Newbie on Board

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Newbie on Board

Post by jww »

Lots of good first options available -- the Tweezerman (already mentioned above), also the C&E badger for under $50 USD. Vullfix make lots of OEM brushes for under $50 as well --- any would be an excellent alternative.

If you are willing to go down the path of breaking in a boar -- then Omega or Semogue make excellent products, many of which can be had at under $25USD if you shop around.

My first badger was a Vullfix OEM from The Rose and Co. Apothecary in Howarth (stores in Leeds as well) and I still find it an outstanding brush and have it in my rotation on a regular basis. My wife gave me an Edwin Jagger C&E Super Badger brush a number of years ago for Christmas and it's another great one -- a real incredible lather producer from the face or a bowl. My Duke 2 and Wee Scot are both ---- well everything a Simpson brush is purported to be. But I didn't get the Simpsons until back last spring. Enjoy shopping.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Murray, that's not what I wrote, at least that's not the meaning I intended someone to walk away with. I was writing in generalities and stated so twice just to make sure that no one missed it. That has been my observation over the years and since it's been my observation I stand by what I have observed and stated that observation. Yes, the handles for bowl lathering tend to be longer also. If you buck the generality I have noticed, good for you. Obviously YMMV is still in effect and then clearly I wasn't referring to you. Sorry if I gave that impression. I'm sure there is someone "out there" who uses a Chubby3 for face leathering, but I'd wager the vast majority of those brushes are used for bowl lathering. The same holds true I'd wager for the humongous Omegas. What are they, 65mm in loft? Just huge.

I FL and I too use smaller brushes with short handles. Small brushes, even the WeeScot and Li'l Bambino, hold plenty of lather for subsequent passes for a FLer. That's the case for me since the lions share of the required lather is needed for the first pass and subsequent passes don't require nearly as much lather. A thin layer is all that's required at least for me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Da1e

Post by Da1e »

Brian...If there were only someone who knew something about brushes I could talk to :) Good Information.

Gary..Keep it simple...You really don't know me do you :) You know I have to make sure the handle colors work well with each other right. And thanks for the welcome.

I will probably bowl lather & face lather & palm lather & maybe even belly button lather, who knows what will happen when I get going.

I will start with a badger brush. Sounds like Simpson & Vullfix are ranked pretty highly. I am sure there aren't too many bad ones out there.

I am working on a BullGoose order now.

Thanks everyone.
Dale
brothers

Post by brothers »

Everything you wrote seems quite normal and proper, you are :D in friendly territory.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Dale, Vulfix brushes have a taller, very flexible loft and they are not very densely packed. At least, my older Vulfix 375 fits this description. This makes it very efficient for lathering in a bowl, while most would find it too "floppy" for face-lathering with circular motions. It might work for face-lathering if you lathered with back-and-forth strokes, like painting, but I don't think many face-latherers use this technique.

Simpson brushes with shorter lofts would serve you well for face-lathering, and they could be used for bowl-lathering, as well.

- Murray
Da1e

Post by Da1e »

Thanks for the info Murray. I am looking for a brush with a knot around 20 to 22 mm and and loft of around 50mm for my first one.
Dale
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Welcome to SMF; glad to see you here and hope you'll partcipate and contribute.
There is sometimes some chat re: guns and such here, so you can help us all by
sharng your knowlege and expertise on your other hobbies!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Da1e

Post by Da1e »

Thank you for the welcome John. I am not so sure about the 'expertise' but I do love to talk about my other hobbies.
Dale