Rate of soap removal decreases over time?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
gr_elias

Rate of soap removal decreases over time?

Post by gr_elias »

Sometimes when I am lathering triple-milled hard soaps, I underestimate the amount of soap that is loaded on the brush, which in turn results in poor and thin lather. Therefore I return back to the cake and give some more swirls.

However, I noticed that when I work my brush on the cake a little bit more from the time the soapy lather film appears, I get it right. I was wondering that when this film appears, doesn't the rate of soap loading from the cake drops, due to less friction? I've noticed that the cakes of soap last for a long time even if you don't just swirl the brush for 10-15 secs, but you work the lather on the cake.

What do you think about this? Do you work the brush for longer time and if so how long?

I was wondering about this, since my pure, floppy, no-name badger brush gave me better results with the soaps than my luxury Shavemac. I was thinking that since it has softer hair it removes less soap and maybe I have to work a bit more without being afraid that the soap's lifetime might be halved.
Regards,

Elias
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Rate of soap removal decreases over time?

Post by Squire »

Elias I believe what you are experiencing is the surface of the soap is being softened which allows your brush to pick up more. I don't really give any thought to how long I'm taking, rather pay attention to my lather and when it's ready, begin to shave.
Regards,
Squire
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

Squire I am a bit confused on that, because I make lather easier when I don't leave water on the top of the cake to rest, but rather wet the soap and start loading immediately!
Regards,

Elias
brothers

Post by brothers »

Elias, it depends on the soap, and the brush. A boar brush with certain soap will pick up more soap in a short period of time. The softer the badger brush, obviously it's going to take more time on the soap to load it properly. I would just say that each shave is different because of the differences in the soaps and in the brushes. I solved this problem by starting out loading the brush on the soap for a longer period of time, at least 20 to 30 seconds. If you seem to be picking up too much soap you can reduce that. Good luck.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I load to the feel and sight of what I have for proto lather on the brush. Too much is far better than too little.

Too, the "older" the soap in use it will change as the water used from previous loadings soak into the soap. Go by eye and experience rather than time and such. There's only one way to gain experience and you're doing it. You'll get it. Just give it time. The results are not immediate.

Presently I'm getting down to the end of various soaps I want to use up and I find that the dregs in the bottom of the containers are incredibly soft and load rapidly. The top of the soap wasn't nearly as easy to load. I write that to suggest going by eye, feel and experience. Conditions change.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ditto what Squire said...I just watch the lather and don't concern myself with exactly how long it takes, how many swirls, or how much soap I'm using. And I've always swirled a few more times for each lather or even during a lather; I don't even attempt to lather up a brush so that it would do an entire three passes without 'refueling'...never even occurred to me to do so really. And yet, even with all that, a hard milled shave soap like Trumpers would last me around six months even if I used it daily. So, it's hardly extravagant on a cost per shave basis. Just enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

rustyblade wrote:Shave sticks are a great way to solve lather/bad water issues. Rubbing the stick on a bristly beard guarantees to deposit more soap on your face than just lathering a brush directly onto a soap. I also prime the wet brush with the stick to get things started. Couple this with a good stick like Valobra and Palmolive and it's going to be a good shave.
Elias, consider using a stick and see how it works out for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's like a golf swing Elias, just keep on practicing.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:It's like a golf swing Elias, just keep on practicing.
When it comes to wet shaving advise -- this is the best I know of.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
function

Post by function »

jww wrote:
Squire wrote:It's like a golf swing Elias, just keep on practicing.
When it comes to wet shaving advise -- this is the best I know of.
. . . and if you try too hard you will end up 200 yards forward and 75 yards to the right . . . .
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Elias, using it for several days in a row will undoubtedly give you some improvement, and bring back the joy.

I haven't played any golf in far too long. I used to go with my son-in-law, but the houseful of kids came along and the jobs, etc., and recently he played a round for the first time in a year or two. He told me he lost at least a dozen balls and had a sore back, but he did have fun!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Just keep swinging Elias.
Regards,
Squire