New to the forum

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
ShadowsDad

Re: New to the forum

Post by ShadowsDad »

Wendell, don't buy "just any" SE razor. Buy with a specific goal in mind and you'll do OK.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am hoping that if I ignore the urge, that the desire will eventually go away ...... like, yeah, right ....... sure ......

What do you suggest as a target first SE razor then ....... (yes, I seem to be digressing down that rat hole).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The easiest mild vintage SE razors to try are the GEM G-bar, Featherweight, and Contour (push button). They all share the same head basically.

A bit harder to find and IMO milder than the above is the GEM '24 short head. I've seen one only and unfortunately I just gave it away so I can't even show you what it looks like. The differences between it and the standard GEM '24 are small and you'd need to put them side by side. Don't confuse the standard '24 for the '24 short head- they shave entirely different. To pick out a GEM '24, first it will say GEM on it. Then, unless someone changed the handle, it will have a finely fluted handle. Also don't confuse it with an EverReady '24, though they don't look anything alike, one might confuse the 2 razors when reading a blurb.
The GEM '24 is to the right of the laying down gold color Jr (not Jr Bar)
Again the short head looks like the GEM '24, with small differences that require comparison. If I find another I'll pick it up since it's so mild and there are folks who want that quality. Just don't hold out much hope.

The last mild razor is the GEM Jr Bar lather catcher. That Jr Bar is much easier to find than the '24 short head and far easier to identify. Here's a picture of one.
The bar is clearly seen going across the head of the razor in the vicinity of the comb.

As long as I know folks want these, I'll keep my eyes open, but not being in acquisition mode it will pretty much be someone approaching me with an "I have this razor..." sort of comment. It does happen.

If you are interested in a modern SE razor, I just tested a loaner Cobra and the angle is pure SE. I had no problem hitting it at the very start of the first pass. The shave was fantastic. The downside is the expense. I would call the razor mildly efficient. If I hadn't known I installed a blade I could have sworn there was no blade in it at all. Whoever makes them did a really fantastic job with the design. I can even get along with the odd handle. My experience with other injectors (what the Cobra most resembles, but it's not an injector) wasn't nearly as positive. I didn't care for it at all.

I found both of the last 2 razors to be so mild as to be close to unusable for me. I had 2 Jr Bars and both shaved identically, so I'm fairly certain that that characteristic is across the board for them all.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks Brian -- great precis.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys are quick to point the way to the primrose path.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

That's an impressive array of hardware!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444