestiges
of soap residue but water temp wasn't an issue.

for guys who apply a pre-shave oil, which I can't work through, supposedly some oil on the face is thought to be beneficial. but not for me!

anyway, this topic seems resurrected and hope others will join in with more input!

jr/John
p.s. when in army barracks, as opposed to in the field, shaving before or after showering was often a choice based on how many sinks
and shower spots were available1 so yes, I did both!
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The vivid recollection I have of shaving in the field out of a steel pot is wishing I could also take a shower.
Regards,
Squire
btafan

Post by btafan »

Well I'll be darned: I attempted to shave with no shower and just good face lathering and the shave was quite comparable to my normal post-shower shaves. Thanks guys, now I'm not chained to the shower and can focus on good technique instead of wondering if I got a good enough shower.
-Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Don't forget to shower man, it's one of God's most beneficial uses of water.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I know there must be a lot of people who associate showering and shaving automatically, because they usually coincide. As for me, I seem to have much better experiences by separating those processes. To me, it would be pretty much of an additional hassle trying to do both simultaneously, or at least tied very closely together so that one operation wouldn't be feasible without the other immediately before or after. Stated simply, it's just a habit that might be hard to break.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Squire wrote:The vivid recollection I have of shaving in the field out of a steel pot is wishing I could also take a shower.
Squire,
God, yes! Those field baths were just awful! the only small consolation is that you didn't smell any worse than the next guy!
The irony was my MOS was "bandsman." but my unit was attached to an armored division, often in field maneuvers.
Each day we were bussed from the field to our rehearsal barracks for 6-8 hours of practice and drilling.
They knew enough to make sure we had lots of time to S, S, and S before we played evenings at the Officers" Club or in nearby
towns, who loved the free entertainment.
Ahh, the memories!!
jr/John
jr/John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Re: jawline ...... blade buffing does the best job for me --- but as Gordon and others have noted, blade angle is key -- regardless of what technique you use on those hard-to-shave areas.

Re: shower before shave -- that's what I do most days, but if I feel like a shave, I don't jump in the shower first.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

JRTASTER wrote:
Squire wrote:The vivid recollection I have of shaving in the field out of a steel pot is wishing I could also take a shower.
Squire,
God, yes! Those field baths were just awful! the only small consolation is that you didn't smell any worse than the next guy!
The irony was my MOS was "bandsman." but my unit was attached to an armored division, often in field maneuvers.
Each day we were bussed from the field to our rehearsal barracks for 6-8 hours of practice and drilling.
They knew enough to make sure we had lots of time to S, S, and S before we played evenings at the Officers" Club or in nearby
towns, who loved the free entertainment.
Ahh, the memories!!
jr/John
We used a coffee cup for a shave if I remember correctly. One of the guys rummaged up a canvas bag shower, we filled it with a couple of gallons of cold water, hung it on something and showered as fast as possible. Not fun. Getting a shower and shaving the same day was unbelievable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My idea of roughing it is staying at the Super8 rather than a Marriott. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?