Poll: Question for new members ???

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!

I'm new to SMF and am encouraged to post more often when I get email notice of a reply to my posts.

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 12

brothers

Poll: Question for new members ???

Post by brothers »

For those new members (and not-so-new members too): After you post something on SMF and others reply to your post, do you receive an email from SMF to tell you someone has responded? If you do, can you confirm that getting that email is something that encourages you to check in and read it and then post your own reply?
Last edited by brothers on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marine-mp

Re: Question for new members ???

Post by marine-mp »

Gary, good question and I believe it most definately encourages one to see that others are taking an interest and also taking the time to respond to a new post from a newbie..(myself in that catagory). Even a new DE or SR shaver can have some good intel to pass on. But mostly, I like to read where the really experienced (notice I didn't say OLD!!!) wet shavers exchange ideas and we newer folks are the recipient of that wisdom =D> . Take care. Semper-fi Mike
ps, I sent you a PM. Semper-fi Mike
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend
brothers

Re: Poll: Question for new members ???

Post by brothers »

Mike, don't forget to vote. When I was new to SMF I definitely appreciated it. Those who select this option obviously want it, and those who don't select the option obviously don't want or need it. I need email notifications under certain circumstances. It is almost a necessity when a private message is incoming, or when I'm offering something to the membership for sale or for free. Otherwise checking in every so often becomes a habit after a while. Those who've selected this option might be advised they may or may not actually be receiving them. Either way, if it's been requested but isn't working it could have an effect the ongoing participation of new members.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't use those options, get enough mail as it is.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

I don't use that option, for the same reason that Squire mentioned.
I do check out my posts and threads to learn what others responded.

marc
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't get the notification either. I'll get to it when I get to it. Like Squire I get enough in my inbox. I do receive PM notifications.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

when i was a new member of smf, i hit email refresh button a gazzilion times a day to see if new smf notification mail had arrived LOLOLOL........I still like getting the notifications even if I cant come back to the forum right away to reply
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Long time posters see it from the other side. Hitting SMF becomes a good habit. New guys need to be encouraged to participate, one would think. At least at first. That's why it says new members. Probably doesn't matter anyway if the function's deactivated or broken.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh I expect members will join in when they feel like it.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Oh I expect members will join in when they feel like it.
Yep.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I don't recall ever using the email notification feature of the forum. I just visited on a regular basis -- sometimes too regular. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not at all Wendell, place wouldn't be the same without your shining face.
Regards,
Squire
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

I agree with Squire.

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

We already know how we feel about it. The question is what do the new members think. Not too many of them are responding. This is turning out to be a dud. The big thing is that it is an option. Those of us who are familiar with the system probably opt out of the email notification option, and when I was preparing the post I really and truly presumed the old hands know it is an option. I'm just curious as to how the new members feel about it. Ultimately, as an experiment I went through all of the forums and checked the box that says "subscribe to forum". It's not working anyway, so this whole thread is just pissin' in the wind. 8)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up and giving credit where due, the option now appears to be working. Thanks a million! It didn't fix itself, it took time and expertise, and I appreciate that. Now our new members can activate that option if they wish, and the old hands who don't want that option can continue not receiving emails when a thread has been responded to.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up again, the fix lasted about 16 days.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Alas, guess we'll just have to struggle on.
Regards,
Squire