SMF New Guy

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
CarterP

SMF New Guy

Post by CarterP »

New to this forum & have a lot to learn about good shaving. I'm 41 & have been doing this for a long time. However, I wasn't using the best quality of products and decided for my new years resolution to start caring about what I'm putting on my face. :shock:

For starters, I'm looking for a new shave cream. I currently use proraso. Any good recommendations?

Thanks,
Phil
CMur12

Re: SMF New Guy

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Phil!

I only use shave soap, so I can't recommend a cream. I'm sure others will chime in, as there are a lot of good ones to choose from.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Proraso is pretty good. There's Speick and Musgo Real. I don't use many creams either, but I have the 3 named and they're all good. Kiss My Face is another world class shave cream, but made here in the USA.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF, Phil.

Hmm -- lemme think on creams .... while not a teetotaler like Murray, I tend to use soaps almost always. I have a couple of tubes of Trumpers which I am very happy with -- Rose, Limes and Sandalwood.

Proraso is a decent cream --- especially for the price. Anything from DR Harris is good. Castle Forbes is legendary, as are Penhaligon's and Trufitt and Hill. On the side of kind of a cream and kind of a soap is Cella and Razor Rock. A surprisingly good performer for the money is The Body Shop Mecca Root shave cream. It's remarkably good stuff.

I suspect others will have much better insight than this MWF evangelist. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Welcome aboard! I too am mostly a soap guy, but i've had my eyes set on trying Cella at the next opportunity to buy. I've used Coates and it's not bad either, and Bigelow which is the only other cream I've tried and it's made by Proraso anyway. Good luck in your search and don't forget to share your results!
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Welcome, Phil. to SMF! You will find many helpful people here, so join in and feel comfortable!
Mostly a soap man as well, but all the creams mentioned come with great reviews!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Phil. You've started out with one of the best worldwide, however, I do know what you're talking about, and I'd suggest Taylor's creams, because they're inexpensive, excellent, and come in a large variety of distinct fragrances. Did I already say they're excellent creams? Then you have "all of the above" too! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CarterP

Post by CarterP »

brothers wrote:Hi Phil. You've started out with one of the best worldwide, however, I do know what you're talking about, and I'd suggest Taylor's creams, because they're inexpensive, excellent, and come in a large variety of distinct fragrances. Did I already say they're excellent creams? Then you have "all of the above" too! :D
Awesome. Thank you all for your knowledge and suggestions. I have heard a few others that like Taylor of old bond & they are a good price. I may try a couple of those.

However, since so many prefer shave soaps, I might have to give that a try too!

Cheers!
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

CarterP wrote:...However, since so many prefer shave soaps, I might have to give that a try too!
3 words --- Mitchells Wool Fat. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Phil,

I am mainly a cream user. Have tried out many different ones. Did not like the Proraso at all but that is just me. Many guys on SMF like it. Have tried most all the name brand creams like Taylor's Truefitt & Hill, and Trumpers. Also done the thing with some of the Crabtree & Evelyn creams as well as a cream from Tabac.

My favorite of them all is Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil but it is no longer made. I do have a nice stash of it though. Then I go with any of my Taylor's creams followed and not in any order a couple T&H creams as well as a Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (very expensive).

My suggestion to you is give the Taylor's a try. I believe that they will sell you some samples from their website to try out.

Now I know that you asked about creams but I do want to tell you that I do have 2 soaps that I dearly love and work them into my regular rotation. The are Mitchell's Woolfat and Tabac. Have tried other soaps but none give as great a lather and shave as these too. Once you find the creams you like give these two soaps a shot. I am sure you will be satisfied.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Proraso cream has the nice scent to me. But it is a summery shave cream with the menthol cooling content. That we don't need in winter.

I am mostly a soap user and for me MWF and Tabac work the best. I am sure there are many other soaps too, just my limited knowledge. Try to stay away from Arko shave sticks unless you you are prepared to grind them in a container. They give good lather but the scent is is ufff way too much lol.
Jarmo
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Honestly, the best thing you could do would be to order some samples and see what you like. Get the travel size of the nancy boy (nancyboy.com) and then head over to Garry's sample shop (http://sampleshop.blogspot.com) and load up on a bunch of stuff to try. For less than the cost of 1 tub of some of the nicer stuff you can sample a couple of things from all of the major guys and see what works for you.