SCHWARWEISSKERAMIK SCUTTLE

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
JRTASTER

SCHWARWEISSKERAMIK SCUTTLE

Post by JRTASTER »

Ok, I give up.

I see from the SOTD Forum several SMF-ers use the Schwarzweisskeramik scuttle with their shave SOAPS and my curiosity
prompted me to goggle it. Well after trying to decipher their English-language instructions, they had me doubting my fluency
in my native tongue!
So to John , Johnny, or others who use this scuttle can you help me figure out exactly how one would use the scuttle with
a normal size shave soap, like MWF, DR Harris or the like. Step-by-step would be most helpful.
If I owned one, its use might be apparent but working from their illustrations and instructions, it's baffled me.
Many thanks for any help/guidance.
jr/John
p.s. did the users buy it directly from the German manufacturer? How was the ordering/shipping process?
If purchased from a U.S.-based vendor, can you identify same??
A Moss Scuttle has been considered, but it seems to have been designed to work best with creams not soaps and the
soap bar doesn't appear to be stored/used in the scuttle itself, which would be preferred.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
churchilllafemme

Re: SCHWARWEISSKERAMIK SCUTTLE

Post by churchilllafemme »

I bought mine on eBay, but I think most folks buy directly from the manufacturer's site or a BST section of a forum. I know of no U.S. distributors.
My XL scuttle has no holes for soap drainage, so it would not work at all for soap storage between shaves, unless I went to the trouble of fishing the soap out, drying it and the lathering bowl of the scuttle, and replacing the soap in the bowl, which is too messy and too much trouble. I have several scuttles (DB, Moss, SRD, Becker), and none of them would work well for soap storage. I simply load my brush from whatever container my soap inhabits, then use the scuttle bowl for building lather and resting the brush between passes. I like this process better than face lathering, and the scuttle bowl keeps the lather warm.
_______
John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

John,
Thanks....an eye-opener re: soap storage. Sort of a turn-off, as storage between shaves was really a
big selling point.
Glad I asked! (and you replied)!!
jr?john
jr/John
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I agree with everything John said about the SWK Scuttle. I did buy mine direct from the manufacture in Germany and it was a very easy process. Took about 7 days for it to arrive.

I wrote a review on my scuttle and if you would care to read it, you can find it here: http://shavenook.com/thread-schwarzweis ... le-aka-swk
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
brothers

Post by brothers »

Johnny, nicely done! I've also had occasion to deal with Ansgar, the potter who makes these, and he is as you say, a pleasure to deal with. He is a member of SMF. I am very interested in the SWK basic model, as a result of your review. I have a DB 1.5 and an Israeli scuttle made by Michal. Both of those are outstanding, but obviously the SWK is also. Thanks for the link.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
RonCall

Post by RonCall »

I had a XL first but found that to deep for my liking, I now have a S Scuttle and that's better for me. Dimensions are the same just less deep. packaging and delivery time where very good.
“I’m just a spiritual being having a human experience”
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Well, thanks for the link...the one that popped up when Googled was tough to figure out!

Some beautiful stuff, BUT, when the entire package of a scuttle, soap bowl, lid and over $ 25 in shipping
is calculated the whole shebang is up around $120.

I have the money but for now there are better uses for it!.

The discussion and info were excellent and everyone's input was very helpful!

jr/John
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

For a while I had one of the XL Schwarzweisskeramik scuttles, but I decided it was just too large for my needs. It sold easily on the shaving forum BST. I've been trying to stay alert in case anybody wants to sell their "Basic" version, like the one Johnny has in his review. It's interesting that Ansgar puts his spout on the same side as the handle.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444