Hey, Hey, Newbie....... Every Day Shave?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
DirtyBird96

Hey, Hey, Newbie....... Every Day Shave?

Post by DirtyBird96 »

I have been watching youtube videos of people shaving with safety blades and it has got me really interested.

I have a ritual before I go out to cruise the ladies, and part of that ritual is to shave. Under the chin around the Adam's Apple part of my neck is the most difficult. I frequently get razor burns(With electric shaver). Are safety razors for me? Can I shave everyday with reduced razor burn? Again, it is part of ritual, so I do need to do it everyday.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Hey, Hey, Newbie....... Every Day Shave?

Post by fallingwickets »

definitely.......the forum is full of success stories ; both shave and girl related
de gustibus non est disputandum
DirtyBird96

Post by DirtyBird96 »

What do you think of..........

Edwin Jagger DE89L Lined Chrome Safety Razor

I just don't know if some handles are not compatible with others. I was thinking in terms of companies making the handles specifically so you have to buy there blades. What kind of blades do you recommend? How often should I change out my blades?

Apologies for the rapid questions, lol. I got excited :D
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Welcome aboard! The EJ89 is definitely a good start, it's not super mild but gives a good shave with most any blade i've used in it. On blades tho you should try a sampler pack from some of the shaving supply sites or make your own. When it comes to blades no one blade will work for everyone so try several. As for how long each will last, there is no science to it, but I believe that Squire (who I'm sure will be along at any time) put it best when he says "I let the blade tell me when it's done" paraphrased of course. Check around, you'll find plenty on just about any subject you can think of.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF -- plenty of advise available. Search the forums for new shaving advise and you'll have enough information to keep you busy for a good while.

I recommend a vintage Gillette tech to anyone who is converting from electric or multi-cartridge. It is the most mild and forgiving razor that I can imagine and is a great one to learn on. Don't expect perfection right off the bat - DE shaving is an art form, or talent if you will, that takes time to develop. Patience may well be the most important ingredient to the recipe of wet shaving with a DE, SE or straight razor.

Check out Mantic's videos -- they are a must for gaining an understanding preparation, razor angle and blade pressure.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Blade shaving is definitely dependent on technique. Will it work for you? No one can tell at this point. It all depends on you. It certainly can work however.

You have access to the archives and all of the information is there. There's no mystery. if you have questions we're here.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, DB96.

Yes, single-blade shaving could work for you, though, as has been pointed out already, you will need to develop the skill to get the most from it.

An Edwin Jagger would be a very good razor if you want to buy new. Most three-piece razors use the same thread, so handles tend to be interchangeable. Wendell's recommendation of a vintage Gillette Tech, as a mild razor good for learning, is also good. I used one of these for over three years, exclusively.

- Murray
giammi

Post by giammi »

and don't forget to apply a good aftershave
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
DirtyBird96

Post by DirtyBird96 »

giammi wrote:and don't forget to apply a good aftershave

What do you like?

Thanks all for the help everyone.
brothers

Post by brothers »

DirtyBird96 wrote:

What do you like?

DB, there are hundreds of aftershaves from which you'll need to try to identify your personal favorites, and that is a never-ending process. I'd suggest you take a walk through the archives, check out that particular forum, run some word searches, and you'll see that everybody has his own list of favorites. As you read through the archives, you'll start seeing there have been in the past, and are at the present time, a number of guys who've developed special interests in men's fragrances. It's a wealth of information just waiting for you to find and appreciate it. If you start posting there, you'll probably start educating yourself on what you like and don't like, as you begin to find yourself curious about this one or that one, based on other guys' remarks. That's a priceless collection of helpful and educational information. Enjoy! Looks like you've come to the right place. Oh, by the way, my favorite is . . . . I don't know!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The best aftershave is the one that works for you without having so strong a scent as to offend or disable half the population.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
DirtyBird96

Post by DirtyBird96 »

jww wrote:The best aftershave is the one that works for you without having so strong a scent as to offend or disable half the population.

I can only imagine Kung Fu after shave now. Like chuck norris, even the after effects of my beard will knock a man down with shortest of presence :lol:
brothers

Post by brothers »

Stay away from English Leather. :shock:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

DB you asked if you could shave everyday with reduced razor burn, actually you can shave every day without any razor burn.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

DB,
Welcome to SMF!!!
Read, learn and participate!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
giammi

Post by giammi »

DirtyBird96 wrote:

What do you like?

I agree with Wendell's answer.

What you can do is try the sampler packs from Trumper and probably other producers and find the one you like.
http://www.trumpers.com/product_detail. ... =111547656
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Quite right!....daily, no razor burn...nada. However, as has been pointed out, shaving with double-edge razors well is a learned skill. Not all THAT difficult, but a learned skill none the less. So, take the above advice; research our site a bit, ask any specific questions you may have, experiment, and have a little patience with yourself while you learn. For the gents here, shaving is a pleasure rather than some necessary chore.
Regards,
Gordon