New Path To BBS

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Ouchmychin

New Path To BBS

Post by Ouchmychin »

Today I shaved with a single edge BIC Steel razor and Cremo brushless. When I had polished as close as I could I rinsed thoroughly, dried and applied St. Charles Place Camel aftershave balm. It is thick and greasy and very soothing but it leaves a greasy film on my skin. Then I got a bright? idea. I grabbed the BIC and began polishing all over again using that greasy film as lubricant. I stroked away and got much closer than I ever could using the Cremo alone. The protective barrier of Cremo seems to prevent me from getting fully to bbs with as many polishing strokes as is possible without scraping irritation. It worked very well and I am sitting here all polished up and so smooth. Hope this helps some who might have a similar problem getting to bbs. By the way, with brush and lather I get even worse irritation than Cremo when I try to polish too well.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
CMur12

Re: New Path To BBS

Post by CMur12 »

Pete, that's quite a breakthrough, especially when you consider that it was starting to look like there wouldn't be one.

This discovery is consistent with your earlier experimentation with heavy, oily brushless creams, except that the aftershave balm in this case appears to offer much the same benefit while being lighter and allowing you a closer cut.

I make my lather with more water than most because, in my personal experience, cushion impedes the cut. Lubricity/glide provdes me the needed protection, so I use wet lather and a mild razor.

Pete, thanks for including us in your latest discovery. Your willingness to think outside the box has produced some useful results.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good news,Pete! There ya' go. I'm happy to hear your successful results.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

That's a very interesting approach.
_______
John
rexcarolus

Post by rexcarolus »

Pete, that is interesting indeed. I may have missed some of the back story, but my experience is that brushless shaving media doesn't work very well. Wetshaving for me is a three-legged stool: brush, soap/cream, and razor. Remove any leg and you fall on your backside. I personally don't go for BBS--for me it is self-defeating at this time. The irritation isn't worth it. I do three passes on my face: WTG, XG (E-W), XG (W-E). I follow the paths of least resistance on my neck. A close comfortable daily shave is the pinnacle for me.

If I do want to go smoother, I will try against the grain. Gordon's suggestion of using a shave stick for touch ups in the final polishing/buffing works the best of any method I've tried for getting to ultimate smoothness.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Rex, the back story is that Pete did his time with brush and soap or cream, and he didn't get the results he sought. He has experimented with some unique combinations of products - all brushless - and improved his results. What he describes here is somewhat typical of his experimentation and his breakthroughs.

- Murray
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Pete,

Good to hear the news about the BBS shave without blood at last. When I go for a BBS shave (which is not the often anymore) I will sometimes use a "Last Pass Shave Oil" which is a concoction of a former SMF member whose name will go unmentioned. I will send you the recipe by PM if you like. It is about 6 oils that he combined in a specific proportion to get a very slick oil to put on the face and do a "Last Pass" of blade buffing.

For the most part I now forgo the Last Pass Shave Oil and just pick up a bit of the later from my bowl or brush with a finger and apply that lightly to the areas that I want to blade buff. Seems to work most of the time. But for a BBS that last a good while I think using the slickness of the ASB or the Last Pass Shave Oil will work the best.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

In the end, wet shaving is about personal technique and routine .... and as soon as you land on what works for you, you tend not to be eager to change it up.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can say that I, similarly to Pete, have found at least two brushless shaving products that perform quite well for me. And, yes, from time to time, I've experienced what seems to be a change in the final results. We've got to keep hammering away at these issues, and finding alternate ways to the satisfactory results we want.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

For me the canned goo like the Nivea sensitive works just as well as say some soaps. I am only using them cause I have and don't want to throw away. Applying a spray gel is more messy for sure. You might gets some goo on your nose while breathing so it is best to breath with the mouth lol. I share Brothers thoughts. It is not like any newbie DE shaver really needs any brush as a start and need to complicate matters as how protective instead too much runny the lather is. Just my thoughts. ;)

EDIT: NOT that you are a newbie Pete of course.
Jarmo
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If I want to polish at the end of a shave water works fine. Of course there is still a thin residual layer from the lather but the real trick to shaving very closely is to shave very slowly.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Like Pete, hardly a newbie but I found some interesting tips here... thanks!
I've recently been trying to go a bit slower. And to concentrate on taking
shorter strokes. My problem jawline has responded nicely, but my upper lip
and chin, where I had routinely been using very short strokes, because of
the topography, still requires a lot of extra work.
I guess this is more of a journey with the final goal of the "zipless shave"
always close but never quite in our grasp.
A trip worth embarking on, for sure!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Today I did the Camel bbs polish again. I had been experimenting with the mineral oil for the polish lube, but it wasn't as protective as Camel. Doesn't have fragrance either (not that I really love the odor). I previously mixed it with some Eau de Portugal to "improve" it but didn't today. So far, this balm gives the right combination of lubricating and making the stubble stand tall for polishing. Guess I'll get more when this bottle runs out. Note: I am editing this post because I just read the ingredient list for St Charles Shave's "Sahara" after shave balm. Now I think I know why I couldn't even recall the right name: The main ingredient after water Is Hemp Butter. The next ingredient is Cannibus Sativa Seed Oil. Could Mary Jane have caused my enthusiasm after the polish jobs? I wonder.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:If I want to polish at the end of a shave water works fine. Of course there is still a thin residual layer from the lather but the real trick to shaving very closely is to shave very slowly.
Interesting -- I am a fan of blade-buffing, and find quite the opposite -- a very light touch with a quick wrist makes all the difference for me when touching up. As always -- ymmv.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We're on the same page Wendell, the operative word in my sentence was 'if' as I usually don't need anything.

Quick but light works, very well, but is an advanced technique I wouldn't suggest for those still on the learning curve.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ah yes -- the old "if" word. Got it.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Serious question. When does the shaving end and the buffing/polishing begin? I think my routine includes all of the above but I didn't know there were designated stages to it. What are buffing and polishing?
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

For me, buffing/polishing is after 3 passes w/a/x. I feel my skin and where there is tangible stubble. I "rub" the razor repeatedly in one spot, in all needed directions, with short strokes until the skin feels like it is perfectly smooth. Then I move to the next area and repeat. Without great lubrication, I am risking raw skin. it's a chancy game but someone has to do it.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ahhh, I see. I've always done this, and didn't know it was something extra. :D
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Buffing/polishing is simply working over any residual spots that aren't completely smooth.
Regards,
Squire