Yet another newbie

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Dixieman

Yet another newbie

Post by Dixieman »

Used to wet shave and then fell off the wagon for several years...seduced by the MultiBlade monster marketing. New Years resolution to get back into it. I started early, last week, and so far so good. Have a Merkur slant blade (which I used to use 20 years ago) and it is a bit aggressive, so I am alternating with a Merkur 38C which works better for now. Any thoughts? Also a really dumb question -- my shaving cream from TOBS came in a plastic container with a lid that screws on. Between shaves -- leave the lid off so the cream will dry out? Screw it down tight? Try to remove moisture before screwing it down? Guidance, please.
Hope to hear from many of you, and happy wet shaving in 2014.
brothers

Re: Yet another newbie

Post by brothers »

Dixieman, it's good to have you here as the new year begins. Don't be a stranger!

Does your procedure result in getting a lot of water in the tub of shaving cream?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, what Brothers asked. I generally don't fret about it since hard soaps can use a bit of water, but I suppose there is a point where there could be too much.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF. I always top my creams and soaps after use.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Dixie, welcome aboard.

If you're getting good results from your razors there's no reason to change but if you're like the rest of us you will be getting more anyway. I suggest some vintage Gillette razors and the Schick Krona.

You can reduce the water level in Taylor's shave cream but there's no need as it comes in ready to use form. When you think about it more water will be added to make lather so there's no reason to remove what you will be subsequently be adding back.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself. If you're not having fun then start over.
Regards,
Squire
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Welcome sir and Happy New Year!
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
Dixieman

Post by Dixieman »

Thanks to all for your welcoming words and replies. I will be screwing the lid back on as long as I do not end up with a petri dish science experiment before the cream runs out. I don't end up with a huge amount of water in the tub, just a moderate amount.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Welcome to SMF. Though I am basically a soap user, when creams are used, generally leave them uncapped
for an hour or so after my shave; then cap them tightly.
Some of those hard-to-pronounce and scary sounding ingredients are in the creams to inhibit the growth of
little beasties which might otherwise thrive in a moist environment....at least I hope they do!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Welcome to the forum. I don't get any water in my creams, so I always just close up the container right away. Some drying out seems not to be bad; I have jars of very old Penhaligon's Lords cream that has become solid, but it still works very well.
_______
John